help- rebuild, can't load anything

briardlady

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
It's my 4th build, but more ambitious than the first three. I can't do a clean install of xp, get many errors - can't read files, can't copy files, can't install files. Blue screens, crashes, etc. Where have I gone wrong? What else can I try? My goal was a dual boot with Vista on a separate drive, but that crashes during install too. When I managed to get a pretty bad install of xp, same problems with drivers.

Started when a dvd drive shorted out, took out the PS and Mobo. I started upgrading piecemeal, all that is really left from before is the case.

Intel BX2
C2d e6400
2X 1gb kingston value ram, ddr2 6400, 800 mhz
Evga 7900 gs ko
Ultra 550w PS
Sony dvd / cd
Seagate 300gb 7200.10 SATA
Scorpio case?

I've stripped out everything but the above in case it was PS, but 550 w should be plenty for what I have hooked up (took out 2 SATA HD, 2 gb RAM, PCI card and Modem). Bought a new dvd drive, didn't help. I've flashed the Bios to the latest version, checked SATA drivers to be sure I had the right versions for xp and vista, I've formatted the drive each time to be sure I was starting from scratch. I'vve tried it in and out of the case.

I'm so frustrated, I don't know what to try next! I'm not really interested in OC, so everything is on default settings. What can cause so many errors? Help! Please.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Ultra is not a well known name around here but it looks like a decnt PSU. dual +12v Rails 17A and 18A, and SLI rated, should push his system. I heard about this problem in the Forum but forget the cause. I think it was within the HDD system or it might have been the Intel MB. Someone will remember the thread.

briardlady

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Any idea what phrase to search the forums for? I've read the last couple of months of posts, on several forums.

Bios is updated. I've tried two separate brand new drives. I bought the bx2 because every post about it said it was very stable.

Right now I have a very expensive paperweight sitting on my desk. Help!

buddy

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
If I was you I would try to load xp again without one of the dimms installed and if it crashes again with the one repeat the process with the other dimm this would rule out the memory for sure as I hate the word VALUE on any memory, to me it sounds like memory but it could be motherboard or processor as well and if it still causes you problems after trying the memory you would need to borrow a processor and graphics card to verify these parts but while you are fault finding keep it a min with the parts used to install the operating system. I hope that this helps you. But first if you are fit to pull your hair out a night on the beer before you go at it the following evening.

briardlady

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
When I think of all the hours I wasted! After memtest and switching dimms around, I changed out the Kingston Value Ram for Corsair XMS2 6400C4, changed the settings to 4-4-4-12 @2.0 volts, and it works like a dream. XP, programs, drivers, all loaded with no problems at all.

Next, will I be able to load Vista! Almost afraid to try, but at least I have the drive with xp to fall back on.

Thanks to everyone who posts in response to noobs in this forum. I learned so much just reading!