Xp Machines Are slow accessing the network

We have installed XP machines on a 2000 server. They are slow and
ocassionally lock accessing the network. The existing windows 2000 machines
are fine. It is a single instance domain name. Can this be the problem? DNS
is setup and running correctly.
--
Lakewood
3 answers Last reply

    Hi Lakewood,

    I only run Win2k, but the guys in the building over the road are running
    XP and describe this exact problem. No one seems to know what causes it;
    I've seen some other posts on newsgroups about it too.

    One rumour is that XP tries to do too much caching. What ping results do
    you get when the client boxes are in this state? Ping from client to
    server, and testing also from server to client. If you run Network
    monitor or Perfmon from a remote machine, what do you see?

    lakewood wrote:

    > We have installed XP machines on a 2000 server. They are slow and
    > ocassionally lock accessing the network. The existing windows 2000 machines
    > are fine. It is a single instance domain name. Can this be the problem? DNS
    > is setup and running correctly.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    Hi Gerry
    The problem is only sporadic. Any time I am on site the machines perform
    fine. But at what seem to be random times, mostly in MS Office 2003 closing
    documents can take minutes. I have applied some additional hotfixes to the
    server. I will post back if this helps. Also Xp will be slow if is is not
    pointed toward a forwarding DNS server on the domain. But it will be slow all
    the time.

    lakewood wrote:

    > The problem is only sporadic. Any time I am on site the machines perform
    > fine.

    If you're not always on-site, this is problematic; you can't just run
    over and have a look.

    > But at what seem to be random times, mostly in MS Office 2003 closing
    > documents can take minutes.

    But how do you know this is related to XP and not Office? Or do you run
    2003 on Win2k as well? Are these boxes running any kind of AV? Can you
    get them to disable the XP firewall and ping stuff while you're talking
    to them by phone? It would be good to be pinging stuff in a separate CMD
    process while the office document is still trying to close, that would
    tell you a LOT about what's going on.

    > Also Xp will be slow if is is not
    > pointed toward a forwarding DNS server on the domain. But it will be slow all
    > the time.

    Not sure what you mean here. Why would it NOT be pointing to a DNS
    server and/or why would this DNS server not have forwarders set up? If
    it's trying to access external sites could this be some kind of SpyWare
    (either Microsoft approved or otherwise). You then say "But it will be
    slow all the time", again not sure what you mean by that...

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows XP Windows