Migrate user and group information from one server to the ..

We just bought a new server and need migrate all the users
and groups information from the old one to new one, how do
I do that.

There must be an article in KB, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about migrate user group information server

    What OS are you running now? Is this a domain? What OS is on the new server?
    What are you trying to do? Replace your existing server? Add this one to
    your existing network?

    Need to know where you are coming from and where you are going to in order
    to suggest the best route.

    hth
    DDS
    "Jack" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We just bought a new server and need migrate all the users
    > and groups information from the old one to new one, how do
    > I do that.
    >
    > There must be an article in KB, but I couldn't find it.
    >
    > Thanks

    This is a Windows 2000 server, it's a member server in
    domain, not domain controller. We will use the new server
    to replace the existing one, so it will be the same,
    windows 2000 server and not DC.

    Thanks

    Just add the new server to the domain. No need (or way for that matter) to
    add usernames and groups. The DCs hold that info and a member server will
    contact a DC for that info.

    If you need the new server to have the same name as the old, give it a
    temporary name while you copy over files to the new server, remove the old
    server, rename the new server to match the old servername

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    > This is a Windows 2000 server, it's a member server in
    > domain, not domain controller. We will use the new server
    > to replace the existing one, so it will be the same,
    > windows 2000 server and not DC.
    >
    > Thanks

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. The user and group
    information I want to move are LOCAL, not domain users and
    group.

    Sorry about that, and please suggest.
    Thanks
    Jack

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Not sure of the "best" way to do this.

    Try this to get the user/group info from the existing server:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137848&Product=nts40

    Then try this to add them to the new server:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;199878&Product=nts40

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    > I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. The user and group
    > information I want to move are LOCAL, not domain users and
    > group.
    >
    > Sorry about that, and please suggest.
    > Thanks
    > Jack