Installing IIS at later date after Unattend client install?

Tags:
  • IIS
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 10, 2004 12:09:57 AM

Hi,

Our client win2k machines are currently built using WinNT.exe and
unattend.txt over the network.

I needed to install IIS on one machine today for developers to use, and
it said it couldn't find the install path and prompted for the "Windows
2000 SP4 CD". I made sure I was connected to the network share with the
SP4 integrated distribution and then browsed to the i386 folder. It
installed a bunch of files, but then got stuck asking for _vti_inf.htm
(probably part of the Frontpage extensions). I did a search of the whole
SP4 distribution and could not find this file, so had to back out of the
installation!

There's two unrelated problems:

1. The o/s install path in my registry is pointing to D: instead of the
network share the o/s was originally installed from - this is fairly
common, but has never really caused me any problems.

2. The _vti_inf.htm file does not seem to exist in i386 or anywhere else
so I can't point the installer at it.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

More about : installing iis date unattend client install

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 5:11:53 AM

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:09:57 +0100, Gerry Hickman
<gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Our client win2k machines are currently built using WinNT.exe and
>unattend.txt over the network.
>
>I needed to install IIS on one machine today for developers to use, and
>it said it couldn't find the install path and prompted for the "Windows
>2000 SP4 CD". I made sure I was connected to the network share with the
>SP4 integrated distribution and then browsed to the i386 folder. It
>installed a bunch of files, but then got stuck asking for _vti_inf.htm
>(probably part of the Frontpage extensions). I did a search of the whole
>SP4 distribution and could not find this file, so had to back out of the
>installation!
>
>There's two unrelated problems:
>
>1. The o/s install path in my registry is pointing to D: instead of the
>network share the o/s was originally installed from - this is fairly
>common, but has never really caused me any problems.
>
>2. The _vti_inf.htm file does not seem to exist in i386 or anywhere else
>so I can't point the installer at it.

It might go without saying, but....

any *.htm file surely can't be an absolute necessity for installing
IIS. Surely you tried to "Skip" that file?

--
Dennis C.
!