restricting access by users to O.S.

Joe

I would like to make some computers available to some kids with social
problems and I would like to restrict their access to everything including
whether they can install something on the computer, whether they can change
the wallpaper, or the local hard disk etc without using a domain. Is this
possible? If yes can you tell me what I'll need to learn or do to make it
happen?
Also, I would like to know if it's possible to setup something like a
mandatory profile on a machine without using a domain.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Hello Joe,

What you need to learn is Local Group Policy and NTFS file pernissions. You can pretty much lock the
machine down with this. The Group Policy can be set by going to Start/Run/mmc and adding the Group
Policy snap-in to the console.

Hope this gives you a good starting point

David Hancock [MSFT]
Microsoft Server Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory

Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of Microsoft.

Joe

Thanks David, the Group Policy editor from the mmc is quite helpful.
Cheers!

Joe

*

> David Hancock [MSFT]
> Microsoft Server Setup Team
>
> Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/directory
>
> Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp
>
> See the Windows NT Homepage at http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/
>
> NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
> others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
> more timely response. Thank you!
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
> implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
> merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
>
> The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
> not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
Microsoft.

**