Moto v551 or v400?

Signing up for new service with Cingular soon, and was wondering if I could
get some feedback as to which of these phones is better?

Most important features:

1. Signal strength and battery life
2. Import Outlook contacts
3. Lots of address/book entries
4. Durability
5. Screen size / visual
6. Headset hookups / hands free operation

Not important:

Camera or video
Text or MM messaging
Email from phone
Web browsing on phon

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice you might have.

Chris

fester

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2004

My Kid just got the 551 and I have the 400 the 551 is much better, When it
comes time in 6 months thats the one I am going to get or the V3
"nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Signing up for new service with Cingular soon, and was wondering if I
could
> get some feedback as to which of these phones is better?
>
> Most important features:
>
> 1. Signal strength and battery life
> 2. Import Outlook contacts
> 3. Lots of address/book entries
> 4. Durability
> 5. Screen size / visual
> 6. Headset hookups / hands free operation
>
> Not important:
>
> Camera or video
> Text or MM messaging
> Email from phone
> Web browsing on phon
>
> Thank you in advance for any helpful advice you might have.
>
> Chris

The difference is probably ENS, since otherwise the phones are quite similar
in their common features. If your V400 is more than a few months old, it
probably doesn't support ENS, and you probably don't have the necessary 64K
SIM in any event.

In <-OOdnW-Nd-_fUlbcRVn-oA@comcast.com> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:11:42 -0800,
"Fester" <raven_wood@homeDOT.com> wrote:

>My Kid just got the 551 and I have the 400 the 551 is much better, When it
>comes time in 6 months thats the one I am going to get or the V3
>"nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Signing up for new service with Cingular soon, and was wondering if I
>could
>> get some feedback as to which of these phones is better?
>>
>> Most important features:
>>
>> 1. Signal strength and battery life
>> 2. Import Outlook contacts
>> 3. Lots of address/book entries
>> 4. Durability
>> 5. Screen size / visual
>> 6. Headset hookups / hands free operation
>>
>> Not important:
>>
>> Camera or video
>> Text or MM messaging
>> Email from phone
>> Web browsing on phon
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any helpful advice you might have.
>>
>> Chris

What is ENS ? Why is the 64k SIM better?

Thank you for your response.

In <xRXyd.8594$rL3.1227@trnddc03> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:54:53 GMT, "Chris W"
<chaparral2350sx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>What is ENS ? Why is the 64k SIM better?

"Google is your friend!"
<http://www.google.com/search?q=ens+64k>
See the 3rd or 4th link down:
[64K SIMS and ENS Phones Q&A (Resulting from Cingular and ATTWS ...

>Thank you for your response.

>> The difference is probably ENS, since otherwise the phones are quite
>> similar
>> in their common features. If your V400 is more than a few months old, it
>> probably doesn't support ENS, and you probably don't have the necessary
>> 64K
>> SIM in any event.

Thank you John. In doing a little more research, I see your name coming up
quite a bit on the net...so since you seem to be a cell phone guru - which
of these phones would YOU get?

(and are the bluetooth headsets cool - and do they work well)

Thanks again,

Chris

In <nSYyd.7730$L7.377@trnddc05> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:04:03 GMT, "Chris W"
<chaparral2350sx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thank you John. In doing a little more research, I see your name coming up
>quite a bit on the net...so since you seem to be a cell phone guru - which
>of these phones would YOU get?

V551 (with 64K SIM), the best phone now being sold by Cingular IMHO.

> In <nSYyd.7730$L7.377@trnddc05> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:04:03 GMT, "Chris
> W"
> <chaparral2350sx@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thank you John. In doing a little more research, I see your name coming
>>up
>>quite a bit on the net...so since you seem to be a cell phone guru - which
>>of these phones would YOU get?
>
> V551 (with 64K SIM), the best phone now being sold by Cingular IMHO.

I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available data
features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I just
figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.

I sure wish Cingular had one place to go look for all of the info you need
to use their service.

Charles

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Charles Perry wrote:

> "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>
>>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>>
>>In <nSYyd.7730$L7.377@trnddc05> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:04:03 GMT, "Chris
>>W"
>><chaparral2350sx@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Thank you John. In doing a little more research, I see your name coming
>>>up
>>>quite a bit on the net...so since you seem to be a cell phone guru - which
>>>of these phones would YOU get?
>>
>>V551 (with 64K SIM), the best phone now being sold by Cingular IMHO.
>

> I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
> complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available data
> features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
> includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I just
> figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
> address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
> multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.
>
> I sure wish Cingular had one place to go look for all of the info you need
> to use their service.
>
> Charles

That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
clue, it would've already been done.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

In article <3357uhF3t8l1oU1@individual.net>,
"Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
> >
> > In <nSYyd.7730$L7.377@trnddc05> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:04:03 GMT, "Chris
> > W"
> > <chaparral2350sx@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Thank you John. In doing a little more research, I see your name coming
> >>up
> >>quite a bit on the net...so since you seem to be a cell phone guru - which
> >>of these phones would YOU get?
> >
> > V551 (with 64K SIM), the best phone now being sold by Cingular IMHO.
>
> I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
> complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available data
> features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
> includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I just
> figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
> address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
> multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.
>
> I sure wish Cingular had one place to go look for all of the info you need
> to use their service.
>
> Charles

They do! its http://www.cingular.com

Try

http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net

as a starting point

In article <cqjrrk$omi@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
wrote:

> Charles Perry wrote:
>
> > "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
> >>
> >>In <nSYyd.7730$L7.377@trnddc05> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:04:03 GMT, "Chris
> >>W"

> >>V551 (with 64K SIM), the best phone now being sold by Cingular IMHO.
> >

> > I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
> > complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available
> > data
> > features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
> > includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I
> > just
> > figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
> > address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
> > multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.
> >
> > I sure wish Cingular had one place to go look for all of the info you need
> > to use their service.
> >
> > Charles
>

> That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
> much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
> Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
> clue, it would've already been done.

Its been done.

Jack Zwick wrote:

> In article <cqjrrk$omi@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
> wrote:
>

>>Charles Perry wrote:
>>

>>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>>>I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
>>>complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available
>>>data
>>>features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
>>>includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I
>>>just
>>>figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
>>>address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
>>>multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.
>>>
>>>I sure wish Cingular had one place to go look for all of the info you need
>>>to use their service.
>>>
>>>Charles
>>

>>That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
>>much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
>>Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
>>clue, it would've already been done.
>

> Its been done.
>
> http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net

I tried going there previously, and again now - all I get is 404.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

> In article <cqjrrk$omi@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
> wrote:
>
>> Charles Perry wrote:
>>
>> > "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>> > I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
>> > complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available
>> > data
>> > features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
>> > includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I
>> > just
>> > figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
>> > address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me,
>> > that
>> > multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.
>> >
>> > I sure wish Cingular had one place to go look for all of the info you
>> > need
>> > to use their service.
>> >
>> > Charles
>>

>> That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
>> much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
>> Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
>> clue, it would've already been done.
>
> Its been done.
>
> http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net
I have been there. It is very sparse on details. Thanks anyway.

Charles

ann

Worked for me.

You might be getting something in your system chache instead of a fresh
link..

___________________
Ann
Motorola V551
iPAQ 4355

In article <335j7oF3rmo16U1@individual.net>,
"Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > In article <cqjrrk$omi@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
> > wrote:

> >> That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
> >> much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
> >> Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
> >> clue, it would've already been done.
> >
> > Its been done.
> >
> > http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net
> I have been there. It is very sparse on details. Thanks anyway.
>
> Charles

Try John Navas website then.

In article <cqk39g$6o9@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
wrote:

> Jack Zwick wrote:
>
> > In article <cqjrrk$omi@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
> > wrote:

> >>That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
> >>much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
> >>Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
> >>clue, it would've already been done.
> >

> > Its been done.
> >
> > http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net
>

> I tried going there previously, and again now - all I get is 404.

Try using the FoxFire browser.

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

Jack Zwick wrote:
> In article <cqk39g$6o9@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
> wrote:
>

>>Jack Zwick wrote:

>>>Its been done.
>>>
>>>http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net
>>

>>I tried going there previously, and again now - all I get is 404.
>

> Try using the FoxFire browser.

I've tried Firefox, Nutscrape, and even the dreaded IE, same results -
so something's amiss deeper under the hood. I'm suspecting some option
in the firewall... now... where's that nephew....?

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

In <3357uhF3t8l1oU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:23:32 -0500,
"Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
>complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available data
>features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
>includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I just
>figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
>address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
>multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.

Depending on the phone, MMS (multimedia message) can either be sent to another
phone or to an email address through the MMS gateway. Either way the MMS
message is charged as a "picture message" (not as data). If the phone has a
properly configured email client, multimedia (pictures, sounds, etc.) can
instead be sent attached to an email message, in which case it is charged as
data (not as a "picture message").

> In <3357uhF3t8l1oU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:23:32 -0500,
> "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
>>complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available
>>data
>>features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
>>includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I
>>just
>>figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
>>address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
>>multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.
>
> Depending on the phone, MMS (multimedia message) can either be sent to
> another
> phone or to an email address through the MMS gateway. Either way the MMS
> message is charged as a "picture message" (not as data). If the phone has
> properly configured email client, multimedia (pictures, sounds, etc.) can
> instead be sent attached to an email message, in which case it is charged
> as
> data (not as a "picture message").

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
Ok, figured that out. It defaulted to numeric entry when selecting MMS. I
changed the input method, typed an email address, and what do you know? It
actually sent the picture to my email address.

I still need to figure out how to use the "dial up" version of data
transmission so I can burn up weekend minutes and not use precious data
allotment.

Thanks for your help.

Charles

In article <cqk91h$bis@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
wrote:

> >>I tried going there previously, and again now - all I get is 404.
> >

> > Try using the FoxFire browser.
>

> I've tried Firefox, Nutscrape, and even the dreaded IE, same results -
> so something's amiss deeper under the hood. I'm suspecting some option
> in the firewall... now... where's that nephew....?

Go ahead and brag about how you don't know what you're doing.

In <3362m1F3sscacU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:59:48 -0500,
"Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I still need to figure out how to use the "dial up" version of data
>transmission so I can burn up weekend minutes and not use precious data
>allotment.

Covered in my webpages below.

> In <3362m1F3sscacU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:59:48 -0500,
> "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I still need to figure out how to use the "dial up" version of data
>>transmission so I can burn up weekend minutes and not use precious data
>>allotment.
>
> Covered in my webpages below.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

I saw the settings needed for the new connection. Will the V551
automatically ask me which connection to use or do I need to change a
setting for that also?

Thanks

Charles

In <336de5F3r5hkaU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:03:20 -0500,
"Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> In <3362m1F3sscacU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:59:48 -0500,
>> "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I still need to figure out how to use the "dial up" version of data
>>>transmission so I can burn up weekend minutes and not use precious data
>>>allotment.
>>
>> Covered in my webpages below.

>I saw the settings needed for the new connection. Will the V551
>automatically ask me which connection to use or do I need to change a
>setting for that also?

The selection of GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE) profile in the phone is handled by the
dialing string sent by the tethered device.

There are no settings in the phone for CSD with a tethered device* -- it's all
handled by the tethered device.

* Settings are needed for CSD from the phone (e.g., to use the email client in
the phone over CSD, a data profile must be created and selected).

> In <336de5F3r5hkaU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:03:20 -0500,
> "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>>> Covered in my webpages below.
>
>>I saw the settings needed for the new connection. Will the V551
>>automatically ask me which connection to use or do I need to change a
>>setting for that also?
>
> The selection of GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE) profile in the phone is handled by the
> dialing string sent by the tethered device.
>
> There are no settings in the phone for CSD with a tethered device* -- it's
> all
> handled by the tethered device.
>
> * Settings are needed for CSD from the phone (e.g., to use the email
> client in
> the phone over CSD, a data profile must be created and selected).

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

Thanks, I missunderstood. I thought I could access the web using the phone
and CSD. I am pretty sure this is how my Verizon phone accessed the web.
The tethered stuff will come in handy in a few months when I update to a
bluetooth enabled PDA.

Thanks again.

Charles

In <336fjaF3rt7tuU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:40:13 -0500,
"Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> The selection of GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE) profile in the phone is handled by the
>> dialing string sent by the tethered device.
>>
>> There are no settings in the phone for CSD with a tethered device* -- it's
>> all
>> handled by the tethered device.
>>
>> * Settings are needed for CSD from the phone (e.g., to use the email
>> client in
>> the phone over CSD, a data profile must be created and selected).

>Thanks, I missunderstood. I thought I could access the web using the phone
>and CSD.

You can.