Moto v551 or v400?

Signing up for new service with Cingular soon, and was wondering if I could
get some feedback as to which of these phones is better?

Most important features:

1. Signal strength and battery life
2. Import Outlook contacts
3. Lots of address/book entries
4. Durability
5. Screen size / visual
6. Headset hookups / hands free operation

Not important:

Camera or video
Text or MM messaging
Email from phone
Web browsing on phon

Thank you in advance for any helpful advice you might have.

Chris
28 answers Last reply
More about moto v551 v400

    My Kid just got the 551 and I have the 400 the 551 is much better, When it
    comes time in 6 months thats the one I am going to get or the V3
    "nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Signing up for new service with Cingular soon, and was wondering if I
    could
    > get some feedback as to which of these phones is better?
    >
    > Most important features:
    >
    > 1. Signal strength and battery life
    > 2. Import Outlook contacts
    > 3. Lots of address/book entries
    > 4. Durability
    > 5. Screen size / visual
    > 6. Headset hookups / hands free operation
    >
    > Not important:
    >
    > Camera or video
    > Text or MM messaging
    > Email from phone
    > Web browsing on phon
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any helpful advice you might have.
    >
    > Chris

    The difference is probably ENS, since otherwise the phones are quite similar
    in their common features. If your V400 is more than a few months old, it
    probably doesn't support ENS, and you probably don't have the necessary 64K
    SIM in any event.

    In <-OOdnW-Nd-_fUlbcRVn-oA@comcast.com> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:11:42 -0800,
    "Fester" <raven_wood@homeDOT.com> wrote:

    >My Kid just got the 551 and I have the 400 the 551 is much better, When it
    >comes time in 6 months thats the one I am going to get or the V3
    >"nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> Signing up for new service with Cingular soon, and was wondering if I
    >could
    >> get some feedback as to which of these phones is better?
    >>
    >> Most important features:
    >>
    >> 1. Signal strength and battery life
    >> 2. Import Outlook contacts
    >> 3. Lots of address/book entries
    >> 4. Durability
    >> 5. Screen size / visual
    >> 6. Headset hookups / hands free operation
    >>
    >> Not important:
    >>
    >> Camera or video
    >> Text or MM messaging
    >> Email from phone
    >> Web browsing on phon
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance for any helpful advice you might have.
    >>
    >> Chris

    What is ENS ? Why is the 64k SIM better?

    Thank you for your response.

    In <xRXyd.8594$rL3.1227@trnddc03> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:54:53 GMT, "Chris W"
    <chaparral2350sx@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >What is ENS ? Why is the 64k SIM better?

    "Google is your friend!"
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=ens+64k>
    See the 3rd or 4th link down:
    [64K SIMS and ENS Phones Q&A (Resulting from Cingular and ATTWS ...

    >Thank you for your response.

    >> The difference is probably ENS, since otherwise the phones are quite
    >> similar
    >> in their common features. If your V400 is more than a few months old, it
    >> probably doesn't support ENS, and you probably don't have the necessary
    >> 64K
    >> SIM in any event.

    Thank you John. In doing a little more research, I see your name coming up
    quite a bit on the net...so since you seem to be a cell phone guru - which
    of these phones would YOU get?

    (and are the bluetooth headsets cool - and do they work well)

    Thanks again,

    Chris

    In <nSYyd.7730$L7.377@trnddc05> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:04:03 GMT, "Chris W"
    <chaparral2350sx@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Thank you John. In doing a little more research, I see your name coming up
    >quite a bit on the net...so since you seem to be a cell phone guru - which
    >of these phones would YOU get?

    V551 (with 64K SIM), the best phone now being sold by Cingular IMHO.

    > In <nSYyd.7730$L7.377@trnddc05> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:04:03 GMT, "Chris
    > W"
    > <chaparral2350sx@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Thank you John. In doing a little more research, I see your name coming
    >>up
    >>quite a bit on the net...so since you seem to be a cell phone guru - which
    >>of these phones would YOU get?
    >
    > V551 (with 64K SIM), the best phone now being sold by Cingular IMHO.

    I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
    complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available data
    features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
    includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I just
    figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
    address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
    multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.

    I sure wish Cingular had one place to go look for all of the info you need
    to use their service.

    Charles

    Charles Perry wrote:

    > "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >>
    >>In <nSYyd.7730$L7.377@trnddc05> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:04:03 GMT, "Chris
    >>W"
    >><chaparral2350sx@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Thank you John. In doing a little more research, I see your name coming
    >>>up
    >>>quite a bit on the net...so since you seem to be a cell phone guru - which
    >>>of these phones would YOU get?
    >>
    >>V551 (with 64K SIM), the best phone now being sold by Cingular IMHO.
    >

    > I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
    > complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available data
    > features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
    > includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I just
    > figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
    > address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
    > multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.
    >
    > I sure wish Cingular had one place to go look for all of the info you need
    > to use their service.
    >
    > Charles

    That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
    much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
    Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
    clue, it would've already been done.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    In article <3357uhF3t8l1oU1@individual.net>,
    "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    > > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    > >
    > > In <nSYyd.7730$L7.377@trnddc05> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:04:03 GMT, "Chris
    > > W"
    > > <chaparral2350sx@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Thank you John. In doing a little more research, I see your name coming
    > >>up
    > >>quite a bit on the net...so since you seem to be a cell phone guru - which
    > >>of these phones would YOU get?
    > >
    > > V551 (with 64K SIM), the best phone now being sold by Cingular IMHO.
    >
    > I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
    > complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available data
    > features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
    > includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I just
    > figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
    > address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
    > multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.
    >
    > I sure wish Cingular had one place to go look for all of the info you need
    > to use their service.
    >
    > Charles

    They do! its http://www.cingular.com

    Try

    http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net

    as a starting point
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <cqjrrk$omi@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
    wrote:

    > Charles Perry wrote:
    >
    > > "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>[POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    > >>
    > >>In <nSYyd.7730$L7.377@trnddc05> on Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:04:03 GMT, "Chris
    > >>W"

    > >>V551 (with 64K SIM), the best phone now being sold by Cingular IMHO.
    > >

    > > I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
    > > complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available
    > > data
    > > features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
    > > includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I
    > > just
    > > figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
    > > address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
    > > multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.
    > >
    > > I sure wish Cingular had one place to go look for all of the info you need
    > > to use their service.
    > >
    > > Charles
    >

    > That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
    > much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
    > Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
    > clue, it would've already been done.

    Its been done.

    http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Jack Zwick wrote:

    > In article <cqjrrk$omi@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Charles Perry wrote:
    >>

    >>>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

    >>>I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
    >>>complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available
    >>>data
    >>>features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
    >>>includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I
    >>>just
    >>>figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
    >>>address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
    >>>multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.
    >>>
    >>>I sure wish Cingular had one place to go look for all of the info you need
    >>>to use their service.
    >>>
    >>>Charles
    >>

    >>That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
    >>much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
    >>Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
    >>clue, it would've already been done.
    >

    > Its been done.
    >
    > http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net

    I tried going there previously, and again now - all I get is 404.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    > In article <cqjrrk$omi@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Charles Perry wrote:
    >>
    >> > "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

    >> > I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
    >> > complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available
    >> > data
    >> > features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
    >> > includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I
    >> > just
    >> > figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
    >> > address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me,
    >> > that
    >> > multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.
    >> >
    >> > I sure wish Cingular had one place to go look for all of the info you
    >> > need
    >> > to use their service.
    >> >
    >> > Charles
    >>

    >> That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
    >> much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
    >> Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
    >> clue, it would've already been done.
    >
    > Its been done.
    >
    > http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net
    I have been there. It is very sparse on details. Thanks anyway.

    Charles
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Worked for me.

    You might be getting something in your system chache instead of a fresh
    link..

    ___________________
    Ann
    Motorola V551
    iPAQ 4355
    "Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
    > Jack Zwick wrote:
    >
    >> In article <cqjrrk$omi@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
    >> wrote:

    >>>That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
    >>>much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
    >>>Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
    >>>clue, it would've already been done.
    >>

    >> Its been done.
    >>
    >> http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net
    >

    > I tried going there previously, and again now - all I get is 404.
    >
    > --
    > jer
    > email reply - I am not a 'ten'
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <335j7oF3rmo16U1@individual.net>,
    "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <cqjrrk$omi@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
    > > wrote:

    > >> That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
    > >> much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
    > >> Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
    > >> clue, it would've already been done.
    > >
    > > Its been done.
    > >
    > > http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net
    > I have been there. It is very sparse on details. Thanks anyway.
    >
    > Charles

    Try John Navas website then.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <cqk39g$6o9@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
    wrote:

    > Jack Zwick wrote:
    >
    > > In article <cqjrrk$omi@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
    > > wrote:

    > >>That's a spiffy idea Charles, but it'll never work because it makes too
    > >>much sense. The reason it'll never work is because I don't think
    > >>Cingular has a clue about how to do this, because if they did have a
    > >>clue, it would've already been done.
    > >

    > > Its been done.
    > >
    > > http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net
    >

    > I tried going there previously, and again now - all I get is 404.

    Try using the FoxFire browser.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Jack Zwick wrote:
    > In article <cqk39g$6o9@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Jack Zwick wrote:

    >>>Its been done.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.cingular.com/media/media_net
    >>

    >>I tried going there previously, and again now - all I get is 404.
    >

    > Try using the FoxFire browser.

    I've tried Firefox, Nutscrape, and even the dreaded IE, same results -
    so something's amiss deeper under the hood. I'm suspecting some option
    in the firewall... now... where's that nephew....?

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    In <3357uhF3t8l1oU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:23:32 -0500,
    "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
    >complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available data
    >features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
    >includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I just
    >figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
    >address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
    >multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.

    Depending on the phone, MMS (multimedia message) can either be sent to another
    phone or to an email address through the MMS gateway. Either way the MMS
    message is charged as a "picture message" (not as data). If the phone has a
    properly configured email client, multimedia (pictures, sounds, etc.) can
    instead be sent attached to an email message, in which case it is charged as
    data (not as a "picture message").

  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > In <3357uhF3t8l1oU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:23:32 -0500,
    > "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I really like my V551 (which I have had all of a week now). My only
    >>complaint is that Cingular does a pathetic job explaining the available
    >>data
    >>features (actually, no explanation at all). I bought the package that
    >>includes 250 txt msgs, 50 multimedia, and I think 1MB of data. Well, I
    >>just
    >>figured out this morning that if I want to send a picture to an email
    >>address, I am using data, not multimedia. I appears, at least to me, that
    >>multimedia messages can only be sent to another phone.
    >
    > Depending on the phone, MMS (multimedia message) can either be sent to
    > another
    > phone or to an email address through the MMS gateway. Either way the MMS
    > message is charged as a "picture message" (not as data). If the phone has
    > properly configured email client, multimedia (pictures, sounds, etc.) can
    > instead be sent attached to an email message, in which case it is charged
    > as
    > data (not as a "picture message").

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
    Ok, figured that out. It defaulted to numeric entry when selecting MMS. I
    changed the input method, typed an email address, and what do you know? It
    actually sent the picture to my email address.

    I still need to figure out how to use the "dial up" version of data
    transmission so I can burn up weekend minutes and not use precious data
    allotment.

    Thanks for your help.

    Charles
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <cqk91h$bis@library2.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
    wrote:

    > >>I tried going there previously, and again now - all I get is 404.
    > >

    > > Try using the FoxFire browser.
    >

    > I've tried Firefox, Nutscrape, and even the dreaded IE, same results -
    > so something's amiss deeper under the hood. I'm suspecting some option
    > in the firewall... now... where's that nephew....?

    Go ahead and brag about how you don't know what you're doing.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <3362m1F3sscacU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:59:48 -0500,
    "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I still need to figure out how to use the "dial up" version of data
    >transmission so I can burn up weekend minutes and not use precious data
    >allotment.

    Covered in my webpages below.

  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > In <3362m1F3sscacU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:59:48 -0500,
    > "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I still need to figure out how to use the "dial up" version of data
    >>transmission so I can burn up weekend minutes and not use precious data
    >>allotment.
    >
    > Covered in my webpages below.

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

    I saw the settings needed for the new connection. Will the V551
    automatically ask me which connection to use or do I need to change a
    setting for that also?

    Thanks

    Charles
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <336de5F3r5hkaU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:03:20 -0500,
    "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> In <3362m1F3sscacU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:59:48 -0500,
    >> "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I still need to figure out how to use the "dial up" version of data
    >>>transmission so I can burn up weekend minutes and not use precious data
    >>>allotment.
    >>
    >> Covered in my webpages below.

    >I saw the settings needed for the new connection. Will the V551
    >automatically ask me which connection to use or do I need to change a
    >setting for that also?

    The selection of GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE) profile in the phone is handled by the
    dialing string sent by the tethered device.

    There are no settings in the phone for CSD with a tethered device* -- it's all
    handled by the tethered device.

    * Settings are needed for CSD from the phone (e.g., to use the email client in
    the phone over CSD, a data profile must be created and selected).

  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > In <336de5F3r5hkaU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:03:20 -0500,
    > "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message

    >>> Covered in my webpages below.
    >
    >>I saw the settings needed for the new connection. Will the V551
    >>automatically ask me which connection to use or do I need to change a
    >>setting for that also?
    >
    > The selection of GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE) profile in the phone is handled by the
    > dialing string sent by the tethered device.
    >
    > There are no settings in the phone for CSD with a tethered device* -- it's
    > all
    > handled by the tethered device.
    >
    > * Settings are needed for CSD from the phone (e.g., to use the email
    > client in
    > the phone over CSD, a data profile must be created and selected).

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

    Thanks, I missunderstood. I thought I could access the web using the phone
    and CSD. I am pretty sure this is how my Verizon phone accessed the web.
    The tethered stuff will come in handy in a few months when I update to a
    bluetooth enabled PDA.

    Thanks again.

    Charles
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <336fjaF3rt7tuU1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 19:40:13 -0500,
    "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> The selection of GPRS/EGPRS(EDGE) profile in the phone is handled by the
    >> dialing string sent by the tethered device.
    >>
    >> There are no settings in the phone for CSD with a tethered device* -- it's
    >> all
    >> handled by the tethered device.
    >>
    >> * Settings are needed for CSD from the phone (e.g., to use the email
    >> client in
    >> the phone over CSD, a data profile must be created and selected).

    >Thanks, I missunderstood. I thought I could access the web using the phone
    >and CSD.

    You can.

  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    <snip>
    >>Thanks, I missunderstood. I thought I could access the web using the
    >>phone
    >>and CSD.
    >
    > You can.

    When I fire up the browser in the V551, how do I make it use CSD?

    Charles
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In <336hnjF3rc6l3U1@individual.net> on Sat, 25 Dec 2004 20:16:39 -0500,
    "Charles Perry" <pipesandtobacco@hotmail.com> wrote:

    ><snip>
    >>>Thanks, I missunderstood. I thought I could access the web using the
    >>>phone
    >>>and CSD.
    >>
    >> You can.
    >
    >When I fire up the browser in the V551, how do I make it use CSD?

    From my earlier post:

    * Settings are needed for CSD from the phone (e.g., to use the email client
    in the phone over CSD, a data profile must be created and selected).

    Same thing applies to WAP browsing.

  27. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Thank you John and others for your responses.

    I'll go with the v551. Your help is appreciated.

    Chris

    > Signing up for new service with Cingular soon, and was wondering if I
    > could get some feedback as to which of these phones is better?
    >
    > Most important features:
    >
    > 1. Signal strength and battery life
    > 2. Import Outlook contacts
    > 3. Lots of address/book entries
    > 4. Durability
    > 5. Screen size / visual
    > 6. Headset hookups / hands free operation
    >
    > Not important:
    >
    > Camera or video
    > Text or MM messaging
    > Email from phone
    > Web browsing on phon
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any helpful advice you might have.
    >
    > Chris

  28. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Jack Zwick wrote:

    >>>Try using the FoxFire browser.
    >>

    >>I've tried Firefox, Nutscrape, and even the dreaded IE, same results -
    >>so something's amiss deeper under the hood. I'm suspecting some option
    >>in the firewall... now... where's that nephew....?
    >

    > Go ahead and brag about how you don't know what you're doing.

    Well, between the nephew and me, one of us screwed up. We found the
    glitch (not firewall, but Winders security zone, but 404 still puzzles
    me). Now, that URL does talk all around the issue with many details.
    So, getting back to my original point, I suppose if we study it long
    enough, it'll eventually make some sense, but it appears Cingular
    desperately needs to hire a translator.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'