Screen Dump

How do I do a screen dump and create an image of the screen? Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about screen dump

    Go to http://www.warecentral.com/download.htm to read about and get a
    copy of Printkey Pro

    In news:6E73664B-3AAE-44BB-9878-DE98F52B18AC@microsoft.com,
    TRM <TRM@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > How do I do a screen dump and create an image of the screen?
    > Thanks

    Back in the days of DOS, the PrintScrn key used to print the
    screen. But in all versions of Windows, this works differently,
    and the name of the key is now an anachronism.

    To use the key, press it to capture an image of the entire
    screen, or press alt-PrintScrn to capture an image of the active
    window. Either one captures the image to the Windows clipboard.
    Once it's in the clipboard you can paste (Ctrl-V) it into any
    application that supports graphics (Windows Paint, other graphics
    programs, even your favorite word processor). You can edit or add
    to the image as you wish, then print it.

    This ability to manipulate the image in a program before printing
    it is an improvement over the original DOS method of just
    printing it. But if you'd like that old facility back, there are
    several third-party freeware/shareware programs that can do this,
    such as PrintKey2000
    (http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/00zwd2/printkey2000.htm).

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    TRM wrote:

    > How do I do a screen dump and create an image of the screen?

    > Thanks

    Press the Print Screen key. If you hold the Alt key down while you do
    this you will capture the active window instead of the full screen. This
    action places the image in a special section of your computer's memory
    refered to as the Clipboard.

    Open a graphics program like the Paint program that comes with Windows.

    Use the grapics program's Paste From the Clipboard function, usually on
    the Edit menu. At this point the captured image should appear in the
    graphics program. you may have to respond to a popup asking permission
    to enlarge the graphic to fit the image you are importing.

    Use the graphics program's Print function, usually on the File menu. In
    some graphics programs you may be able to use the Page Setup function
    prior to printing to enlarge or shrink the graphic to fit the page.

    Use Alt-Print Screen (hold down the Alt key and press the Print Screen key).
    This will save the image to the clipboard. Then open a paint program and use
    Ctrl-V to paste the clipboard image into it. Good luck!

    "Cooter" <cooter@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Use Alt-Print Screen (hold down the Alt key and press the Print Screen
    > key).
    > This will save the image to the clipboard. Then open a paint program and
    > use
    > Ctrl-V to paste the clipboard image into it. Good luck!

    That will only capture the active window, not the whole screen.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    I use SnagIt (TechSmith) because of its wide variety of ways to capture
    everything from the entire screen to the full contents of a scrolling
    window. Try a free trial and see if you like it.

    "TRM" <TRM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I do a screen dump and create an image of the screen? Thanks

    > How do I do a screen dump and create an image of the screen? Thanks

    Simple as can be:::::;
    Just hit PrintScrn.
    Then, if you want to put the capture into something like 'word', just
    open it and hit Paste.

    Mr.

    alt print-scrn captures the *active* window. print-scrn on its own captures
    the *whole* screen

    "Cooter" <cooter@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Use Alt-Print Screen (hold down the Alt key and press the Print Screen
    > key).
    > This will save the image to the clipboard. Then open a paint program and
    > use
    > Ctrl-V to paste the clipboard image into it. Good luck!

Microsoft Windows XP