Can you have a backup DC with backup DNS, WINS & DHCP?

We have a simple network of Win2K3 servers and we brought online today our
first backup domain controller. Ideally this BDC will also function as a
backup for the DHCP, DNS, & WINS running on the primary server. Is this
possible and if so how does one go about this?

Thank you
2 answers Last reply
More about backup backup wins dhcp

    A good system state backup should do all you need look at
    239892 How to Schedule Unattended Backups Using a Stand-Alone Tape Library
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=239892

    *
    William Effinger
    Microsoft Server Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
    See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    **

    DNS is designed to work like this. My recommendation is to use two (or
    more) domain controllers and switch to AD-integrated DNS. Point each server
    to itself only and workstations to both servers. Use a forwarder for name
    resolution of external hosts.

    WINS has always had push/pull partners. Take a look at the documentation.

    DHCP is more difficult. There's no way to have automatic failover (without
    clustering, which is extemely expensive). You can allocate non-overlapping
    scopes, but once you start wanting to use reservations, you're stuck because
    there's no way to synchronise the reservations between the DHCP servers.
    Futhermore, there's no way to allocate a reservation outside of the address
    pool.

    I'd like to see a solution for DHCP-failover in the next server release
    (please, Microsoft!)

    Oli

    "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have a simple network of Win2K3 servers and we brought online today our
    > first backup domain controller. Ideally this BDC will also function as a
    > backup for the DHCP, DNS, & WINS running on the primary server. Is this
    > possible and if so how does one go about this?
    >
    > Thank you

DHCP Backup DNS Servers Windows