Sign in with
Your question

New Computer = Burning in hell

Last response: in CPUs
March 14, 2007 4:23:16 PM

I just built my new computer, 2 gigs of ram, EVGA 680i mobo, E6600 Core 2 Duo processor, 700w PSU, 8800GTS, etc. etc.

Well i finally turn it on and YAY! IT BOOTS!

So i go get a soda, come back 5 minutes, and the system is off. Quick "WTF?" and i boot it, go into the bios, and look at the temps. Sure enough, the CPU is at 55 C and rising about 2 C per second. So after a minute or two, the processor peaks at about 90 degrees and the computer immediately shuts down.

Everything else is fine (Chipset around 35, board at a cool 27), all the fans are spinning, even the processor's heatsink fan.

So here's the question:
What is wrong? Do i need a new heatsink? Buy more/reapply thermal paste?

Before you ask, yes the heatsink is touching the processor.

More about : computer burning hell

March 14, 2007 4:26:49 PM

Is it fully seated though? They can be rather tricky to get on. On the back of the board all four little black things should be poking out from inside the white clips. It takes not insignificant force to install it correctly. And I assume you didn't leave the plastic cover on either the processor or the heatsink?
March 14, 2007 4:28:18 PM

Yeah i took all three protective covers off (heatsink, processor, socket), and the heatsink is seated correctly.
Related resources
March 14, 2007 4:33:19 PM

Well gee that's peculiar. Make sure the vcore in the BIOS is correct, it should be around 1.3, maybe the auto voltage is giving it way too much though I've never seen it before.

Also it's possible (but not likely) that the contact surface of the heatsink is warped. The thermal paste should be mashed out flat across the heatsink and heatspreader.

Other than that I don't know what it could be, other than a faulty sensor or something.
March 14, 2007 5:41:58 PM

Hm.......do you think removing and re-seating the heatsink would help?
March 14, 2007 6:46:54 PM

Quote:
Hm.......do you think removing and re-seating the heatsink would help?

Remove it, clean off the thermal compound, put some new on, and reinastall it...make triple sure the damn pins are pushed down AND locked.

Intels mounting mechanism is total shite and I've seen more issues with stock and third party coolers that use the intel design mechanism than anyother in the past...
March 14, 2007 7:23:44 PM

Re-installed with a hammer and now it's working great, LOL
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2007 2:53:05 AM

DemPyros, while you're at it, check out the following Sticky for information regarding proper temperatures, testing, monitoring and links:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2007 3:14:50 AM

Quote:
DemPyros, while you're at it, check out the following Sticky for information regarding proper temperatures, testing, monitoring and links:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)

Yup Comu gets $1 everytime someone reads that guide :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
Good guide tho.

I also agree that Intels stock hsf mounting is pretty average. 9/10 if ur getting strange readings its a mounting issue. Remove and remount.
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2007 4:07:21 AM

Quote:
Yup Comu gets $1 everytime someone reads that guide
Good guide tho.

Don't I wish!!! :lol:  Unfortunately, I'm just a nice guy trying to help people sort out this confusing temperature mess the motherboard manufacturers have created due to their lack of attention to detail.

Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

Comp 8)
March 15, 2007 11:49:19 AM

Quote:
Re-installed with a hammer and now it's working great, LOL

8O

Well... whatever works... Good job.
!