Windows 7 64-bit can't run old games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suolakeksi

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
This is just a simple question about the 64-bit system(s):

-Can 64-bit systems run old games like age of empires 1-2, Sim city 3000 and so on, or is the problem in my computer/laptop?

Because my new ASUS laptop that has windows7 64-bit can't run old classic games like age of empires, but my older computer that has windows7 32-bit can run them without a problem.

Thanks for the answers! :D

Solution
Like in may things, your mileage will vary. You just have to look at the individual game. Some older games use some or all 16 bit code. While Windows 7 64 bit can run 32 bit code, it will not run 16 bit. Windows 7 32 bit is still backwards compatible with 16 bit code.

As long as it is not a 16 bit code issue, sometimes running the the game in compatibility mode works. Sometime it doesn't. Another solution, if you happen to have a copy of a version of Window 7 32 bit or XP laying around is downloading VMware Player and load up the OS and game in a virtual machine. Most old games will play just fine like this (or if you have Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional, you could try XP mode, but I have always had better luck with VMware).

What...

cmckay

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Like in may things, your mileage will vary. You just have to look at the individual game. Some older games use some or all 16 bit code. While Windows 7 64 bit can run 32 bit code, it will not run 16 bit. Windows 7 32 bit is still backwards compatible with 16 bit code.

As long as it is not a 16 bit code issue, sometimes running the the game in compatibility mode works. Sometime it doesn't. Another solution, if you happen to have a copy of a version of Window 7 32 bit or XP laying around is downloading VMware Player and load up the OS and game in a virtual machine. Most old games will play just fine like this (or if you have Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional, you could try XP mode, but I have always had better luck with VMware).

What will really drive you crazy is when a game will work on one 64 bit machine but not another, with no rhyme or reason. Probably has something to do with difference in display drivers, etc. interacting with older versions of DirectDraw.

VMware is how I have dealt with the issue, but maybe someone smarter than me will have a better solution.

Good luck!

Solution

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Just an addition to the above... If you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate they come with a license to run "XP Mode" which is an already configured version of XP running in a Microsoft VM (as opposed to VMWare). So in this case, having the more expensive version of Windows means you already have access to the tools you need at no additional cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.