Text search

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hello friends:

I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within documents (MS
Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone please tell how to accomplish
this task. I appreciate your time.

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about text search
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    MSN Toolbar Suite
    http://beta.toolbar.msn.com/

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Cody"wrote:

    | Hello friends:
    |
    | I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within documents (MS
    | Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone please tell how to accomplish
    | this task. I appreciate your time.
    |
    | Thanks.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Cody" <none> wrote in message news:umJhRmUMFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Hello friends:
    >
    > I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within documents (MS
    > Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone please tell how to accomplish
    > this task. I appreciate your time.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Agent Ransack (a S. Sengupta suggested) will work just fine. I wouldn't
    advise placing anything "beta" (as Carey linked) on a PC period, since it
    benefits the maker, and not the end user if something goes awry.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You might want to try the following:

    Open Search.
    Enter *.doc in the "All or part of the file name:" line. That
    will limit your search to word documents.
    Note: You can enter other extensions that word creates (such as
    *.rtf, *.htm, *.html) as well. Just make sure you separate each
    file extension with a comma.
    Enter the text you're searching for in the "A word or phrase in
    the file:" line.

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "Cody" <none> wrote in message
    > Hello friends:
    >
    > I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within
    > documents (MS Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone
    > please tell how to accomplish this task. I appreciate your
    > time.
    >
    > Thanks.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Install the free Agent Ransack, it searches for text
    strings in *all* types of files,check it here:-

    http://www.agentransack.com/in­dex.asp

    other references:-
    Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion
    May Not Work
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;3091­73

    Add Files to Containing text Searches
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scr­ipts_desc/xp_fix_search.htm

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Cody wrote:
    > Hello friends:
    >
    > I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within documents (MS
    > Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone please tell how to accomplish
    > this task. I appreciate your time.
    >
    > Thanks.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    FYI, those last two links are 404'd.

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Install the free Agent Ransack, it searches for text
    > strings in *all* types of files,check it here:-
    >
    > http://www.agentransack.com/in­dex.asp
    >
    > other references:-
    > Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion
    > May Not Work
    > http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;3091­73
    >
    > Add Files to Containing text Searches
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scr­ipts_desc/xp_fix_search.htm
    >
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    >

    > Cody wrote:
    >> Hello friends:
    >>
    >> I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within
    >> documents (MS Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone
    >> please tell how to accomplish this task. I appreciate your
    >> time.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    This works:

    http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

    "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
    > FYI, those last two links are 404'd.
    >
    > --
    > Nepatsfan
    > "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Install the free Agent Ransack, it searches for text
    >> strings in *all* types of files,check it here:-
    >>
    >> http://www.agentransack.com/in­dex.asp
    >>
    >> other references:-
    >> Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion
    >> May Not Work
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;3091­73
    >>
    >> Add Files to Containing text Searches
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scr­ipts_desc/xp_fix_search.htm
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> ssg MS-MVP
    >>

    >> Cody wrote:
    >>> Hello friends:
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering if it is possible to do a text search within documents
    >>> (MS Word docs) in Windows XP.If it is can anyone please tell how to
    >>> accomplish this task. I appreciate your time.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Noted.

    Nepatsfan wrote:

    > FYI, those last two links are 404'd.

Microsoft Customization Windows XP