one IDE channel, 2 different drives

slitherjef

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I should know the answer but I really don't but I never came across this before building my own system.

I have started to put together a new PC once again, slightly more up to date then my currant system. The new motherboard, an Asus M2N-SLI only has one IDE channel and several SATA connectors. I will be transfering my DVD burner from my currant PC to the new build as well, I am wanting to carry over the main hard drive, which is IDE only.

The question is, can the burner and HDD run on the same IDE channel (I suspect I will need to change jumpers and make the HDD master and burner the slave). A new 320 gig SATA will be the primary HDD for the new system.

Will this be any problems? The plan would be to eventualy copy most of the stuff I want to keep from the IDE HDD to the new SATA drive as well as off load it to a external USB2 drive.

Thanks

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Some may say yes. But you won't have problems.
If you're going to use the sata for the OS, the others (ide) must be 1Master and 1Slave no matter if it is the burner or the disk.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
It shouldn't make much difference as it is common practice to use two pieces of hardware on one IDE port.

If the IDE hard disk had your operating system on it then you might be concerned about it clashing with your new one. Personally I haven't used SATA in combination with IDE hard drives but from what I can gather if you install your OS on the SATA hard drive you will have to set the jumpers on it as the master and the IDE's to slave.

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
It shouldn't make much difference as it is common practice to use two pieces of hardware on one IDE port.

If the IDE hard disk had your operating system on it then you might be concerned about it clashing with your new one. Personally I haven't used SATA in combination with IDE hard drives but from what I can gather if you install your OS on the SATA hard drive you will have to set the jumpers on it as the master and the IDE's to slave.

You only slave/master because they're in the same cable. You need to have one master and other slave.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
I should know the answer but I really don't but I never came across this before building my own system.

I have started to put together a new PC once again, slightly more up to date then my currant system. The new motherboard, an Asus M2N-SLI only has one IDE channel and several SATA connectors. I will be transfering my DVD burner from my currant PC to the new build as well, I am wanting to carry over the main hard drive, which is IDE only.

The question is, can the burner and HDD run on the same IDE channel (I suspect I will need to change jumpers and make the HDD master and burner the slave). A new 320 gig SATA will be the primary HDD for the new system.

Will this be any problems? The plan would be to eventualy copy most of the stuff I want to keep from the IDE HDD to the new SATA drive as well as off load it to a external USB2 drive.

Thanks

One of my machines is also on an ASUS board and it has :

The OS on a SATA drive - primary boot device in BIOS
My old IDE drive as slave to a DVD burner on IDE1 and a CD burner on IDE0.

This setup arose due to incompatibilities between the CD and DVD burners on the same IDE channel and also both the burners performing better as master on their own channel.

I use the IDE drive as a scratch pad when editing movies and as a dumping ground for raw footage. My workspace and therefore burning source drive is the second partition of the SATA drive.

If the IDE hard disk had your operating system on it then you might be concerned about it clashing with your new one.

This machine I'm referring to was installed clean, without the old IDE drive attached. The moment it was connected the BIOS on the ASUS board, which seems to prioritise IDE over SATA, decided to make it the primary drive for boot as it still had the old OS on it at that time. I must say it took a few boots before I realised what was going wrong and changed the BIOS settings. That IDE drive has since had all the 'keep' data transferred to the SATA and has been wiped clean of all traces of a previous OS.

No problems since then.

Q