Installing IIS at later date after Unattend client install?

Hi,

Our client win2k machines are currently built using WinNT.exe and
unattend.txt over the network.

I needed to install IIS on one machine today for developers to use, and
it said it couldn't find the install path and prompted for the "Windows
2000 SP4 CD". I made sure I was connected to the network share with the
SP4 integrated distribution and then browsed to the i386 folder. It
installed a bunch of files, but then got stuck asking for _vti_inf.htm
(probably part of the Frontpage extensions). I did a search of the whole
SP4 distribution and could not find this file, so had to back out of the
installation!

There's two unrelated problems:

1. The o/s install path in my registry is pointing to D: instead of the
network share the o/s was originally installed from - this is fairly
common, but has never really caused me any problems.

2. The _vti_inf.htm file does not seem to exist in i386 or anywhere else
so I can't point the installer at it.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
1 answer Last reply

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:09:57 +0100, Gerry Hickman
    <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Our client win2k machines are currently built using WinNT.exe and
    >unattend.txt over the network.
    >
    >I needed to install IIS on one machine today for developers to use, and
    >it said it couldn't find the install path and prompted for the "Windows
    >2000 SP4 CD". I made sure I was connected to the network share with the
    >SP4 integrated distribution and then browsed to the i386 folder. It
    >installed a bunch of files, but then got stuck asking for _vti_inf.htm
    >(probably part of the Frontpage extensions). I did a search of the whole
    >SP4 distribution and could not find this file, so had to back out of the
    >installation!
    >
    >There's two unrelated problems:
    >
    >1. The o/s install path in my registry is pointing to D: instead of the
    >network share the o/s was originally installed from - this is fairly
    >common, but has never really caused me any problems.
    >
    >2. The _vti_inf.htm file does not seem to exist in i386 or anywhere else
    >so I can't point the installer at it.

    It might go without saying, but....

    any *.htm file surely can't be an absolute necessity for installing
    IIS. Surely you tried to "Skip" that file?

    --
    Dennis C.

IIS Windows