No Trust Between SBS 2003 and W2K AD -- so a Question

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
October 9, 2004 8:42:02 PM

Hi,

I have learned by reading through this newsgroup that you can not
create a trust relationship between SBS 2003 and a Windows 2K AD
domain.. So my question is -- what is the "best" way to allow users
who are already being authenticated via Active Directory on a Win 2000
server domain controller to access their Exchange mailbox on the SBS
server? If I set the user name and passwords the same on both domains,
will they be asked to log in twice? (Once for the 2k domain and once
for the Exchange server?) If setting the usernames/passwords is the
way to go, is there a way to synchronize between the two servers so if
a user changes their win2k password (when it expires, for example) the
pw is updated on the Exchange server as well?

I assume that if we forgo SBS and buy w2k3 server and Exchange Server
2k3 we can create trust relationships? But what about connecting
Exchange server to a Pop3 server? I know that SBS comes with this
connector -- is it available seperately?

Thanks

Rich
Anonymous
October 13, 2004 12:15:37 AM

Rich-

You're SOL on this since you have SBS. If you could create trust
relationships, you would add the trusted user to the mailbox ACL, and grant
it full mailbox access and associated external account. Alas, you can't do
that.

There is something you buy for SBS called the transition pack. Basically,
you install it and it transforms your SBS environment into a conflomeration
fo full blown products - youc an then make trusts/

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com