Where is everyone?

Hi,

Has everyone moved to Win2003? I was just looking at the newsgroups;
they've got one for "XP", but I don't see one for Win2003 setup and
deployment...

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Try looking in;
public.windows.server.*

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Gerry Hickman" wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Has everyone moved to Win2003? I was just looking at the newsgroups;
| they've got one for "XP", but I don't see one for Win2003 setup and
| deployment...
|
| --
| Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Hi Gerry

As Dave says, the Windows Server 2003 groups start
microsoft.public.windows.server. There seems to be a setup group, but no
setup_deployment for some reason. I'm not sure where people are supposed to
discuss server-specific deployment technologies such as ADS.

Yes, it does seem quiet around here. Windows 2000 is something that most
people will have figured out how to deploy efficiently by now. The Windows
XP groups seem to be a bit busier.

Regards

Oli

Dave Patrick wrote:

> Try looking in;
> public.windows.server.*

Thanks, there's some interesting looking groups in there.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Hi Oli,

> Yes, it does seem quiet around here. Windows 2000 is something that most
> people will have figured out how to deploy efficiently by now. The Windows
> XP groups seem to be a bit busier.

Yes, but the XP groups are full of home users asking how to change the
wallpaper form "Mickey-Mouse to Scooby-Doo".

I want to see TXTSETUP.OEM files with strings for SCSI controllers that
no-one has ever heard of outside the basement of MegaCorp inc, raw
bootsectors ready to type in manually with a sector editor, low-level
analysis of fibre SAN connections, one-button monitoring,
network-analysis and deployment, and so on:)

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Yeah, I know what you mean there.

Have you read Patrick's entertaining story about txtsetup?

Cheers

Oli

http://www.mail-archive.com/unattended-info@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00107.html

Oli Restorick [MVP] wrote:

> Yeah, I know what you mean there.
>
> Have you read Patrick's entertaining story about txtsetup?

Yes!! And it was extremely helpful. I ran into a major problem making a
CD-ROM build for some new Dell servers (Perc2). I could not get it to
work with TXTSETUP.OEM and ended up having to hack the winnt.sif file (I
think that's the one anyway). Patrick's article was helpful though,
because even though it didn't solve my txtsetup problem, it made me look
at the whole thing in much more detail.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Cool. I thought you'd have read it, but my main purpose in mentioning it
was to give it a plug. Would have helped if I'd actually included a link to
the page, though!