RIS problems

New to a company and trying to fix all their problems....;-)

first is that when trying to delete a bunch of stale images, i get an error
referencing a crypto key buried in the image. The error states the file isnt
there, and it refers to a different file for each image so its not a single
use problem.

The second is that since the sys admin tried to delete some files to make
room on the RIS server, i get an error "unable to find message text 1%* **and
corresponding message text 2%**, and am unable to upload any new images ??

any help would be greatly appreciated as this is one of several piles on my
plate..
4 answers Last reply
More about problems

    A couple of points:

    1. The RIS server uses something called a grovler, which
    steamlines the RIS volume by eliminating redundant data.
    This means that it does not keep multiple copies of the
    same file. If some files are eliminated, then it may
    interfere with the deployment of images.

    2. All RIS images are dependant on the initial CD-based
    image which was used to create it. If there are any
    modifications which are made to the CD-based image, the
    all of the correstponding RIS images can potentially fail
    to deploy.

    What this means:
    1. a. If there were files deleted from the RIS volume,
    then they were most likely originals.
    1. b. Why exactly were they trying to "make space" I fear
    that they kept the RIS images on the same volume as the
    system. Is this fact?
    2. If the CD based image is in anyway modified, then the
    RIS images won't work. Are the RIS images able to be
    deployed?

    Daniel

    You are quite right about the Single Instance Storage Groveler service which
    scans SIS volumes for duplicate files, but the 'files' you see in the file
    system for the images where this service is run are not the master copies of
    the file, just pointers, so you wont delete the original.

    "Daniel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > A couple of points:
    >
    > 1. The RIS server uses something called a grovler, which
    > steamlines the RIS volume by eliminating redundant data.
    > This means that it does not keep multiple copies of the
    > same file. If some files are eliminated, then it may
    > interfere with the deployment of images.
    >
    > 2. All RIS images are dependant on the initial CD-based
    > image which was used to create it. If there are any
    > modifications which are made to the CD-based image, the
    > all of the correstponding RIS images can potentially fail
    > to deploy.
    >
    > What this means:
    > 1. a. If there were files deleted from the RIS volume,
    > then they were most likely originals.
    > 1. b. Why exactly were they trying to "make space" I fear
    > that they kept the RIS images on the same volume as the
    > system. Is this fact?
    > 2. If the CD based image is in anyway modified, then the
    > RIS images won't work. Are the RIS images able to be
    > deployed?
    >
    > Daniel

    i was able to correct the error message by restoring the template files on
    the cd image, but still cant kill those crypto keys. The system is in poor
    service anyway, with dozens of stale images and duplicates, they actually
    were running out of room on the server. Yes they keep the cd images with the
    ris images, and they also use this server as a DC. Now the "test" xp images
    they were working on are coming up with the infamous "image doesnt contain
    the correct nic driver"......i suspect this will be ongoing...LOL. But any
    suggestions on how to kill off those last RSA files will be apprectiated

    "Chris" wrote:

    > You are quite right about the Single Instance Storage Groveler service which
    > scans SIS volumes for duplicate files, but the 'files' you see in the file
    > system for the images where this service is run are not the master copies of
    > the file, just pointers, so you wont delete the original.
    >
    > "Daniel" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > A couple of points:
    > >
    > > 1. The RIS server uses something called a grovler, which
    > > steamlines the RIS volume by eliminating redundant data.
    > > This means that it does not keep multiple copies of the
    > > same file. If some files are eliminated, then it may
    > > interfere with the deployment of images.
    > >
    > > 2. All RIS images are dependant on the initial CD-based
    > > image which was used to create it. If there are any
    > > modifications which are made to the CD-based image, the
    > > all of the correstponding RIS images can potentially fail
    > > to deploy.
    > >
    > > What this means:
    > > 1. a. If there were files deleted from the RIS volume,
    > > then they were most likely originals.
    > > 1. b. Why exactly were they trying to "make space" I fear
    > > that they kept the RIS images on the same volume as the
    > > system. Is this fact?
    > > 2. If the CD based image is in anyway modified, then the
    > > RIS images won't work. Are the RIS images able to be
    > > deployed?
    > >
    > > Daniel

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Well when I've come across that problem before, I have managed to delete the
    files by using the del command in the command prompt. For some reason,
    Windows Explorer doesn't seem to like the path to the files.

    You can solve the incorrect NIC problem by adding the correct driver files
    into the i386 folder of the CD-based image. These will usually be a .sys
    file, a .cat file & an .inf file. I have found also that some drivers that
    are included in the base image do not support some newer NICs & need to be
    updated with newer versions of the .sys file (rename the old one *.old
    instead of deleting it just in case!). Once new driver files are placed in
    the i386 folder, restart the BINL service on the DC & when you first try to
    connect to the RIS server using the new drivers, you should see the .inf
    files compiled into .pnf files with the same name.

Microsoft Windows