Text search

Cody

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hello friends:

I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within documents (MS
Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone please tell how to accomplish
this task. I appreciate your time.

Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

MSN Toolbar Suite
http://beta.toolbar.msn.com/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Cody"wrote:

| Hello friends:
|
| I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within documents (MS
| Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone please tell how to accomplish
| this task. I appreciate your time.
|
| Thanks.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Cody" <none> wrote in message news:umJhRmUMFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hello friends:
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within documents (MS
> Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone please tell how to accomplish
> this task. I appreciate your time.
>
> Thanks.

Agent Ransack (a S. Sengupta suggested) will work just fine. I wouldn't
advise placing anything "beta" (as Carey linked) on a PC period, since it
benefits the maker, and not the end user if something goes awry.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You might want to try the following:

Open Search.
Enter *.doc in the "All or part of the file name:" line. That
will limit your search to word documents.
Note: You can enter other extensions that word creates (such as
*.rtf, *.htm, *.html) as well. Just make sure you separate each
file extension with a comma.
Enter the text you're searching for in the "A word or phrase in
the file:" line.

--
Nepatsfan
"Cody" <none> wrote in message
> Hello friends:
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within
> documents (MS Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone
> please tell how to accomplish this task. I appreciate your
> time.
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Install the free Agent Ransack, it searches for text
strings in *all* types of files,check it here:-

http://www.agentransack.com/in­dex.asp

other references:-
Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion
May Not Work
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;3091­73

Add Files to Containing text Searches
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scr­ipts_desc/xp_fix_search.htm

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Cody wrote:
> Hello friends:
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within documents (MS
> Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone please tell how to accomplish
> this task. I appreciate your time.
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

FYI, those last two links are 404'd.

--
Nepatsfan
"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> Install the free Agent Ransack, it searches for text
> strings in *all* types of files,check it here:-
>
> http://www.agentransack.com/in­dex.asp
>
> other references:-
> Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion
> May Not Work
> http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;3091­73
>
> Add Files to Containing text Searches
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scr­ipts_desc/xp_fix_search.htm
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>

> Cody wrote:
>> Hello friends:
>>
>> I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within
>> documents (MS Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone
>> please tell how to accomplish this task. I appreciate your
>> time.
>>
>> Thanks.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

This works:

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx