Setting up the taskbar

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Is "taskbar" the right name? It's the area at the bottom of the
screen to the immediate right of the START icon.

I used to put shortcuts to my most favorite programs in this area by
dragging them from the desktop. Now I cannot seem to do that. Has
SP2 taken this ability away, or am I just doing something wrong? Or
has a virus invaded?

bytor

In article <b00841lod5qui6p9h801i4nn6i8n1rs9na@4ax.com>, gary_w1
@hotmail.com, Gary says...

> Is "taskbar" the right name? It's the area at the bottom of the
> screen to the immediate right of the START icon.
>
> I used to put shortcuts to my most favorite programs in this area by
> dragging them from the desktop. Now I cannot seem to do that. Has
> SP2 taken this ability away, or am I just doing something wrong? Or
> has a virus invaded?

It's actually called the "Quick Launch" area that's "within" the task
bar so you're half right.... ;0)

If nothing is there at all than you have to set it to "show quick
launch"...To do this right click an empty area on the task bar & click
properties.....In the taskbar tab put a check in "Show Quick Launch"

If quick launch is showing already than uncheck "lock the taskbar"

Either will do it.....Locking the taskbar prevents the shorcuts from
being created there...FYI

Good Luck..........

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thank you...it worked like a charm. Not only can I set up icons...all
the icons I used to have are back!

One small wrinkle...when I entered "Show quick launch" (the taskbar
was not locked), it changed the taskbar to 2 lines. I'd prefer it to
be one line, but it will not respond to my efforts to drag the upper
boundary down to one line. Do you have a magic solution to this?

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:43:56 -0500, ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:

>In article <b00841lod5qui6p9h801i4nn6i8n1rs9na@4ax.com>, gary_w1
>@hotmail.com, Gary says...
>
>> Is "taskbar" the right name? It's the area at the bottom of the
>> screen to the immediate right of the START icon.
>>
>> I used to put shortcuts to my most favorite programs in this area by
>> dragging them from the desktop. Now I cannot seem to do that. Has
>> SP2 taken this ability away, or am I just doing something wrong? Or
>> has a virus invaded?
>>

>It's actually called the "Quick Launch" area that's "within" the task
>bar so you're half right.... ;0)
>
>If nothing is there at all than you have to set it to "show quick
>launch"...To do this right click an empty area on the task bar & click
>properties.....In the taskbar tab put a check in "Show Quick Launch"
>
>If quick launch is showing already than uncheck "lock the taskbar"
>
>Either will do it.....Locking the taskbar prevents the shorcuts from
>being created there...FYI
>
>Good Luck..........

bytor

In article <av3841hbre1urlvmkuevhds2pd59gb82e3@4ax.com>, gary_w1
@hotmail.com, Gary says...

> Thank you...it worked like a charm. Not only can I set up icons...all
> the icons I used to have are back!
>
> One small wrinkle...when I entered "Show quick launch" (the taskbar
> was not locked), it changed the taskbar to 2 lines. I'd prefer it to
> be one line, but it will not respond to my efforts to drag the upper
> boundary down to one line. Do you have a magic solution to this?

Sorry for my response being below but I'm not much of a top poster

Not sure I understand but the far right line you should be able to just
grab with the pointer & pull to the right? Or I'm assuming you mean it
doubled in size upward???Are you sure the taskbar did not lock itself
again? That would also prevent you from dragging it back to normal
size.....

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:43:56 -0500, ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <b00841lod5qui6p9h801i4nn6i8n1rs9na@4ax.com>, gary_w1
> >@hotmail.com, Gary says...
> >
> >> Is "taskbar" the right name? It's the area at the bottom of the
> >> screen to the immediate right of the START icon.
> >>
> >> I used to put shortcuts to my most favorite programs in this area by
> >> dragging them from the desktop. Now I cannot seem to do that. Has
> >> SP2 taken this ability away, or am I just doing something wrong? Or
> >> has a virus invaded?
> >>

> >It's actually called the "Quick Launch" area that's "within" the task
> >bar so you're half right.... ;0)
> >
> >If nothing is there at all than you have to set it to "show quick
> >launch"...To do this right click an empty area on the task bar & click
> >properties.....In the taskbar tab put a check in "Show Quick Launch"
> >
> >If quick launch is showing already than uncheck "lock the taskbar"
> >
> >Either will do it.....Locking the taskbar prevents the shorcuts from
> >being created there...FYI
> >
> >Good Luck..........

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sad, but true. The task bar did not lock itself again. And you are
right...I'm talking about the HEIGHT of the taskbar.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:45:36 -0500, ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:

>In article <av3841hbre1urlvmkuevhds2pd59gb82e3@4ax.com>, gary_w1
>@hotmail.com, Gary says...
>
>> Thank you...it worked like a charm. Not only can I set up icons...all
>> the icons I used to have are back!
>>
>> One small wrinkle...when I entered "Show quick launch" (the taskbar
>> was not locked), it changed the taskbar to 2 lines. I'd prefer it to
>> be one line, but it will not respond to my efforts to drag the upper
>> boundary down to one line. Do you have a magic solution to this?
>
>Sorry for my response being below but I'm not much of a top poster
>
>Not sure I understand but the far right line you should be able to just
>grab with the pointer & pull to the right? Or I'm assuming you mean it
>doubled in size upward???Are you sure the taskbar did not lock itself
>again? That would also prevent you from dragging it back to normal
>size.....
>

>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:43:56 -0500, ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <b00841lod5qui6p9h801i4nn6i8n1rs9na@4ax.com>, gary_w1
>> >@hotmail.com, Gary says...

>> >It's actually called the "Quick Launch" area that's "within" the task
>> >bar so you're half right.... ;0)
>> >
>> >If nothing is there at all than you have to set it to "show quick
>> >launch"...To do this right click an empty area on the task bar & click
>> >properties.....In the taskbar tab put a check in "Show Quick Launch"
>> >
>> >If quick launch is showing already than uncheck "lock the taskbar"
>> >
>> >Either will do it.....Locking the taskbar prevents the shorcuts from
>> >being created there...FYI
>> >
>> >Good Luck..........

bytor

In article <o7jb41dps977le6ju5e7daohadbo3cmbc3@4ax.com>, gary_w1
@hotmail.com, Gary says...

> Sad, but true. The task bar did not lock itself again. And you are
> right...I'm talking about the HEIGHT of the taskbar.

Hmmmm, that's a new one on me. At the moment my XP test partition is not
available for reference, machines are busy busy busy doing
things.....You may have a situation that I possibly might not be able to
replicate, it can be unique to another cause.....What I would suggest is
start another thread stating your problem and I'm sure someone can nip
it for ya.....In the meantime I'll keep ya in mind...........

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks. You've been terrific!

In article <48dd411l1hd83jdfk07bgtq7fcv6scs61l@4ax.com>, gary_w1
@hotmail.com, Gary says...

> Thanks. You've been terrific!
>
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:23:00 -0500, ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <o7jb41dps977le6ju5e7daohadbo3cmbc3@4ax.com>, gary_w1
> >@hotmail.com, Gary says...
> >
> >> Sad, but true. The task bar did not lock itself again. And you are
> >> right...I'm talking about the HEIGHT of the taskbar.
> >
> >Hmmmm, that's a new one on me. At the moment my XP test partition is not
> >available for reference, machines are busy busy busy doing
> >things.....You may have a situation that I possibly might not be able to
> >replicate, it can be unique to another cause.....What I would suggest is
> >start another thread stating your problem and I'm sure someone can nip
> >it for ya.....In the meantime I'll keep ya in mind...........

No prob....As I said start a new thread somebody will get ya. I have a
crisis right now, I think my "bunn" commercial coffee machine blew, ya
know makes a pot of coffee in like 30 seconds.....Argh, argh, argh.....

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:51:57 -0500, ByTor wrote:

> In article <48dd411l1hd83jdfk07bgtq7fcv6scs61l@4ax.com>, gary_w1
> @hotmail.com, Gary says...
>

> No prob....As I said start a new thread somebody will get ya. I have a
> crisis right now, I think my "bunn" commercial coffee machine blew, ya
> know makes a pot of coffee in like 30 seconds.....Argh, argh, argh.....

Did ya try restarting the machine yet? ;^)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

bytor

In article <uIZ1YutMFHA.3760@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org, Sharon F says...

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 08:51:57 -0500, ByTor wrote:
>
> > In article <48dd411l1hd83jdfk07bgtq7fcv6scs61l@4ax.com>, gary_w1
> > @hotmail.com, Gary says...
> >

> > No prob....As I said start a new thread somebody will get ya. I have a
> > crisis right now, I think my "bunn" commercial coffee machine blew, ya
> > know makes a pot of coffee in like 30 seconds.....Argh, argh, argh.....
>
> Did ya try restarting the machine yet? ;^)

Yep, He, He....Rebooted it....Had a cup of Espresso instead, WHEW!!
Argh, argh, argh.....ready to tackle anything now..........