Adobe Acrobat 7.0

March 25, 2005 6:25:02 PM

I have been going in cirles with Adobe over this problem and am about at my
wits end. I upgraded Acrobat from 5 to 6, 6 crashes and all I can do is
ctrl/alt/del. So I thought I would down load the Full ver 7. This will not
even install I get the following message: "The specified program requires a
newer version of Windows. Errorcode: 1150.1323.01.2.2312 Please send the
error code to http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html This I have done, but
of course they never respond. I have posted to their (Adobe) forums and their
response is "use an older version" I am running XP home,SP2, have plenty of
space on my drive. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, gone throught the
registry deleted left over Adobe stuff and still cannot install this.

This is so frustrating, can any one help?

More about : adobe acrobat

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 9:36:30 PM

Propane Lady wrote:

>I have been going in cirles with Adobe over this problem and am about at my
>wits end. I upgraded Acrobat from 5 to 6, 6 crashes and all I can do is
>ctrl/alt/del. So I thought I would down load the Full ver 7. This will not
>even install I get the following message: "The specified program requires a
>newer version of Windows. Errorcode: 1150.1323.01.2.2312 Please send the
>error code to http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html This I have done, but
>of course they never respond. I have posted to their (Adobe) forums and their
>response is "use an older version" I am running XP home,SP2, have plenty of
>space on my drive. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, gone throught the
>registry deleted left over Adobe stuff and still cannot install this.
>
>This is so frustrating, can any one help?

=========================

I'm currently running Adobe Reader 7.0 under XP Home with all patches
installed and have no problem. When I first installed it there were
some problems and I just went into Uninstall Software and uninstalled
everything with Adobe associated with it, then rebooted and reinstalled
7.0 and I've had no problems since.

I can't say what your problem is, but I can tell you it should work.

Note that back at the version 5 level, Acrobat was the free Adobe
program used to look at PDF files. Somebody there got a brain storm and
decided to change names around. Now Adobe Reader 7.0 is what Acrobat
used to be. And now Acrobat is a program they charge you for that
allows you to also mark up PDF files.

(It's about as dumb as Microsoft naming multiple applications "Explorer"
which makes discussing them occasionally difficult.)

Good luck....

Bill
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 11:51:11 AM

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address) wrote:
> Propane Lady wrote:
>
>> I have been going in cirles with Adobe over this problem and am
>> about at my wits end. I upgraded Acrobat from 5 to 6, 6 crashes and
>> all I can do is ctrl/alt/del. So I thought I would down load the
>> Full ver 7. This will not even install I get the following message:
>> "The specified program requires a newer version of Windows.
>> Errorcode: 1150.1323.01.2.2312 Please send the error code to
>> http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html This I have done, but of
>> course they never respond. I have posted to their (Adobe) forums and
>> their response is "use an older version" I am running XP home,SP2,
>> have plenty of space on my drive. I have uninstalled, reinstalled,
>> gone throught the registry deleted left over Adobe stuff and still
>> cannot install this. This is so frustrating, can any one help?
>>
> =========================
>
> I'm currently running Adobe Reader 7.0 under XP Home with all patches
> installed and have no problem. When I first installed it there were
> some problems and I just went into Uninstall Software and uninstalled
> everything with Adobe associated with it, then rebooted and
> reinstalled 7.0 and I've had no problems since.
>
> I can't say what your problem is, but I can tell you it should work.
>
> Note that back at the version 5 level, Acrobat was the free Adobe
> program used to look at PDF files. Somebody there got a brain storm
> and decided to change names around. Now Adobe Reader 7.0 is what
> Acrobat used to be. And now Acrobat is a program they charge you for
> that allows you to also mark up PDF files.
>
> (It's about as dumb as Microsoft naming multiple applications
> "Explorer" which makes discussing them occasionally difficult.)
>
> Good luck....
>
> Bill

Bill,

I have read your post a dozen times and it *still* doesn't make one iota of
sense.

1) "Note that back at the version 5 level, Acrobat was the free Adobe
program used to look at PDF files."

No it wasn't. Adobe Acrobat is the PDF creation software, costing around
£250, and it has been since, oh, I don't know, version 1, if memory serves.
It might have been used for merely viewing files before then, I don't know;
I can't recall back that far. Acrobat *READER* was the PDF viewer - it still
is. Adobe just decided to change the name.

2) " And now Acrobat is a program they charge you for that allows you to
also mark up PDF files."

Wrong again. See above. And I don't know what you mean by "mark up PDF
files". What does "mark up" mean? It's obvious you've never used Acrobat in
your life. Version 7 does much more than merely create PDFs - it creates
forms, prepares files for commercial printing... you really should try it
sometime...

3) It's about as dumb as Microsoft naming multiple applications
"Explorer" which makes discussing them occasionally difficult"

Another nonsensical remark. You mean "IE" and "WE" nothing "dumb" about that
at all - it's obvious by the context which one someone is talking about.

Do your research before posting - otherwise you just look like a complete
tit (OK, more of a complete tit).

March 26, 2005 2:05:13 PM

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

>....Adobe just decided to change the name....

Exactly what I said. I've never sent any money at all to Adobe, yet
originally I had "Acrobat" installed on my machine to read documents.
When I went to upgrade it there were endless problems. Turned out that
"Acrobat" isn't what I wanted to do the same function anymore -- now
it's called "Reader". Thank you for proving my statement that Adobe did
indeed change the name of the base product.

>2) " And now Acrobat is a program they charge you for that allows you to
>also mark up PDF files."
>
>Wrong again. See above. And I don't know what you mean by "mark up PDF
>files".

And how do you know I'm wrong if you don't know what "mark up" means?

People with document experience, at least in the US, would recognize
that to mark up a document is to change it, to edit it, to create a new
document while retaining elements of the original.

And yes, Acrobat does a lot of additional stuff and nowhere did I say it
did not. I just didn't feel compelled to duplicate the entire Adobe
sales pitch for it. I just wanted to point out that the new Acrobat
does more than many people were used to thinking the old Acrobat (now
Reader) did. And it's a separate program they charge you for now. What
part of that was inaccurate?

>3) It's about as dumb as Microsoft naming multiple applications
>"Explorer" which makes discussing them occasionally difficult"
>
>Another nonsensical remark. You mean "IE" and "WE" nothing "dumb" about that
>at all - it's obvious by the context which one someone is talking about.

I can only say that I've seen that exact confusion on this very board.
Someone assisting a person will advise them to use "Explorer" for
something and the recipient of the help does not always get it right.
Although I'm greatly impressed with the depth of your knowledge, you
should understand that people asking for help here frequently are not
computer geniuses -- or they wouldn't be asking for help here in the
first place. Right?

Bill
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 2:05:14 PM

Bill,

Thanks for the info that you gave me and I finally got it to work.

Pay no attention to "Miss Tick" I have seen her posts before and she is more
interested in nit picking than actually helping.

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from addre" wrote:

> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>
> >....Adobe just decided to change the name....
> >

> Exactly what I said. I've never sent any money at all to Adobe, yet
> originally I had "Acrobat" installed on my machine to read documents.
> When I went to upgrade it there were endless problems. Turned out that
> "Acrobat" isn't what I wanted to do the same function anymore -- now
> it's called "Reader". Thank you for proving my statement that Adobe did
> indeed change the name of the base product.
>
> >2) " And now Acrobat is a program they charge you for that allows you to
> >also mark up PDF files."
> >
> >Wrong again. See above. And I don't know what you mean by "mark up PDF
> >files".
> >
> And how do you know I'm wrong if you don't know what "mark up" means?
>
> People with document experience, at least in the US, would recognize
> that to mark up a document is to change it, to edit it, to create a new
> document while retaining elements of the original.
>
> And yes, Acrobat does a lot of additional stuff and nowhere did I say it
> did not. I just didn't feel compelled to duplicate the entire Adobe
> sales pitch for it. I just wanted to point out that the new Acrobat
> does more than many people were used to thinking the old Acrobat (now
> Reader) did. And it's a separate program they charge you for now. What
> part of that was inaccurate?
>
> >3) It's about as dumb as Microsoft naming multiple applications
> >"Explorer" which makes discussing them occasionally difficult"
> >
> >Another nonsensical remark. You mean "IE" and "WE" nothing "dumb" about that
> >at all - it's obvious by the context which one someone is talking about.
> >

> I can only say that I've seen that exact confusion on this very board.
> Someone assisting a person will advise them to use "Explorer" for
> something and the recipient of the help does not always get it right.
> Although I'm greatly impressed with the depth of your knowledge, you
> should understand that people asking for help here frequently are not
> computer geniuses -- or they wouldn't be asking for help here in the
> first place. Right?
>
> Bill

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 2:30:03 PM

The free Adobe software was the Adobe reader for viewing portable document
format files. Adobe Acrobat is the portable document format creator and
editor and has not been free.

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
wrote in message news:uJR7d2hMFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>
>>....Adobe just decided to change the name....
>>
> Exactly what I said. I've never sent any money at all to Adobe, yet
> originally I had "Acrobat" installed on my machine to read documents.
> When I went to upgrade it there were endless problems. Turned out that
> "Acrobat" isn't what I wanted to do the same function anymore -- now it's
> called "Reader". Thank you for proving my statement that Adobe did indeed
> change the name of the base product.
>
>>2) " And now Acrobat is a program they charge you for that allows you
>>to also mark up PDF files."
>>
>>Wrong again. See above. And I don't know what you mean by "mark up PDF
>>files".
> And how do you know I'm wrong if you don't know what "mark up" means?
>
> People with document experience, at least in the US, would recognize that
> to mark up a document is to change it, to edit it, to create a new
> document while retaining elements of the original.
>
> And yes, Acrobat does a lot of additional stuff and nowhere did I say it
> did not. I just didn't feel compelled to duplicate the entire Adobe sales
> pitch for it. I just wanted to point out that the new Acrobat does more
> than many people were used to thinking the old Acrobat (now Reader) did.
> And it's a separate program they charge you for now. What part of that
> was inaccurate?
>
>>3) It's about as dumb as Microsoft naming multiple applications
>>"Explorer" which makes discussing them occasionally difficult"
>>
>>Another nonsensical remark. You mean "IE" and "WE" nothing "dumb" about
>>that at all - it's obvious by the context which one someone is talking
>>about.
>>
> I can only say that I've seen that exact confusion on this very board.
> Someone assisting a person will advise them to use "Explorer" for
> something and the recipient of the help does not always get it right.
> Although I'm greatly impressed with the depth of your knowledge, you
> should understand that people asking for help here frequently are not
> computer geniuses -- or they wouldn't be asking for help here in the first
> place. Right?
>
> Bill
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 2:58:37 PM

Propane Lady wrote:

>Bill,
>
>Thanks for the info that you gave me and I finally got it to work.

Great! I'm glad that you were able to surmount your difficulties.

Bill
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 10:41:39 PM

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address) wrote:
> Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
>
>> ....Adobe just decided to change the name....
>>

> Exactly what I said. I've never sent any money at all to Adobe, yet
> originally I had "Acrobat" installed on my machine to read documents.

If, indeed it was Acrobat, and not Acrobat *Reader* - then you're a thief.
Adobe *Acrobat* has *NEVER* been free. *EVER*. I know because I have bought
every version since version 1. Yes, that's right, *bought*. You know, with
money.

> When I went to upgrade it there were endless problems. Turned out
> that "Acrobat" isn't what I wanted to do the same function anymore --
> now it's called "Reader". Thank you for proving my statement that
> Adobe did indeed change the name of the base product.

Yes, from Acrobat *READER* to Adobe *READER*. You didn't read a word I
wrote - which makes you a candidate for March's Moron of the Month Award.

*ACROBAT* has never been free - if you don't believe me, maybe you'd care to
take a look at the Adobe website...

<rest of nonsensical drivel snipped>