My Ruby Team: Linoone problem!

Well, this is my Linoone's moveset:

Toxic
Thief
Rest
Blizzard

The problem is there are too few attacking moves, that's not good! I
would like to know what moves I should give my Linoone insteed of Rest!
Maybe Thunderbolt? Well, any suggetions? The moves it learns by
Level-up, most of them are Normal-moves, it would be great if you can
help!

AVK suggeted me for a Shadow Ball, well great idea, I have refused that
since there are many Normal types, but Shadow Ball is good!

The Blaziken Master wrote:
> Well, this is my Linoone's moveset:
>
> Toxic
> Thief
> Rest
> Blizzard
>
> The problem is there are too few attacking moves, that's not good!

I don't think many Pokemon need more than two attacks. Although, having
both Toxic and Blizzard isn't such a hot idea since no Pokemon can be
both Frozen and Poisoned at the same time. You should probably ditch
one or the other.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

"We never feel we are ready for whatever's calling us; The point is to
do it anyway."

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531

> Well, this is my Linoone
<SNIP>

Found the problem.

"Chet Weaver - Wishing You a Very Happy Non-Demoninational Winter Season"
<zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in message
> The Blaziken Master wrote:
>> Well, this is my Linoone's moveset:
>>
>> Toxic
>> Thief
>> Rest
>> Blizzard
>>
>> The problem is there are too few attacking moves, that's not good!
>
> I don't think many Pokemon need more than two attacks. Although, having
> both Toxic and Blizzard isn't such a hot idea since no Pokemon can be both
> Frozen and Poisoned at the same time. You should probably ditch one or
> the other.

Why bother with Thief when it learns Covet normally? And get STAB for it.
All of mine tend to be HM slaves, with Covet, and Pickup to get Items. Some
have Surf for a Special attack, but it's stats aren't really there for
backing it up. Mind you, I do have about 5 of them on the go between
Sapphire and Ruby (about level 30 and higher), some evolved some not, all
with different movesets. But I wouldn't use them in a person to person
battle, or the E4 for that matter. But because their levels tend to be
higher than whoever I am raising, they do make for a good backup.

I don't hate them the way some people seem to, but they really are for
battling. They are very good at being HM slaves. I think they are better
(HM slaves) than most choices ever given in any of the other games, but it's
been a long time since I turned on RBY or even GSC. But in a team for
Battling? NO!

daramark

Well, the main reason of I teached my Linoone Thief isteed of Covet is
simple! No type are weak of Normal, too many types are reistance of
normal! There are types that are weak of Dark! That's why!

The Blaziken Master wrote:
> But it's at least better than Covet!

A'ight, lets actually compare these moves. As usual, I will use the
Pokemon Forever site as a reference:

Covet
-Type: Normal (Attack)
-Power: 40
-Accuracy: 100
-PP: 40
-Effect %: 100
-Linoone's combat bonus: 40*1.5 = 60 power when Same Type Attack Bonus
is applied

Thief
-Type: Dark (Special)
-Power: 40
-Accuracy: 100
-PP: 10
-Effect %: 100
-Linoone's combat bonus: 40*2 = 80 when used against Psychics or Ghosts

However, Linoone's Attack score is 70 while its Special Attack score is
50. I'll admit that I have no idea how the battle system works, so I'll
totally ignore logic and assume that a Pokemon's offensive attributes
are added after elemental resistances and STAB are applied. In that
scenario, Covet would have a total power of (40*1.5)+70 = 130 while
Thief would also have a total power of (40*2)+50 = 130. Ergo, against a
Psychic type, both moves would do the same amount of damage.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass
is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs
to be."