Migrate user and group information from one server to the ..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
September 15, 2004 10:22:29 AM

We just bought a new server and need migrate all the users
and groups information from the old one to new one, how do
I do that.

There must be an article in KB, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 1:34:51 PM

What OS are you running now? Is this a domain? What OS is on the new server?
What are you trying to do? Replace your existing server? Add this one to
your existing network?

Need to know where you are coming from and where you are going to in order
to suggest the best route.

hth
DDS
"Jack" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We just bought a new server and need migrate all the users
> and groups information from the old one to new one, how do
> I do that.
>
> There must be an article in KB, but I couldn't find it.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 1:34:52 PM

This is a Windows 2000 server, it's a member server in
domain, not domain controller. We will use the new server
to replace the existing one, so it will be the same,
windows 2000 server and not DC.

Thanks

September 15, 2004 2:26:56 PM

Just add the new server to the domain. No need (or way for that matter) to
add usernames and groups. The DCs hold that info and a member server will
contact a DC for that info.

If you need the new server to have the same name as the old, give it a
temporary name while you copy over files to the new server, remove the old
server, rename the new server to match the old servername

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

> This is a Windows 2000 server, it's a member server in
> domain, not domain controller. We will use the new server
> to replace the existing one, so it will be the same,
> windows 2000 server and not DC.
>
> Thanks

September 15, 2004 2:26:57 PM

I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. The user and group
information I want to move are LOCAL, not domain users and
group.

Sorry about that, and please suggest.
Thanks
Jack

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 4:01:06 PM

Not sure of the "best" way to do this.

Try this to get the user/group info from the existing server:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;137848&Product=nts40

Then try this to add them to the new server:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;199878&Product=nts40

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

!