@bios Wiped my bios now it doesnt even start please help!

Viceras

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Hello folks,

I am flapping big time i was trying to update my bios and i did it using this utility @bios I hit restart and nothing happens its got no video nothing i dont know what to do i have no way of making a floppy bootdisk as this laptop doesnt have one the only thing i can use is a cd but i havent got a clue where to start.

Please help me if you can i'm feeling sorry for myself here! :evil:

pinoyako

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
that happened to me last week..I returned it to the shop and asked for a replacement :)

after that, ill never use @BIOS again..nor will i touch the BIOS unless necessary

CmdPT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
First off why update you're BIOS if its working properly?

Thats going to be hard to recover from and it would take alot of work.

Secondly have you tried taking off the battery and shorting the pins see if it resets?

If not try that first.

randomizer

Champion
Reset CMOS, it will likely work. You nearly always need to do this after a bios update, especially if its major. Its coz some of the settings and info in the old BIOS may not be compatible with the new and so your computer wont be able to boot. Check your motherboard manual to see how to reset the CMOS (BIOS).

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Reset CMOS as stated above. If that doesn't work, find an old PCI video card and see if you can boot. If you can boot and the BIOS isn't too corrupt then install a floppy and recover to the old BIOS. If this won't work remove your motherboard and use it as a Frisbee. Good luck.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Sound like his system is not that old so he may be able to warranty it for replacement. Make sure to tell the support that it just wouldn't boot up. Don't tell them you mess up the bios, or they will deny the warranty. Good Luck.

shamoo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
You broke rule number 1 with pc's bios
if its working and there are no problems don't mess with it

let me give an example of when not to update
if your computer is working and you havn't had problems with any of the functions of the bios then don't update it

when to update
you have a motherboard that every time the cmos is reset it forces you to configure the cpu even after you have reloaded the defaults

or
it sometimes fails to start the agp graphics card

in the case of the problem
you will need to find the maker of the motherboard they will have tools for you to update your bios
you might need to make a dos boot disk

if you cannot get the system to boot or do anything
then find the maker of the mother board contact there technical support and they will end up having to ship your bios chip back.

http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews/i845/Iwill_P4S/BIOS.jpg
thats what the chip looks like.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
OK.... Let me get this straight. You were flashing a bios on your desktop and you are now posting questions from your laptop. Am I right so far?

If so, the laptop has a cdrom... Is it a write-able cdrom? If so, what WAS your boot order prior to your flash? Do you see where I am going here... There's a possibility that you can make a bootable cdrom with the necessary bios flash stuff from your manufacturer's web site, and perform the re-flash that way.

TRENDING THREADS