Backup Restore

June 9, 2005 11:40:32 PM

After several months, my iPAQ 2210 refuses to connect with my desktop pc
via active sync. Hewlitt-Packard suggested doing a hard reset, but I was
reluctant to do so and then find out , perhaps, that it didn't take care
of the problem. (If it didn't work, I thought, I wouldn't be able to
reinstall the programs I'm presently using, and would wind up with an
expensive piece of junk.) It dawned on me today that I could possible back
up my data on an SD card, and then, in a worst-case scenario, simply do a
back-up restore, and at least be in as good shape as I am right now. My
question is this: Will a back-up restore do exactly that? Will all the
programs, icons, data, etc., be reinstalled exactly as they are now, or am
I whistling in the dark? I appreciate your response.

Clem Nichols
--
Clem Nichols

More about : backup restore

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:40:33 PM

Clem,

If you use ActiveSync's Backup and Restore and do a full backup of your
device, you will be good-to-go. I just did this myself on my ViewSonic.

I used the Backup to safe it to my HD then did the hard reset. When I
redocked the device, I did not create a partnership but just connected as
Guest. I then did a restore from the backup and after a soft-reset was back
to where I was before.

Hope this helps.

(No warranty implied).

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Clem Nichols via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@nospam.PocketPCJunkies.com>
wrote in message
> After several months, my iPAQ 2210 refuses to connect with my desktop pc
> via active sync. Hewlitt-Packard suggested doing a hard reset, but I was
> reluctant to do so and then find out , perhaps, that it didn't take care
> of the problem. (If it didn't work, I thought, I wouldn't be able to
> reinstall the programs I'm presently using, and would wind up with an
> expensive piece of junk.) It dawned on me today that I could possible
> back
> up my data on an SD card, and then, in a worst-case scenario, simply do a
> back-up restore, and at least be in as good shape as I am right now. My
> question is this: Will a back-up restore do exactly that? Will all the
> programs, icons, data, etc., be reinstalled exactly as they are now, or am
> I whistling in the dark? I appreciate your response.
>
> Clem Nichols
> --
> Clem Nichols

June 9, 2005 11:40:33 PM

I can't provide advise on the direction that you're interested in going.
However, once you do get things back up and running, I would HIGHLY
recommend turning on the Backup/Restore functionality available via
ActiveSync. The functionality creates a backup of the PPC on your PC
after each and every sync. I've had my PPC since last November and have
already had to do about 3 full restores or so. It works like a charm.

David H

Clem Nichols via PocketPCJunkies.com wrote:
> After several months, my iPAQ 2210 refuses to connect with my desktop pc
> via active sync. Hewlitt-Packard suggested doing a hard reset, but I was
> reluctant to do so and then find out , perhaps, that it didn't take care
> of the problem. (If it didn't work, I thought, I wouldn't be able to
> reinstall the programs I'm presently using, and would wind up with an
> expensive piece of junk.) It dawned on me today that I could possible back
> up my data on an SD card, and then, in a worst-case scenario, simply do a
> back-up restore, and at least be in as good shape as I am right now. My
> question is this: Will a back-up restore do exactly that? Will all the
> programs, icons, data, etc., be reinstalled exactly as they are now, or am
> I whistling in the dark? I appreciate your response.
>
> Clem Nichols
June 10, 2005 12:30:01 AM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:40:32 GMT, Clem Nichols via PocketPCJunkies.com
wrote:

> My
> question is this: Will a back-up restore do exactly that? Will all the
> programs, icons, data, etc., be reinstalled exactly as they are now, or am
> I whistling in the dark?

All the data on your memory cards will be saved, but I'm guessing you
already know this. If you use the backup software that is installed on
your iPAQ, it should backup /all/ the data stored in your RAM. Hard
reset doesn't affect the data in your ROM (Pocket Word, games, etc.).

I use iPAQ Backup (= Sprite) to create a backup and save it to one of
my memory cards. So far, I've restored my PPC twice after a hard reset
without a problem.

Start > Porgrams > iPAQ Backup > Options

to show you what to exclude. I've selected

iPAQ Backup Files (*.PBF)
Those are safely put away on my CF card.
Log Files (*.LOG)
Who needs'em?
Persistant Storage
Isn't deleted after a hard reset (if I'm not mistaken).

Also, better do a soft reset before making the backup or you can get
an error caused by Activesync.

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | Brando Workshop Protector Plus | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB |
SanDisk CF 256 MiB | Sandisk SD 1 GiB | D-Link DBT-120

Clinton:

Thanks for your response. The only problem is I can't get my iPAQ to
communicate with Active Sync on my desktop at all. When I go to
ActiveSync/connections, it shows there's a device connected to the USB
port, and Active Sync on the iPAQ is set for my desktop and a USB
connection. Nothing ever happens, however. The iPAQ seems to lock up, and
I have to do a soft reset before it will respond to any input whatsoever.
I was referring to using the backup program on the iPAQ, storing the data
on an SD card, doing a hard reset, and then reinstalling all my current
programs, etc., from the SD card.

Clem Nichols

--
Clem Nichols

June 10, 2005 3:02:40 AM

Thanks for your reply. Based on your experience it sounds like the iPAQ's
backup restore will do exactly what I want it to do, ie put everything back
in place in the appropriate program files, etc.

Clem Nichols

s|b wrote:
>> My
>> question is this: Will a back-up restore do exactly that? Will all the
>> programs, icons, data, etc., be reinstalled exactly as they are now, or am
>> I whistling in the dark?
>
>All the data on your memory cards will be saved, but I'm guessing you
>already know this. If you use the backup software that is installed on
>your iPAQ, it should backup /all/ the data stored in your RAM. Hard
>reset doesn't affect the data in your ROM (Pocket Word, games, etc.).
>
>I use iPAQ Backup (= Sprite) to create a backup and save it to one of
>my memory cards. So far, I've restored my PPC twice after a hard reset
>without a problem.
>
>Start > Porgrams > iPAQ Backup > Options
>
>to show you what to exclude. I've selected
>
>iPAQ Backup Files (*.PBF)
> Those are safely put away on my CF card.
>Log Files (*.LOG)
> Who needs'em?
>Persistant Storage
> Isn't deleted after a hard reset (if I'm not mistaken).
>
>Also, better do a soft reset before making the backup or you can get
>an error caused by Activesync.

--
Clem Nichols

June 10, 2005 3:04:40 AM

David:

Good advice, and I assure you that when (and if) I'm once again running at
100% I'll do just that.

Clem Nichols

--
Clem Nichols

June 10, 2005 3:45:03 AM

Clem,

based on the other responses it sounds like the iPaq backup to SD is going
to be your only path.

I agree with David's post: Get AS up and running and use that
backup/restore function. It is simple and works well.

Good luck!

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Clem Nichols via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote in
message news:9cdcbcdd92624c3ca7d2a877f7b78c5d@PocketPCJunkies.com...
> Clinton:
>
> Thanks for your response. The only problem is I can't get my iPAQ to
> communicate with Active Sync on my desktop at all. When I go to
> ActiveSync/connections, it shows there's a device connected to the USB
> port, and Active Sync on the iPAQ is set for my desktop and a USB
> connection. Nothing ever happens, however. The iPAQ seems to lock up,
> and
> I have to do a soft reset before it will respond to any input whatsoever.
> I was referring to using the backup program on the iPAQ, storing the data
> on an SD card, doing a hard reset, and then reinstalling all my current
> programs, etc., from the SD card.
>
> Clem Nichols
>
> Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch \(Dot\) Com! wrote:
>>Clem,
>>
>>If you use ActiveSync's Backup and Restore and do a full backup of your
>>device, you will be good-to-go. I just did this myself on my ViewSonic.
>>
>>I used the Backup to safe it to my HD then did the hard reset. When I
>>redocked the device, I did not create a partnership but just connected as
>>Guest. I then did a restore from the backup and after a soft-reset was
>>back
>>to where I was before.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>(No warranty implied).
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>> After several months, my iPAQ 2210 refuses to connect with my desktop pc
>>> via active sync. Hewlitt-Packard suggested doing a hard reset, but I
>>> was
>>[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]
>>>
>>> Clem Nichols
>>
> --
> Clem Nichols

June 10, 2005 8:09:37 PM

I have an hx4700 and have used the inbuilt Ipaq(Sprite) packup on several
occasions, and after a soft reset it is perfect. The only snag is when you
sync it with your pc, it states 1000's of differences, so I overwrite the Pc
from the PPC and all is ok.

John

"Clem Nichols via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@PocketPCJunkies.com> wrote in
message news:a33bcfd7714d4a25bf2df6617c3ec650@PocketPCJunkies.com...
> David:
>
> Good advice, and I assure you that when (and if) I'm once again running at
> 100% I'll do just that.
>
> Clem Nichols
>
> David C. Holley wrote:
>>I can't provide advise on the direction that you're interested in going.
>>However, once you do get things back up and running, I would HIGHLY
>>recommend turning on the Backup/Restore functionality available via
>>ActiveSync. The functionality creates a backup of the PPC on your PC
>>after each and every sync. I've had my PPC since last November and have
>>already had to do about 3 full restores or so. It works like a charm.
>>
>>David H
>>
>>> After several months, my iPAQ 2210 refuses to connect with my desktop pc
>>> via active sync. Hewlitt-Packard suggested doing a hard reset, but I
>>> was
>>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>>
>>> Clem Nichols
> --
> Clem Nichols

June 10, 2005 10:33:00 PM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:10:13 -0400, David C. Holley wrote:

> I would HIGHLY
> recommend turning on the Backup/Restore functionality available via
> ActiveSync. The functionality creates a backup of the PPC on your PC
> after each and every sync.

You can set up iPAQ Backup (Sprite) to make daily/weekly/... backups.
My settings are to make a weekly backup. Appointments etc. are saved
in Outlook when I synchronize (almost daily).

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | Brando Workshop Protector Plus | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB |
SanDisk CF 256 MiB | Sandisk SD 1 GiB | D-Link DBT-120
June 10, 2005 10:33:01 PM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:33:00 GMT, s|b wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:10:13 -0400, David C. Holley wrote:
>
>> I would HIGHLY
>> recommend turning on the Backup/Restore functionality available via
>> ActiveSync. The functionality creates a backup of the PPC on your PC
>> after each and every sync.
>
>You can set up iPAQ Backup (Sprite) to make daily/weekly/... backups.
>My settings are to make a weekly backup. Appointments etc. are saved
>in Outlook when I synchronize (almost daily).

The only problem is if you restore using this software, you will have
to re-sync you PIM data as if it was a new partnership. Very, very
annoying.

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 23:02:40 GMT, Clem Nichols via PocketPCJunkies.com
wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. Based on your experience it sounds like the iPAQ's
> backup restore will do exactly what I want it to do, ie put everything back
> in place in the appropriate program files, etc.

That is correct. From what I've read from other users, the software
that is used by iPAQ, Sprite Backup, is supposed to be very good.

You can read more about here:
<http://www.spritesoftware.com/en/personal/products/wind...;

--
HP iPAQ h2210 | Brando Workshop Protector Plus | HP Leather Belt Case | Kingston CF 1 GiB |
SanDisk CF 256 MiB | Sandisk SD 1 GiB | D-Link DBT-120
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:28:21 PM

"Clem Nichols via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@nospam.PocketPCJunkies.com> of
http://www.PocketPCJunkies.com wrote:
>After several months, my iPAQ 2210 refuses to connect with my desktop pc
>via active sync. Hewlitt-Packard suggested doing a hard reset, but I was
>reluctant to do so and then find out , perhaps, that it didn't take care
>of the problem. (If it didn't work, I thought, I wouldn't be able to
>reinstall the programs I'm presently using, and would wind up with an
>expensive piece of junk.) It dawned on me today that I could possible back
>up my data on an SD card, and then, in a worst-case scenario, simply do a
>back-up restore, and at least be in as good shape as I am right now. My
>question is this: Will a back-up restore do exactly that? Will all the
>programs, icons, data, etc., be reinstalled exactly as they are now, or am
>I whistling in the dark? I appreciate your response.

You do a backup, then a hard reset, then get your connection sorted. Fine.
Then you restore the backup, and almost certainly will restore whatever it
was that was stopping your PPC from connecting; you will be back *exactly*
where you are now. It's worth a try because you might be lucky and maintain
the connection.

The way to deal with this type of problem is take regular backups onto the
card, use a card reader to transfer them to your PC, and then restore a
backup that doesn't have the problem.
--
An ounce of hypocrisy is worth a pound of ambition. - Michael Korda
Steph Peters delete invalid from incm@sandbenders.demon.co.uk.invalid

Steph Peters wrote:

> "Clem Nichols via PocketPCJunkies.com" <forum@nospam.PocketPCJunkies.com> of
> http://www.PocketPCJunkies.com wrote:
> >After several months, my iPAQ 2210 refuses to connect with my desktop pc
> >via active sync. Hewlitt-Packard suggested doing a hard reset, but I was
> >reluctant to do so and then find out , perhaps, that it didn't take care
> >of the problem. (If it didn't work, I thought, I wouldn't be able to
> >reinstall the programs I'm presently using, and would wind up with an
> >expensive piece of junk.) It dawned on me today that I could possible back
> >up my data on an SD card, and then, in a worst-case scenario, simply do a
> >back-up restore, and at least be in as good shape as I am right now. My
> >question is this: Will a back-up restore do exactly that? Will all the
> >programs, icons, data, etc., be reinstalled exactly as they are now, or am
> >I whistling in the dark? I appreciate your response.
>
> You do a backup, then a hard reset, then get your connection sorted. Fine.
> Then you restore the backup, and almost certainly will restore whatever it
> was that was stopping your PPC from connecting; you will be back *exactly*
> where you are now. It's worth a try because you might be lucky and maintain
> the connection.
>
> The way to deal with this type of problem is take regular backups onto the
> card, use a card reader to transfer them to your PC, and then restore a
> backup that doesn't have the problem.
> --
> An ounce of hypocrisy is worth a pound of ambition. - Michael Korda
> Steph Peters delete invalid from incm@sandbenders.demon.co.uk.invalid
> Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm&gt;

Steph,

That's good advice. A few times, I've had a problem when the built-in Wi-Fi
stopped working on my iPaq 4155. I keep several backups using the included
iPaq Backup program that came with my PPC on my SD storage card. First
I use the iPaq Backup to back up my current contacts and calendar to the
iPaq File Store. I then restore a previous good backup of all my data from
the SD Card to the iPaq. Then I restore the current contacts and calendar.
This brings me to a previous backup before the problem happened, and I
have my current contacts, etc. Works for me.

Scott
!