Help needed swapping servers

I had to rebuild a server on a LAN last week. It's a Windows 2000
server running AD. I put another Win2K server running AD in it's place
temporarily. Between setting up AD, the user accounts and un-joining
and rejoining the 10 client computers to the domain I spent over 6
hours.

I have to return the old server to service THIS weekend and I'm
looking for a quick and easy way to do this. Basically I have a
Windows 2000 server replacing another Windows 2000 server. What is the
easiest way to accomplish this without having to go back an rejoin all
the client workstations to the new (rebuilt) server?

Would NTBackup help? Will I have to do anything to the client
computers??

Any suggestions are welcomed!

-Fran-
1 answer Last reply
More about help needed swapping servers

    Add the new server to the domain as a member server, then run dcpromo.

    See how to add a second server to an existing domain:
    HOW TO: Promote and Demote Domain Controllers in Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238369

    Transfer the 5 FSMO roles and GC to the new server.

    See:

    HOW TO: View and Transfer FSMO Roles in the Graphical User Interface

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255690

    and:

    How to: Create or Move a Global Catalog in Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313994

    Install DNS on the new server and set the zone to AD Integrated. This will
    replicate the DNS info to the new server. To check see:

    How to Verify the Creation of SRV Records for a Domain Controller

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241515

    SRV Resource Records May Not Be Created on Domain Controller

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239897

    Use what ever your current method is (DHCP or manually) to point all AD
    clients to the new DNS server.

    You *may* have to run ipconfig/flushdns followed by ipconfig/registerdns on
    the clients to refresh the DNS cache.

    hth

    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    <<Fran>> wrote in message news:f14ej0hfcb39spo1mcam1ksai07n03rk3f@4ax.com...
    > I had to rebuild a server on a LAN last week. It's a Windows 2000
    > server running AD. I put another Win2K server running AD in it's place
    > temporarily. Between setting up AD, the user accounts and un-joining
    > and rejoining the 10 client computers to the domain I spent over 6
    > hours.
    >
    > I have to return the old server to service THIS weekend and I'm
    > looking for a quick and easy way to do this. Basically I have a
    > Windows 2000 server replacing another Windows 2000 server. What is the
    > easiest way to accomplish this without having to go back an rejoin all
    > the client workstations to the new (rebuilt) server?
    >
    > Would NTBackup help? Will I have to do anything to the client
    > computers??
    >
    > Any suggestions are welcomed!
    >
    > -Fran-

Windows 2000 Servers Windows