cannot use internet pass through from AD desktop unless ad..

June 9, 2005 8:36:01 PM

I have some software that our medical students need to be able to sync. It is
written to sync data over the internet in what appears to be the same manner
that AvantGo does. The problem is that the desktop I am trying to set this up
on will not allow the internet pass through unless an administrator is logged
in.

The PC is on a AD network with policies on standard users to lock down the
machines. A sync will take place, just nothing that connects to the internet
via pass through.

Can anyone suggest a method either around this ro a policy I am missing that
will allow the user to perform a pass through and update their application
via the web?

Thanks a ton for the help.

More about : internet pass desktop

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:12:50 AM

"Deuce868" <Deuce868@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have some software that our medical students need to be able to sync. It
>is
> written to sync data over the internet in what appears to be the same
> manner
> that AvantGo does. The problem is that the desktop I am trying to set this
> up
> on will not allow the internet pass through unless an administrator is
> logged
> in.

Sounds like a netork policy setting on your Domain Controller.

You say, "will not allow the internet pass through unless an administrator
is logged" which leads me to believe the software DOES work properly but is
being restricted for certain user privliages by the DC.

You're going to have to talk to the network admin and ask him kindly for
help.

> The PC is on a AD network with policies on standard users to lock down the
> machines. A sync will take place, just nothing that connects to the
> internet
> via pass through.
>
> Can anyone suggest a method either around this ro a policy I am missing
> that
> will allow the user to perform a pass through and update their application
> via the web?
>
> Thanks a ton for the help.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:33:01 AM

"Chance Hopkins" wrote:

> Sounds like a netork policy setting on your Domain Controller.
>
> You say, "will not allow the internet pass through unless an administrator
> is logged" which leads me to believe the software DOES work properly but is
> being restricted for certain user privliages by the DC.
>
> You're going to have to talk to the network admin and ask him kindly for
> help.

Any idea what policy would block it? A limited user can surf the internet
use instant messenger programs, run outlook that connects to an exchange
server. There isn't really anything that has limited a user from using
internet resources in my current policy. I can't seem to find a specific
policy that I'm improperly locking down.
June 10, 2005 5:13:51 PM

> "Chance Hopkins" wrote:
>

>> Sounds like a netork policy setting on your Domain Controller.
>>
>> You say, "will not allow the internet pass through unless an
>> administrator
>> is logged" which leads me to believe the software DOES work properly but
>> is
>> being restricted for certain user privliages by the DC.
>>
>> You're going to have to talk to the network admin and ask him kindly for
>> help.
>>

> Any idea what policy would block it? A limited user can surf the internet
> use instant messenger programs, run outlook that connects to an exchange
> server. There isn't really anything that has limited a user from using
> internet resources in my current policy. I can't seem to find a specific
> policy that I'm improperly locking down.

It's really had to say. It sounds like a Software Restriction Policy and
personally I've never used them. (I will forego my usual rant about network
admins that justify their self worth by destroying the usability of the
internet)

Sounds like they have specific applications that are allowed to make network
requests. If that is the case, wcescomm.exe is the one you need to allow.
WCESMgr.exe also runs, but that doesn't handle the network traffic, the
first one I listed does.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:13:52 PM

"Chance Hopkins" wrote:

> It's really had to say. It sounds like a Software Restriction Policy and
> personally I've never used them. (I will forego my usual rant about network
> admins that justify their self worth by destroying the usability of the
> internet)
>
> Sounds like they have specific applications that are allowed to make network
> requests. If that is the case, wcescomm.exe is the one you need to allow.
> WCESMgr.exe also runs, but that doesn't handle the network traffic, the
> first one I listed does.

FYI: I am the network admin in this case. I have 50 users on this system
using all sorts of Internet based applicatoins and currently we don't have
any url filtering and such in place. This pocket pc problem is the only thing
that my users have not been able to do with the internet. I don't block any
programs except the usual control panel /configuration items. I do block user
installations so things like trying to install yahoo messenger and toolbars
fails, but I can't see why pocket pc passthrough would be related to this.

The main settings I limit are:
browser connection/security settings are removed and homepage set to intranet
control panel items are removed
various lock down on devices and password expiration/complexity settings
cleaning up the users start menu and block access to things like MS
messenger and windows updates

If you're interested in helping I can forward you a group policy results
file for the limited user I've been trying to get this to work with. rick at
ricksweb dot info

Thank you so much for attempting to help with this.
!