Sever 2000 upgrade

We are currently using a Windows 2000 Professional system to store some
files on but because of the 10 user limit it is causing problems. I
purchased Windows 2000 server and want to load it on this system. Because we
have a couple of NT servers still in the network I don't plan on using
directory services at this time. My question is can I "upgrade" this system
from 2000 Professional to 2000 Server in order to keep all the files I have
stored on it rather than a complete new install?

No. A format and reinstall is required.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Dale" <dalen@clark-metal.com> wrote in message
> We are currently using a Windows 2000 Professional system to store some
> files on but because of the 10 user limit it is causing problems. I
> purchased Windows 2000 server and want to load it on this system. Because
we
> have a couple of NT servers still in the network I don't plan on using
> directory services at this time. My question is can I "upgrade" this
system
> from 2000 Professional to 2000 Server in order to keep all the files I
have
> stored on it rather than a complete new install?

Unfortunately not. This link provides the supported upgrade paths for 2000.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232039

***
Terrence Tan [MSFT]
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

"What is it that binds us to this place as to no other? It is not the well
or the bell or the stone walls or the crisp October nights...No, our love
for this place is based upon the fact that it is as it was meant to be
The University of the People." (Charles Kuralt)

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This
posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The views and
opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do not
necessarily express or reflect the views and/or opinions of Microsoft.
<From: "Dale" <dalen@clark-metal.com>
<Subject: Sever 2000 upgrade
<Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:53:09 -0400
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment