SYSPREP from IDE to SCSI? And single CPU to multi?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b à CPUs
a b \ Driver
September 15, 2004 6:48:11 PM

Is it possible to make an image on a single CPU, IDE-based machine (as a
testing platform), and be able to sysprep it to wotk on a single or
multi-CPU machine, SCSI-based, with a RAID controller?

If not single CPU to single/multi, how about single CPU to single CPU,
IDE-to-SCSI? The docs seem to indicate that you can do IDE to SCSI,
presuming that your sysprep.inf has a [SysprepMassStorage] section that
defines the SCSI or RAID controller, and the drivers are available somewhere
in the image (such as c:\drivers\Perc4SC), and a line that reads

OemPnPDriversPath = c:\drivers\Perc4SC

Correct? Or am I totally misunderstanding, and just looking for immense
amounts of pain?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b \ Driver
September 16, 2004 4:49:44 AM

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:48:11 -0400, "Michael Leone"
<mleone@contributionship.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to make an image on a single CPU, IDE-based machine (as a
>testing platform), and be able to sysprep it to wotk on a single or
>multi-CPU machine, SCSI-based, with a RAID controller?
>
>If not single CPU to single/multi, how about single CPU to single CPU,
>IDE-to-SCSI?

This document pretty much covers the gambit of what can be done, in
both cases, and provides additional references for how to go about it.
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838856>

>The docs seem to indicate that you can do IDE to SCSI,
>presuming that your sysprep.inf has a [SysprepMassStorage] section that
>defines the SCSI or RAID controller, and the drivers are available somewhere
>in the image (such as c:\drivers\Perc4SC), and a line that reads
>
>OemPnPDriversPath = c:\drivers\Perc4SC

The line above would have to be
OemPnPDriversPath = \drivers\Perc4SC
Because %systemroot% is automatically added where the c: is.

BUT, that entry is for PnP drivers that will be used during the GUI
portion of the Mini-setup, not during the initial text-mode portion in
which the mass storage controller/s is/are configured.

>Correct? Or am I totally misunderstanding, and just looking for immense
>amounts of pain?

Talk about an immense amount of pain.... I still am not 100% certain
about the $OEM$ folder stuff that I posted about earlier. :)

--
Dennis D. Calhoun <http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dcalhoun/&gt;
Member, news.newusers.questions Moderation Board

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 14:48:11 -0400, "Michael Leone"
<mleone@contributionship.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to make an image on a single CPU, IDE-based machine (as a
>testing platform), and be able to sysprep it to wotk on a single or
>multi-CPU machine, SCSI-based, with a RAID controller?
[snip]

A bit more info on this topic....

From "Microsoft Windows 2000 Sysprep Update" document....

For example, to support a new Qlogic driver (for enabling Sysprep to
include the necessities for configuring a Qlogic SCSI controller that
is not included on the Windows 200 disk), if the files were copied to
the Sysprep folder, you could add the following:

[SysprepMassStorage]
PCI\VEN_1077&DEV_1080 = "C:Sysprep\qlogic.inf", "\nt", "Qlogic
Software Disk", "\qlogic"

NOTE All of the values for this command must be placed on one text
line.

Another good source of HAL info is MS article # 237556
How to Troubleshoot Windows 2000 hardware Abstraction Layer Issues

Best wishes and good luck,
Dennis C.
a b à CPUs
a b \ Driver
January 13, 2005 12:31:01 PM

I am confused by the article that was suggested to read, Article #216915
"Using the System Preparation Tool on Dissimilar Computers".

It says the Windows 2000 system kernel (Ntoskrnl.exe) must be the same.
Wouldn't it always be the same since the OS drive is being cloned?

Has anybody had any success using sysprep to clone an IDE-based machine to
one with a RAID?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b \ Driver
January 25, 2005 7:00:20 PM

In your case what you need is simply to have the correct mass storage
controller loaded before you move the image to the different hardware. The
catch in doing this is that the HAL type needs to be the same on both
machines. If they are different, you will need to build a different image
for each HAL type.

The article has a section that describes the mass storage portion
specifically. If you follow that, then it should work fine.

--
Chris

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit.

!