Case recommendations?

Digi

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
Hi all,

I'm looking at building 2 computers (similar specs) for myself and a friend. What I'm a little worried over is getting the right PSU for the job and making sure the case will fit everything in it (hence this forum) - specifically the size of the nVidia 8800's.

Here's the general spec - some things are in flux and the build won't happen just yet (probably towards the end of May). Any comments would be helpful but really need advice on the case/psu.

E6600
EVGA 680i
2GB (2x1GB) 800Mhz OCZ CL4
2x 8800 GTS 320MB
2x Samsung spinpoint 250GB in Raid 0
LG DVDRW
LG DVD

About 8 USB (max) devices need to be plugged in and 1 firewire occasionally for a video camera (Canon XH-A1).

Cases:

I quite like the look of the Antec P180 and my friend likes the Antec 900. Are these up to the job with internal size regarding the graphics cards, etc? Is there anything better on the market?

I'm not personally big on neons and case windows, hence the P180 choice. I don't think this worries my friend.

PSU:
My choice is a Hiper 670W SLI PSU Type M - Is this up to the job?
My friend has chosen the X-Power 700W (which ships with the case from X-Case)

Not planning on overclocking and just looking at the stock cooling.

Like I said guys any help would be fantastic.

Digi

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
I one the P180, and I love it...it was designed to be the benchmark in quiet desktop computing, and it delivers on this goal. It won't have any problems fitting the 2 8800GTSs, the GTXs would be a different story (that's what I run) because you have to remove one of the HD trays. As far as PS goes, if you want the P180 for silence??? get a Seasonic S12 like this one, they are very high quality, very efficient, and VERY QUIET!

Digi

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
Thanks Miahallen, that's really useful.

Yeah - I was after a quieter PC. I'll look into the Seasonic - I take it the cables are long enough for the P180?

Jodym2

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I got a 900 I really Like it. My GTS Runs Great I can't really understand why you want Two Graphis Cards one Does the Job Perfectly for me. Maby later I'll get another but by then I'd expect the second GTS to be cheaper. I would Also recommend Seasonc as I Run a S12 but I would recommend the M Series as thay are modular I just got a M500 I really Like but It looks like cost is no object so I recommend the M600 or M700.

If your looking for the best get the one made by P.C. Power & Cooling.

Digi

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
My GTS Runs Great I can't really understand why you want Two Graphis Cards one Does the Job Perfectly for me.

okay that brings up a good question - would one GTX or two 320 GTS cards provide better performance?

exponent

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Hi,

I have a antec P180.

The problem I had with that case is the power supply is situated at the bottom. If you are running two cards in SLI you may have a slight problem with cable routing!!
I had a nightmare with it because I have two 7800GTX's in SLI but this doesnt leave much room for routing your power cables!!
You will end up with power cables touching your cards or very close to touching your cards anyway.
There is is large fan in the case dierctly behind where the PSU sits so the cables come up and out (right into the path of my pair of 7800GTX's)!!
Its quite messy and not the best to be honest!!
That was my personal experience.
In hindsight I would have gone for a case where the PSU is situated at the top which leaves a LOT more room for cable management!!
If you have cables all over the place then you wont get a decent through-flow of air through your case!!

Digi

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
Hi exponent,

Is this because the cables are stretching across the cards. If you had extensions...

Extensions are cheap: Silverstone 6" Power Cable Kit

...as in Miahallen's post above would you see this still being a problem?

exponent

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Basically, there is a oval hole right below where your second GFX card sits (if its in SLI).
The PSU is below the hole and all of the cables come through that hole to power the various parts.
There is a 120mm fan that sits directly behind the PSU (it is built into the case to cool the PSU) so there is no other way that the cables can go other than up and out which unfortunately, is where the second GFX card is!!
It really isnt the best case for SLI in my personal opinion.
If you are using 1 card then fine, no probs, but two just ends up with overcrowding!!

Check this out! a perfect picture of it!! can you see where the PSU sits, then look bahind it! the cables have to route up and out into the PCI slots!!

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6012&page=3

even better example!!
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6012&page=4

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Basically, there is a oval hole right below where your second GFX card sits (if its in SLI).
The PSU is below the hole and all of the cables come through that hole to power the various parts.
There is a 120mm fan that sits directly behind the PSU (it is built into the case to cool the PSU) so there is no other way that the cables can go other than up and out which unfortunately, is where the second GFX card is!!
It really isnt the best case for SLI in my personal opinion.
If you are using 1 card then fine, no probs, but two just ends up with overcrowding!!

Check this out! a perfect picture of it!! can you see where the PSU sits, then look bahind it! the cables have to route up and out into the PCI slots!!

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6012&page=3

even better example!!
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6012&page=4
Regarding the pictures you linked to. This is the 1st version of the case, the current case has a few important differences.

Fist off, the fan next to the power supply has shrunk. The one in the pictures is a 38mm deep fan, the new cases are shipping with a 25mm deep fan, granted, it's only 7mm difference...but it helps.

Second, and more important, the PSU they show is extra large, a standard size PSU is not that long, and would probably provide at least another inch.

Last, and this has nothing to do with case revision. If you are looking to silence the case as much as possible. the 120mm fan at the bottom is not necessary...REMOVE IT! The intake fan on the PSU is enough to get air to flow through that entire chamber, cooling your hard drives as well. If you do this, you MUST block off the air vents around the PSU on the back of the case. This will force the PSU to draw it's intake air from the front air inlet, thereby cooling the hard drives. This method is advised for those running one or two drives. If you are running three or four in the lower chamber, it may restrick airflow too much to properly cool them (monitor your temps to be sure). This is a known fix, and well published on SPCR.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
Hi exponent,

Is this because the cables are stretching across the cards. If you had extensions...

Extensions are cheap: Silverstone 6" Power Cable Kit

...as in Miahallen's post above would you see this still being a problem?
I had to run the 24pin ATX and 4pin CPU cables over the top of my 8800GTX until I got the extensions...now they are long enough to run all the way around the motherboard without interfereing with anything (including airflow). It works just fine.

I do believe exponent may have a point running two 8800GTXs, but I haven't gone there yet :wink:

exponent

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I totally agree with you miahallen

even 7mm does help especially with that particular case.
It was my own personal experience running 2 7800GTX's together was not a great idea in that case!

But two 8800GTX's IMPOSSIBLE in that case. the 8800GTX is actually longer than the mobo its'self and to have two of em in that case would be a nightmare!!

I think the coolermaster stacker 830 that yakyb has suggested is the ideal choice. ok its a bit on the large side but that is my choice of case for my upcoming build!!

Each to their own though i guess!!

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
I would agree IF your second PCIe slot was positioned in the second to last postition (as in the 680i mobos). However, if it is in the third or fourth to last position (as in the 650i, or most AMD based boards), then there would be room (although it would be very tight).

BTW - I too like the Stacker design, but I'd want to hear one in person before buying it :wink:

Digi

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2005
So with two cards I'll have trouble getting the cables through, even with extensions....

I've found the Coolermaster on ebuyer.... It looks very nice actually. Quite expensive, but nothing a few more overtime hours can't fix!

exponent

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
digi

You wont have trouble getting the cables through but it will be a tight squeeze and will restrict airflow around your cards (if you are having two cards) one card will be fine but (in my opinion) its too resrictive with two!!

I would go fror the coolermaster stacker 830 every time!! I have read a few reviews and noise doesnt seem to be an issue with that case!

although Chuckshissle does have a good point though.
Have a look at his recommendation
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/armor/va8003bws.asp
Not a bad suggestion to be honest!! In fact I would consider the armor over the coolermaster now having read the specs!! (ive confused myself now)!!

miahallen is also right. it depends on your mobo and the positioning of your pci-e slots!! but like miahalen says, it would still be a tight squezze regardless of pci-e position.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
What is your budget for a case? I have the SilverStone TJ09 and I love it although it is on the pricey side it's a wonderful case to work with and great airflow. I have an 8800GTX and it has plenty of room for it and another if you desire SLI right now. Just my 2c though. Goodluck with whatever case you go with.

exponent

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Stewartwi has a good case there is a video review here -

http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/5853/103/

The only problem i can see with this case is that the PSU is again situated at the bottom and there is a 120mm fan derectly behind where your 8800GTS would be sitting.
As long as the 8800 GTS isnt too long that shouldnt be a problem. (i think the 8800GTX's are 13inches long and that would be a problem in the silverstone case.

(anybody correct me if im wrong)!!!

Failing that, its an awesome case!!

BushLin

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The P180 is a good choice of case for what you're doing.. it's big enough, stylish, quiet and well designed internally. The 900 would be good if you're going to overclock or want low temps, if not it'll just be more noise.
I'd suggest a better quality PSU though, Enermax would always be my first choice.

exponent

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Yeah bushlin, the P-180 is a great case, i just had an issue with the routing of the power cables.
Ive got an SLI set-up and the cables restrict the airflow thats all.
I do notice a temp difference between the first and second card (the second card being the one at the bottom next to all the power cables)!
a 10 degree difference!!!!

Im getting a 8800GTX soon anyway so wont have that problem for much longer!! :D :D :D