Can you have a backup DC with backup DNS, WINS & DHCP?

Tim

We have a simple network of Win2K3 servers and we brought online today our
first backup domain controller. Ideally this BDC will also function as a
backup for the DHCP, DNS, & WINS running on the primary server. Is this
possible and if so how does one go about this?

Thank you

A good system state backup should do all you need look at
239892 How to Schedule Unattended Backups Using a Stand-Alone Tape Library
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=239892

*
William Effinger
Microsoft Server Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
Microsoft.
**

DNS is designed to work like this. My recommendation is to use two (or
more) domain controllers and switch to AD-integrated DNS. Point each server
to itself only and workstations to both servers. Use a forwarder for name
resolution of external hosts.

WINS has always had push/pull partners. Take a look at the documentation.

DHCP is more difficult. There's no way to have automatic failover (without
clustering, which is extemely expensive). You can allocate non-overlapping
scopes, but once you start wanting to use reservations, you're stuck because
there's no way to synchronise the reservations between the DHCP servers.
Futhermore, there's no way to allocate a reservation outside of the address
pool.

I'd like to see a solution for DHCP-failover in the next server release
(please, Microsoft!)

Oli