HD partitions

Excuse if too stupid - but I need this explained...

Can I split my hd in two partitions, within Windows XP (Home SP2) and
without reinstalling - and/or loosing data?

I would appreciate any links to tutorials - google is too vague...

Many thanks

M.

bytor

In article <ehxQKHUMFHA.4092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, any@where.net,
Mervian says...

> Excuse if too stupid - but I need this explained...
>
> Can I split my hd in two partitions, within Windows XP (Home SP2) and
> without reinstalling - and/or loosing data?
>
> I would appreciate any links to tutorials - google is too vague...
>
> Many thanks
>
> M.

In order to do this you would have to resize the existing partition to
leave an unallocated area to format. XP in itself does not have this
capability, only on a clean install you can manipulate the PT's. You
would need 3rd party software like PartitionMagic or Acronis.....I know
of no free ones to do this....If you decide to do this be **VERY**
careful, I'd suggest backing your data to CD's DVD's whatever external
capability you have before attempting............

In news:ehxQKHUMFHA.4092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Mervian <any@where.net> typed:

> Excuse if too stupid - but I need this explained...
>
> Can I split my hd in two partitions, within Windows XP (Home
> SP2) and
> without reinstalling - and/or loosing data?

Sorry, but no, you can not do this *within* Windows XP.
Unfortunately, no version of Windows provides any way of changing
the partition structure of the drive nondestructively. The only
way to do what you want is with third-party software. Partition
Magic is the best-known such program, but there are
freeware/shareware alternatives. One such program is BootIt Next
Generation. It's shareware, but comes with a free 30-day trial,
so you should be able to do what you want within that 30 days. I
haven't used it myself, but it comes highly recommended by
several other MVPs here.

Please reply to the newsgroup

What are you trying to achieve? What will the additional partition do for
you that folder management will not do for you? Have you considered an
additional hard drive (I use both internal and external additional drives
and don't partition any of them).

"ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message

> If you decide to do this be **VERY** careful,

Yes it seems it's possible to create a new partion and not notice that the
assigned drive letters letters aren't what you think - if you format the
wrong partion it's bye bye data.

bytor

In article <wgV0e.45616$Yb7.3928166@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be, CWatters says...

> "ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message
>
> > If you decide to do this be **VERY** careful,
>
> Yes it seems it's possible to create a new partion and not notice that the
> assigned drive letters letters aren't what you think - if you format the
> wrong partion it's bye bye data.

Excellent point.... ;0)
Forgot to mention running a PT tool from a bootable disk assigns drives
differently........I'll keep that in mind next time, thanks......

Mister

And as a rider,
I wonder just why it was that Microsoft Didnt include a Partition-Maker in
its latest up to the minute state of the art XP?
Surely no-one here can say it wasnt possible, because anything is
possible.......... in fact, it would have been quite simple to do.

Mr.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:49:14 +1030, mister wrote:

> And as a rider,
> I wonder just why it was that Microsoft Didnt include a Partition-Maker in
> its latest up to the minute state of the art XP?
> Surely no-one here can say it wasnt possible, because anything is
> possible.......... in fact, it would have been quite simple to do.
>
> Mr.

Diskpart.exe is not a "partition-maker" tool? Works for me. It's not
capable of some of the fancier work that third party tools will do but it
covers the basics.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

? "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> ?????? ??? ??????
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:49:14 +1030, mister wrote:

> Diskpart.exe is not a "partition-maker" tool? Works for me. It's not
> capable of some of the fancier work that third party tools will do but it
> covers the basics.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol

Diskpart.exe - Where may I find it? Am I able to use it without formatting
and reinstalling Windows? And - one thing more: how can I compress data into
the first (or any) half?

Thanks for your patience - I am new to Win XP and I've never had to
partition a hd before...

M.

Ï "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

> Yes it seems it's possible to create a new partion and not notice that the
> assigned drive letters letters aren't what you think - if you format the
> wrong partion it's bye bye data.

Sorry for being stupid, I've never used a PT tool before - how can you tell?
Are you given the chance to look more closely before formatting the new
partitions?

M.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:14:19 +0300, Mervian wrote:

> Diskpart.exe - Where may I find it? Am I able to use it without formatting
> and reinstalling Windows? And - one thing more: how can I compress data into
> the first (or any) half?
>
> Thanks for your patience - I am new to Win XP and I've never had to
> partition a hd before...
>
> M.

Diskpart cannot do any of the fancier things third party programs can do.
It is not the tool of choice to do what you propose. For that, you will
want to use one of those third party programs.

For future reference about diskpart: It can delete old partitions and
create new ones. It does most of its work on partitions with *no* data. One
scenario where it can combine partitions without being destructive to data:
add unallocated space to an existing partition. Existing partition and
unallocated space must be next to each other physically on the hard disk.

Start> Help and Support: search for diskpart. The file is stored in the
Windows\system32\ folder. It can be used as a command line tool or use the
partition related menus found in the disk management portion of
Administrative tools.

--

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:14:19 +0300, Mervian wrote:
>
>> Diskpart.exe - Where may I find it? Am I able to use it without
>> formatting
>> and reinstalling Windows? And - one thing more: how can I compress data
>> into
>> the first (or any) half?
>>
>> Thanks for your patience - I am new to Win XP and I've never had to
>> partition a hd before...
>>
>> M.
>

> Diskpart cannot do any of the fancier things third party programs can do.
> It is not the tool of choice to do what you propose. For that, you will
> want to use one of those third party programs.
>
> For future reference about diskpart: It can delete old partitions and
> create new ones. It does most of its work on partitions with *no* data.
> One
> scenario where it can combine partitions without being destructive to
> data:
> add unallocated space to an existing partition. Existing partition and
> unallocated space must be next to each other physically on the hard disk.
>
> Start> Help and Support: search for diskpart. The file is stored in the
> Windows\system32\ folder. It can be used as a command line tool or use the
> partition related menus found in the disk management portion of
> Administrative tools.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol

Many many thanks!

M.

Bonnie

Since I am kind of a beginner, would someone tell me why someone would want
to partition their hard drive? What would be the purpose of this? I am
assuming it means to somehow separate a certain amount of gigabytes from the
rest of the HD.

Bonnie

In news:m9ednVjlxpMwRtTfRVn-uQ@comcast.com,
Bonnie <me@comcast.net> typed:

> Since I am kind of a beginner, would someone tell me why
> someone
> would want to partition their hard drive?

First, a word on the terminology. To "partition" a drive is to
create one or more partitions on it. You *must* partition a
drive, since you can't use it unless it has at least one
partition (usually C:) on it.

So I assume you mean to ask why someone would want to create
*multiple* partitions on the drive.

> What would be the purpose
> of this? I am assuming it means to somehow separate a certain
> amount
> of gigabytes from the rest of the HD.

When you create multiple partitions, you subdivide your drive
into two or more logical drives (usually C:, D:, etc). Each of
these logical drives then appears to you almost exactly as if it
were a completely separate physical drive.

Why would you do this? There are several reasons; I'll mention
what are probably the three most common:

1. If you have a situation where you need to boot more than one
operating system, you need to separate those operating systems on
different partitions. otherwise things meant for one of them are
likely to end up in the other.

2. Depending on your backup strategy, if you place your data
files in a partition separate from the operating system, it can
make it much easier to backup that data alone.

3. A common reason, but a poor one: some people use a second
partition as their means of backing up the first one. I think
this practice is only slightly better than no backup at all, and
I don't recommend it because it leaves you susceptible to
simultaneous loss of the original and backup to many of the most
common dangers: head crashes, severe power glitches, nearby
lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer.

> Ï "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
> >
> > Yes it seems it's possible to create a new partion and not notice that
the
> > assigned drive letters letters aren't what you think - if you format the
> > wrong partion it's bye bye data.
> >

> Sorry for being stupid, I've never used a PT tool before - how can you
tell?
> Are you given the chance to look more closely before formatting the new
> partitions?

A simple way to double check is to never have two partions the same size.
For example if you have a 100G drive and want two partions make one 45G and
the other 55G rather than having two 50G partions. Then it's usually obvious
whick one you are working with because most programs display the rough size
of the partion.

TRENDING THREADS