GA-M59SLI-S5 for my first buid, is it recomended?

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Building my first computer, it will be used for gaming and web surfing for the most part and i'm trying to find a good and stable mobo to pair up with the FX-62 CPU which i already own. I already picked out most of the components, but i left the mobo selection for last, since it's so hard to make the right choice. I looked at several motherboards during my search, including the 2 Asus nforce590 boards, but i'm thinking of getting this one. Stability is my #1 issue, overclocking is not a priority, will be doing only moderate overclocking. From what i hear Gigabyte makes reliable and quality motherboards, i was wondering if anyone here used this particular mobo and how did it work out. Also, does this model come recomended around here?

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I have been using this motherboard for a few months now and am very happy with it.

Very stable and it is fairly overclocking friendly, nice amount of extras and not too expensive.

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Thanx for the response! I'm actually planning to build a system similar to yours, i'm also getting an 8800 GTS (and possibly will add another for SLI at later time), Zalman 9500 AM2 and Seagate 250GB HD and WD Raptor 150GB. I also have a question for you, you are running 2 8800 in SLI, right? Will i have room for an X-FI or Audigy soundcard with 2 of those cards?

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Yes, you will, just.

With the second video card installed I have room to fit a RAID card in the bottom slot but it only clears the video card by about 5mm, just enough room and it also forces the bottom video card to pump more air out of the rear exhaust instead on circulating it around the case.

Be careful which case you select as I had trouble with fitting the second hard drive, it just touches against the bottom video card in my case.

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I appreciate the warning, though i don't think i will have any trouble fitting those cards in the case of my choice, i'm getting a Silverstone Temjin TJ09-BW full tower case, it is 23.8" long and will have plenty of room for everything i need.