2003 Server Deployment

I'm planning to upgrade my domain to 2003 servers. Currently I have:
SERVER1- DC,DNS,DHCP,GC,PDC
SERVER2- DC,DNS
SERVER3- DC
I want to upgrade SERVER1 but replace SERVER2 & 3 with two new 2003 servers.

What would be the best route to take regarding upgrading/moving the servers?
Upgrade SERVER1 then add the new servers then demote the old two?

Also what would be the impact of a 2003 only domain on 9x clients? Its a
mainly XP network but there are some old machines in use.

How do you current have your 9x clients configured for network connectoin? my
understanding is that 9x clients are not able to connect to the domain and
mearly use some of the basic rescources such as file sharing. In which case i
would imagine that there will not be any issues with the 2003 server only
environment.

Although ... i would consider upgrading these clients, is there any reason
for them being 9x ... do you have applications that are not XP complient
running on them?

The 9x clients are configured to connect to the domain. They're only left as
9x for cost reasons as upgrading them will need hardware upgrades as well so
they're gradually being phased out - a 9x workstation is better than nothing!

"Sir Rawlins" wrote:

> How do you current have your 9x clients configured for network connectoin? my
> understanding is that 9x clients are not able to connect to the domain and
> mearly use some of the basic rescources such as file sharing. In which case i
> would imagine that there will not be any issues with the 2003 server only
> environment.
>
> Although ... i would consider upgrading these clients, is there any reason
> for them being 9x ... do you have applications that are not XP complient
> running on them?

TRENDING THREADS