Cloning systems with Norton Ghost

I have made an image of a new Windows XP Professional system that has been
fully loaded with my client's standard set of software. I am planning to
restore the image to another new computer and then run NEWSID to change the
SID and name of the new computer. However, the first computer has already
been joined to the Windows 2000 domain. Will I have a problem logging on the
the domain using this image on another computer? If so, what can I do fix it?
4 answers Last reply
More about cloning systems norton ghost

    I'm not familiar with this NEWSID utility that you mention. However, when
    cloning a Win2K/XP system you are well-advised to use SYSPREP before cloning
    your source system. SYSPREP will always generate a new SID on the target
    computer(s) unless you use the NOSIDGEN option, so duplicate SIDs should
    not be an issue. Note, you will probably have to recreate the computer
    account in AD for both the source computer and the target computer(s) after
    running SYSPREP.

    Symantec recommends that you use SYSPREP when preparing your system for
    cloning. There are literally tons of information on SYSPREP on the Net. You
    can find a copy of SYSPREP on the XP CD in the deploy.cab file. You can
    also download a copy from Microsoft's website.

    "Orlando Bob" <Orlando Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have made an image of a new Windows XP Professional system that has been
    > fully loaded with my client's standard set of software. I am planning to
    > restore the image to another new computer and then run NEWSID to change
    the
    > SID and name of the new computer. However, the first computer has
    already
    > been joined to the Windows 2000 domain. Will I have a problem logging on
    the
    > the domain using this image on another computer? If so, what can I do fix
    it?

    We should always clone the machine *before* joining the machine into the
    domain. What you can do to remedy is restoring the backup the image (if the
    original PC has been erased) and remove the machine from domain. Redo the
    image cloning process. That's so bad but it's safe.
    --
    Lawrence Tse
    MCT, MCSE:Messaging, MCSA:Messaging, MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE+Internet, MCP+Site
    "Orlando Bob" <Orlando Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have made an image of a new Windows XP Professional system that has been
    > fully loaded with my client's standard set of software. I am planning to
    > restore the image to another new computer and then run NEWSID to change
    the
    > SID and name of the new computer. However, the first computer has
    already
    > been joined to the Windows 2000 domain. Will I have a problem logging on
    the
    > the domain using this image on another computer? If so, what can I do fix
    it?

    it's a simple process:
    1. leave the computer with the master image turned off
    2. boot the cloned pc, log into the local computer, not the domain.
    3. change computer to workgroup and the name you want it to be
    4. reboot, run newsid (don't let newsid change pc name, it has
    issues)...then reboot again
    5. add the system to the domain, reboot once more
    6. voila, u're finished

    "Orlando Bob" wrote:

    > I have made an image of a new Windows XP Professional system that has been
    > fully loaded with my client's standard set of software. I am planning to
    > restore the image to another new computer and then run NEWSID to change the
    > SID and name of the new computer. However, the first computer has already
    > been joined to the Windows 2000 domain. Will I have a problem logging on the
    > the domain using this image on another computer? If so, what can I do fix it?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    As a addon to Conrad's post, you should also check out Symantec' site. They have documented the steps required when using Sysprep and Ghost.

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/d87bb6ce0bde286d88256d6a00452701/dce97bd94cf42e0088256c2f007dd7db?
    OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Ghost&ver=9.0&src=sg&pcode=ghost&svy=&csm=no

    I hope this helps.

    Craig
    Microsoft Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

    See the Windows NT Homepage at
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of Microsoft.

Computers Systems Windows