Problems with licensing

We have 3 Windows 2000 Server and one W2003 server in our
network.
We recently installed the W2003 to be a DC along with our
current W2000 DC. One of the other W2000 servers,
upgraded from NT4, where also DC and PDC emulator. Now we
wanted to make this server a stand alone server only so
we demoted it. The problem was that our Terminal server
licenses and the server licenses seemed to lie on that
server. The TS stopped accepting new licenses. we
reinstalled the W2000 TS licenses on the current W2000 DC
but the TS licensemanager still can't find any
licenseserver. Though choosing connect, manually entering
the DC servername connects correctly and shows the
licenses.
Also looking on the DC on the network licensing all the
server and exchange licenses are gone. Trying to add them
results in the application not responding.

What is the solution to these license problems?

Regards,
Patrik Gisselsson

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for posting here!

Let us try the below general steps to solve this issue:

1. Uninstall Terminal Service Licensing on the Windows 2000 Domain
Controller

2. Reinstall Terminal Service Licensing on the Windows 2000 Domain
Controller

3. Activate Windows 2000 Domain Controller

4. Install License Key Packs on Windows 2000 Domain Controller

5. Delete the below MSlicensing Key on Windows 2000 Terminal Servers

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing

To do this, follow these steps:

A. Click "Start", click "Run", type "regedit" (without the quotation
marks) in the "Open" box, and then click "OK".

B. In Registry Editor, locate and expand the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing

C. Right-click the key, and then click "Export" and save it as REG file for
backup.

D. Right-click the key, and then click "Delete"

6. Change defaultlicenseserver registry value to point to Win2k Terminal
Service Licensing Server

defaultlicenseserver registry value exists under the below registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\Parameters

7. Reboot the Terminal servers

For additioanl information, please visit the below articles in Microsoft
knowledge base:

239107 Establishing Preferred Windows 2000 Terminal Services License Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=239107

839878 Terminal Services Licensing Wizard cannot install additional client
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=839878

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Update" <technet@update.se>
| Sender: "Update" <technet@update.se>
| Subject: Problems with licensing
| Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 04:19:15 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
|
| We have 3 Windows 2000 Server and one W2003 server in our
| network.
| We recently installed the W2003 to be a DC along with our
| current W2000 DC. One of the other W2000 servers,
| upgraded from NT4, where also DC and PDC emulator. Now we
| wanted to make this server a stand alone server only so
| we demoted it. The problem was that our Terminal server
| licenses and the server licenses seemed to lie on that
| server. The TS stopped accepting new licenses. we
| reinstalled the W2000 TS licenses on the current W2000 DC
| but the TS licensemanager still can't find any
| licenseserver. Though choosing connect, manually entering
| the DC servername connects correctly and shows the
| licenses.
| Also looking on the DC on the network licensing all the
| server and exchange licenses are gone. Trying to add them
| results in the application not responding.
|
| What is the solution to these license problems?
|
| Regards,
| Patrik Gisselsson

Hi Feng Mao!

Thanks for the reply.

The Terminal server licenses is ok with Your help, but I
still have big problems with my W2000/2003 client
licenses.

How do I reset the server license information and default
licence server for the whole domain so that I can add the
licenses again?

Does it matter if I have the license server on the W2000
DC or W2003 DC?

Thankful for any help.

Regards,
Patrik

your newsreader so
>that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
confers no rights.
>--------------------
>| From: "Update" <technet@update.se>
>| Sender: "Update" <technet@update.se>
>| Subject: Problems with licensing
>| Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 04:19:15 -0700
>| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
>|
>| We have 3 Windows 2000 Server and one W2003 server in
our
>| network.
>| We recently installed the W2003 to be a DC along with
our
>| current W2000 DC. One of the other W2000 servers,
>| upgraded from NT4, where also DC and PDC emulator. Now
we
>| wanted to make this server a stand alone server only
so
>| we demoted it. The problem was that our Terminal
server
>| licenses and the server licenses seemed to lie on that
>| server. The TS stopped accepting new licenses. we
>| reinstalled the W2000 TS licenses on the current W2000
DC
>| but the TS licensemanager still can't find any
>| licenseserver. Though choosing connect, manually
entering
>| the DC servername connects correctly and shows the
>| licenses.
>| Also looking on the DC on the network licensing all
the
>| server and exchange licenses are gone. Trying to add
them
>| results in the application not responding.
>|
>| What is the solution to these license problems?
>|
>| Regards,
>| Patrik Gisselsson
>|

>.

Hi Patrik,

Thank you for the reply!

I am glad to hear that the Terminal Server Licenses was solved by my
suggestion.

On the Terminal Service client, you can specify or change the terminal
service license server by modifying the registry key as the below steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks),
and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\Parameters
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
4. Name the new key "LicenseServers".
5. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TermService\Parameters\
LicenseServers
6. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
7. Name the new key "<ServerName>" where <ServerName> is the NetBIOS name
of the license server that you want to use, and then press ENTER.
Note The new key name can be any of the following designations that
represent the license server:
The NetBIOS Name of the server
The fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) of the server
The IP Address of the server
8. Restart your computer.

I hope that the above information is helpful.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
| From: "Update" <technet@update.se>
| Sender: "Update" <technet@update.se>
| Subject: RE: Problems with licensing
| Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:50:14 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
|
| Hi Feng Mao!
|
| Thanks for the reply.
|
| The Terminal server licenses is ok with Your help, but I
| still have big problems with my W2000/2003 client
| licenses.
|
| How do I reset the server license information and default
| licence server for the whole domain so that I can add the
| licenses again?
|
| Does it matter if I have the license server on the W2000
| DC or W2003 DC?
|
| Thankful for any help.
|
| Regards,
| Patrik

| >|
| >| We have 3 Windows 2000 Server and one W2003 server in
| our
| >| network.
| >| We recently installed the W2003 to be a DC along with
| our
| >| current W2000 DC. One of the other W2000 servers,
| >| upgraded from NT4, where also DC and PDC emulator. Now
| we
| >| wanted to make this server a stand alone server only
| so
| >| we demoted it. The problem was that our Terminal
| server
| >| licenses and the server licenses seemed to lie on that
| >| server. The TS stopped accepting new licenses. we
| >| reinstalled the W2000 TS licenses on the current W2000
| DC
| >| but the TS licensemanager still can't find any
| >| licenseserver. Though choosing connect, manually
| entering
| >| the DC servername connects correctly and shows the
| >| licenses.
| >| Also looking on the DC on the network licensing all
| the
| >| server and exchange licenses are gone. Trying to add
| them
| >| results in the application not responding.
| >|
| >| What is the solution to these license problems?
| >|
| >| Regards,
| >| Patrik Gisselsson
| >|