X1950XT"X" AGP confirmed-EDIT-7900GS and 7950GT

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I don't know if it's news, as we heard rumors, but here you have the confirmation.

Still wanna keep your AGP system (assuming you got at least a high end Pentium D or a X2)?

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1061/4

It will have DDR3 though, not DDR4

EDIT: X1950XT"X" (X is for cooler type)
* Powered by ATI RADEON® RV580+ (90nm) GPU
* A 90-nanometer process GPU, the debut of the unique processing architecture
* 256MB of 256-bit (512-bit Internal Ring Bus) GDDR3 memory
* 48 parallel pixel pipelines
* Dual DVI (Double Dual Link) + HDTV + HDCP + D-sub support.
* Exclusive X-Turbo Fan (TEC inside)
* *TEC (Thermal electric Cooler) inside : TEC cools the X1950XT ASIC by electric controlling to its best operating condition besides the big fan coolers.
* *With X-Turbo fan cooler: Easily to have 648MHz default core clock for 1950XT AGP board and Overdrive to 675MHz ASIC core maximum overclock margin.
* *Satisfied thermal control device : 1950XTX level in core clock (648MHz X1950XTX original core clock) at only about 70°C or more while operating 3D in room temperature environment for reliability.
* *OverDrive by ATI control panel
* *Fan Control ( 2D 20Db-, 3D 28dB-) for silent cooling.
* *Temperature monitoring : Utility to monitor ASIC temperature.
* ATI’s Avivo™ technology connects to home entertainment devices and creates true-to-life image reproduction, and the smoothest video playback ever offered by ATI. Get high image fidelity with CRT and LCD displays, TVs, rear projection and plasma TVs, and projectors.
* New ultra-threaded core 3D architecture with ATI’s revolutionary Avivo video and display technology to drive performance to new heights with incredible speed and intense 3D graphics.
* Shader Model 3.0 features new High Dynamic Range visual effects, and enhances realism with adaptive anti-aliasing and lightening fast performance.
* CATALYST™: Full Windows Vista LDDM support including Aero Glass visuals

According to GeCube, it will have the same performance of the pci-e version.

---------------------------------------------------------
NVIDIA AGP

Now it's NVIDIA's turn and they hit the undying AGP crowd with the successor of the 7800GS and another, even faster card.
The Germans from 3DCenter.de found out that with the latest NVIDIA Forceware 101.41 Beta driver you not only get problems when trying to run Doom 3 and Battlefield 2142 under Vista but NVIDIA is disclosing the upcoming 7900GS and 7950GT GeForce cards with it.
But the best part of the story is that at least a 7950GT card from XFX is already listed at a pricewatcher for a mere 226 Euros. Of course it's not in stock yet but surely not far from really being around.

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/07-03-12/7950_2.jpg

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=5319251#post5319251

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Why don't they just hurry it up with R600 instead of messing around with that rather pointless-by-now card?

Because this is a GeCube's work; the modification has been made by them and not by ATI.

Gecube can only work with the parts they already have in their warehouses.

As for being pointless...that can be discussed.

djmerlin

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Not pointless at all, release new hardware until the fastest AGP CPU causes unacceptable bottlenecks then leave it at that. At the moment there is no reason why a P4 3ghz/3.2ghz wont benefit hugely from this sort of card. I think there is still headroom yet in the AGP format to make new cards still.

Oh Yes agp FTW.

M

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Not pointless at all, release new hardware until the fastest AGP CPU causes unacceptable bottlenecks then leave it at that. At the moment there is no reason why a P4 3ghz/3.2ghz wont benefit hugely from this sort of card. I think there is still headroom yet in the AGP format to make new cards still.

Oh Yes agp FTW.

M

I just said a X2 or a Pentium D not referring to bottlenecks, but to be more future proof and handle other heavy tasks without having to overall the entire system. That way an AGP system can hang for a few more years (except of course DX10)
But any system with any cpu would benefit from this card

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

Oh Yes agp FTW.

M

Well said!

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Arg, another reason why I shouldn't of gotten the 7800gs.... I think i'm just gonna get a new system this fall (or whenever amd releases K-whatever to see what cpu I shall get..) But i'm so tempted... :twisted:

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Prices will determinate the future of the x1950XT AGP. And this will be tricky for manufacturers because they can't price it much higher than the pcie version. This AGP (assuming it performs like the pcie) is gaming now in GTS' 320 territory, and at $260/$280 the GTS is a monster buy (assuming you only have to change mobo)
I believe this won't sell like the x1950pro

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
Prices will determinate the future of the x1950XT AGP. And this will be tricky for manufacturers because they can't price it much higher than the pcie version. This AGP (assuming it performs like the pcie) is gaming now in GTS' 320 territory, and at $260/$280 the GTS is a monster buy (assuming you only have to change mobo)

That's a generous assumption. If you're still on AGP you probably have to change CPU and memory as well, in order to move to PCIe.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

That's a generous assumption. If you're still on AGP you probably have to change CPU and memory as well, in order to move to PCIe.

There are a lot of pentiums 4 serie 5xx and 6xx out there that use ddr2 :wink:

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006

There are a lot of pentiums 4 serie 5xx and 6xx out there that use ddr2 :wink:

That's why I said probably, but yes you're right