Hi, We just bought our computer and am very excited to download video off of
our Sony Handycam. However, when I went to install the software (the sony
software that came with it) it told me that the hardware was not imprinted
with the XP compatability signature. It said that finishing the installation
could make it vulnerable to viruses and could damage the system. Does anyone
know if I can disregard that warning and go ahead and install it? WIll I
damage the computer? My sony handycam is model DCR-HC40.
Thank you for any input you can provide.
Alice

Hi Alice,

It just means it was not run through Microsoft's certification. That doesn't
mean it will damage your system, it just means that it didn't get the
official "okey-dokey". This is quite common. If you do have trouble with the
software, you need to contact Sony with the issue (but I suspect you won't
be needing to).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"AliceinND" <AliceinND@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, We just bought our computer and am very excited to download video off
> of
> our Sony Handycam. However, when I went to install the software (the sony
> software that came with it) it told me that the hardware was not imprinted
> with the XP compatability signature. It said that finishing the
> installation
> could make it vulnerable to viruses and could damage the system. Does
> anyone
> know if I can disregard that warning and go ahead and install it? WIll I
> damage the computer? My sony handycam is model DCR-HC40.
> Thank you for any input you can provide.
> Alice

Hi Rick,
Just wanted to say thank you very much for replying to me, Rick. You helped
a lot and I appreciate your taking the time to answer my question.
Thanks,
Alice

AliceinND Wrote:
> Hi, We just bought our computer and am very excited to download video
> off of
> our Sony Handycam. However, when I went to install the software (the
> sony
> software that came with it) it told me that the hardware was not
> imprinted
> with the XP compatability signature. It said that finishing the
> installation
> could make it vulnerable to viruses and could damage the system. Does
> anyone
> know if I can disregard that warning and go ahead and install it? WIll
> damage the computer? My sony handycam is model DCR-HC40.
> Thank you for any input you can provide.
> Alice
AliceinND,
How do you intend to transfer the files? USB or Ilink (firewire)
There is a Sony version of the USB drivers on 3/1/2004 (usbdrvn.exe)
he
http://tinyurl.com/4q4ot
But it's probably the same one's you already have on disk.
The unsigned drivers issue is normal, it depends on if XP was set up to
warn, just install without the warning, or block the install. In control
panel, system, device manager, driver signing. Microsoft has a database
on your computer of known unsigned drivers. I would just install it.
Then post to the video section if you have a problem. Making a restore
point first wouldn't hurt.
Good Luck,
Treeman

--