Win 2000 Joining NT 4.0 Domain as BDC

I have a Win NT 4.0 as a single Domain with an NT 4.0 PDC.
I have stand alone Win 2000 server without Active
Directory. I would like to join the 2000 Server to the NT
4 based Domain as a BDC. Is this possible to do without
any big repercussions?

Duggan
5 answers Last reply
More about 2000 joining domain

    It is not possible have a Windows 2000 as a domain controller in an NT 4.0
    domain.

    ***
    Terrence Tan [MSFT]
    Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

    "What is it that binds us to this place as to no other? It is not the well
    or the bell or the stone walls or the crisp October nights...No, our love
    for this place is based upon the fact that it is as it was meant to be
    The University of the People." (Charles Kuralt)

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This
    posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The views and
    opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do not
    necessarily express or reflect the views and/or opinions of Microsoft.
    --------------------
    <From: "Duggan59" <duggan59@hotmail.com>
    <Sender: "Duggan59" <duggan59@hotmail.com>
    <Subject: Win 2000 Joining NT 4.0 Domain as BDC
    <Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:44:23 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
    <
    <I have a Win NT 4.0 as a single Domain with an NT 4.0 PDC.
    <I have stand alone Win 2000 server without Active
    <Directory. I would like to join the 2000 Server to the NT
    <4 based Domain as a BDC. Is this possible to do without
    <any big repercussions?
    <
    <Duggan
    <

    Then, is it possible to make a server under the domain? I ma just trying ot
    get the accounts and passwords over to this box. Please let me know.

    Duggan

    ""Terrence Tan [MSFT]"" wrote:

    > It is not possible have a Windows 2000 as a domain controller in an NT 4.0
    > domain.
    >
    > ***
    > Terrence Tan [MSFT]
    > Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support
    >
    > "What is it that binds us to this place as to no other? It is not the well
    > or the bell or the stone walls or the crisp October nights...No, our love
    > for this place is based upon the fact that it is as it was meant to be
    > The University of the People." (Charles Kuralt)
    >
    > NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This
    > posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    > implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    > merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The views and
    > opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do not
    > necessarily express or reflect the views and/or opinions of Microsoft.
    > --------------------
    > <From: "Duggan59" <duggan59@hotmail.com>
    > <Sender: "Duggan59" <duggan59@hotmail.com>
    > <Subject: Win 2000 Joining NT 4.0 Domain as BDC
    > <Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:44:23 -0700
    > <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
    > <
    > <I have a Win NT 4.0 as a single Domain with an NT 4.0 PDC.
    > <I have stand alone Win 2000 server without Active
    > <Directory. I would like to join the 2000 Server to the NT
    > <4 based Domain as a BDC. Is this possible to do without
    > <any big repercussions?
    > <
    > <Duggan
    > <

    > Then, is it possible to make a server under the domain?

    Not sure what you are asking here.

    You can use ADMT to get the user accounts to the new Win 2k domain. To use
    ADMT you must set the Win 2k domain in native mode which means you can not
    have an NT 4.0 BDC in the Win 2k domain, and the domain name of the Win 2k
    domain needs to be different from the NT 4.0 domain so you can create a
    trust.

    See:
    How to Set Up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Migration

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260871

    FYI

    If your final out come is to move to a Win 2k domain you might want to take
    some time and research the methods.
    Basically there are two, Migrate and upgrade. Each has it's pros and cons.
    Depending on what you want the final outcome to be can determine your path.
    You are going to have to make some choices during setup that may take a
    format and reinstall to recover from.

    To upgrade see:
    How To: Upgrade Windows NT Server 4.0 to Windows 2000 Server

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107

    hth

    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Duggan 59" <duggan59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Then, is it possible to make a server under the domain? I ma just trying
    ot
    > get the accounts and passwords over to this box. Please let me know.
    >
    > Duggan
    >
    > ""Terrence Tan [MSFT]"" wrote:
    >
    > > It is not possible have a Windows 2000 as a domain controller in an NT
    4.0
    > > domain.
    > >
    > > ***
    > > Terrence Tan [MSFT]
    > > Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support
    > >
    > > "What is it that binds us to this place as to no other? It is not the
    well
    > > or the bell or the stone walls or the crisp October nights...No, our
    love
    > > for this place is based upon the fact that it is as it was meant to be
    > > The University of the People." (Charles Kuralt)
    > >
    > > NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This
    > > posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    > > implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    > > merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The views and
    > > opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do not
    > > necessarily express or reflect the views and/or opinions of Microsoft.
    > > --------------------
    > > <From: "Duggan59" <duggan59@hotmail.com>
    > > <Sender: "Duggan59" <duggan59@hotmail.com>
    > > <Subject: Win 2000 Joining NT 4.0 Domain as BDC
    > > <Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:44:23 -0700
    > > <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
    > > <
    > > <I have a Win NT 4.0 as a single Domain with an NT 4.0 PDC.
    > > <I have stand alone Win 2000 server without Active
    > > <Directory. I would like to join the 2000 Server to the NT
    > > <4 based Domain as a BDC. Is this possible to do without
    > > <any big repercussions?
    > > <
    > > <Duggan
    > > <

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    The 2000 Server can serve as a member server in the NT domain.

    ***
    Terrence Tan [MSFT]
    Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

    "What is it that binds us to this place as to no other? It is not the well
    or the bell or the stone walls or the crisp October nights...No, our love
    for this place is based upon the fact that it is as it was meant to be
    The University of the People." (Charles Kuralt)

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This
    posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The views and
    opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do not
    necessarily express or reflect the views and/or opinions of Microsoft.
    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?RHVnZ2FuIDU5?= <duggan59@hotmail.com>
    <Subject: RE: Win 2000 Joining NT 4.0 Domain as BDC
    <Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:29:03 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
    <
    <""Terrence Tan [MSFT]"" wrote:
    <
    <> It is not possible have a Windows 2000 as a domain controller in an NT
    4.0
    <> domain.
    <>
    <> ***
[...]
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "Duggan59" <duggan59@hotmail.com>
    <> <Sender: "Duggan59" <duggan59@hotmail.com>
    <> <Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 08:44:23 -0700
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
    <> <
    <> <I have a Win NT 4.0 as a single Domain with an NT 4.0 PDC.
    <> <I have stand alone Win 2000 server without Active
    <> <Directory. I would like to join the 2000 Server to the NT
    <> <4 based Domain as a BDC. Is this possible to do without
    <> <any big repercussions?
    <> <
    <> <Duggan
    <> <
    <>
    <>
    <
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I agree with Danny.

    Take your time and do some reading. Step 1 is not to insert the CD in the
    drive.

    I would recommend you go and get a good book. The following two are ones
    I'd recommend:

    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Unleashed, Sams
    Mastering Windows Server 2003, Sybex (Mark Minasi, et al)

    Regards

    Oli

    "Duggan 59" <duggan59@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Then, is it possible to make a server under the domain? I ma just trying
    > ot
    > get the accounts and passwords over to this box. Please let me know.
    >
    > Duggan

Domain Microsoft Servers Windows