The operating system image you selected does not contain t..

Hi to all experts.

Please excuse this new RIS beginner.
We are a small company running windows 2000 Servers with 100 windows Xp and
2000 Compaq Desktop computer. I normally use Symantec Ghost for all our
deployments. I thought I may give RIS a go.

1. I created a basic windows 2000 flat images with answer files on my RIS
Server. Added folder $oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC under I386 folder with intel
network pro 100 /1000 driver. Tested and is all OK.

2. I installed Sp2, Office Xp and WinZip applications. Then I ran the
following command line
\\RISServer\reminst\Admin\i386\riprep.exe
I called the image Windows2000.pro, the procedure went smoothly, at the end
it said is finish successfully.

3. Here is my problem

I reboot the same computer press F12 . From the login screen I enter all the
necessary detail eg. user login and Domain etc.
I selected the image Windows2000.pro
press OK. the windows install screen started and get to the stage it said
Setup is loading files (machine identification Data)... it stop for about a
min then it said

The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating system
image. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

So I go back to the RIS Server and added folder $oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC under
I386 folder with Intel network pro 100 /1000 driver in the windows2000.pro
image.

then on the command line I typed

net stop binlsvc
net start binlsvc

I went back to the same computer, reboot and press F12 . from the login
screen I enter all the necessary detail eg. user login and Domain etc.
I selected the image Windows2000.pro
press OK. The windows install screen started and get to the stage it said
Setup is loading files (machine identification Data)... it stop for about a
min then it said

The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating system
image. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.

I have tried updating the Bios
Moved the $oem$ folder to the same level as I386 folder
http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20280/20280.html
and used different network driver then run the command line

net stop binlsvc
net start binlsvc

I am stuck Please help

Thank you

Mr555

Hi Mr 555, welcome to the group.

It sounds like you are very close to getting it all working, perhaps it is
the drivers you are using. You also did not mention that you had edited the
*.sif file in your cd-based image and ripprep image.

I have a very granular "how-to" located on my site along with drivers for
the Intel pro 100 which work for 2000 and xp.

http://www.mvps.org/serverstuff

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"Mr555" <
> Hi to all experts.
>
> Please excuse this new RIS beginner.
> We are a small company running windows 2000 Servers with 100 windows Xp
> and
> 2000 Compaq Desktop computer. I normally use Symantec Ghost for all our
> deployments. I thought I may give RIS a go.
>
> 1. I created a basic windows 2000 flat images with answer files on my RIS
> Server. Added folder $oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC under I386 folder with intel
> network pro 100 /1000 driver. Tested and is all OK.
>
> 2. I installed Sp2, Office Xp and WinZip applications. Then I ran the
> following command line
> \\RISServer\reminst\Admin\i386\riprep.exe
> I called the image Windows2000.pro, the procedure went smoothly, at the
> end
> it said is finish successfully.
>
> 3. Here is my problem
>
> I reboot the same computer press F12 . From the login screen I enter all
> the
> necessary detail eg. user login and Domain etc.
> I selected the image Windows2000.pro
> press OK. the windows install screen started and get to the stage it said
> Setup is loading files (machine identification Data)... it stop for about
> min then it said
>
> The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
> drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating
> system
> image. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.
>
> Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.
>
> So I go back to the RIS Server and added folder $oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC under
> I386 folder with Intel network pro 100 /1000 driver in the windows2000.pro
> image.
>
> then on the command line I typed
>
> net stop binlsvc
> net start binlsvc
>
> I went back to the same computer, reboot and press F12 . from the login
> screen I enter all the necessary detail eg. user login and Domain etc.
> I selected the image Windows2000.pro
> press OK. The windows install screen started and get to the stage it said
> Setup is loading files (machine identification Data)... it stop for about
> min then it said
>
> The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
> drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating
> system
> image. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.
>
> I have tried updating the Bios
> Moved the $oem$ folder to the same level as I386 folder
> http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20280/20280.html
> and used different network driver then run the command line
>
> net stop binlsvc
> net start binlsvc
>

> I am stuck Please help
>
> Thank you
>
> Mr555

Hi NIC Student

I did modified the riprep.sif file , The driver is correct as I used on the
previous RIS installtion on the same machine.

Thanks

[Unattended]
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPreinstall=yes
OemPnpDriversPath=$oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC
NoWaitAfterTextMode = 0
FileSystem = LeaveAlone
ExtendOEMPartition = 0
ConfirmHardware = no
NtUpgrade=no
Win31Upgrade=no
TargetPath = \WINNT
OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade=no
OemSkipEula=yes
InstallFilesPath="\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%"

"Mr555" wrote:

> Hi to all experts.
>
> Please excuse this new RIS beginner.
> We are a small company running windows 2000 Servers with 100 windows Xp and
> 2000 Compaq Desktop computer. I normally use Symantec Ghost for all our
> deployments. I thought I may give RIS a go.
>
> 1. I created a basic windows 2000 flat images with answer files on my RIS
> Server. Added folder $oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC under I386 folder with intel
> network pro 100 /1000 driver. Tested and is all OK.
>
> 2. I installed Sp2, Office Xp and WinZip applications. Then I ran the
> following command line
> \\RISServer\reminst\Admin\i386\riprep.exe
> I called the image Windows2000.pro, the procedure went smoothly, at the end
> it said is finish successfully.
>
> 3. Here is my problem
>
> I reboot the same computer press F12 . From the login screen I enter all the
> necessary detail eg. user login and Domain etc.
> I selected the image Windows2000.pro
> press OK. the windows install screen started and get to the stage it said
> Setup is loading files (machine identification Data)... it stop for about a
> min then it said
>
> The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
> drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating system
> image. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.
>
> Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.
>
> So I go back to the RIS Server and added folder $oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC under
> I386 folder with Intel network pro 100 /1000 driver in the windows2000.pro
> image.
>
> then on the command line I typed
>
> net stop binlsvc
> net start binlsvc
>
> I went back to the same computer, reboot and press F12 . from the login
> screen I enter all the necessary detail eg. user login and Domain etc.
> I selected the image Windows2000.pro
> press OK. The windows install screen started and get to the stage it said
> Setup is loading files (machine identification Data)... it stop for about a
> min then it said
>
> The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
> drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating system
> image. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.
>
> I have tried updating the Bios
> Moved the $oem$ folder to the same level as I386 folder
> http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20280/20280.html
> and used different network driver then run the command line
>
> net stop binlsvc
> net start binlsvc
>

> I am stuck Please help
>
> Thank you
>
> Mr555

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:44:07 -0800, "Mr555"
<Mr555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
>drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating system
>image. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.

You must place the driver files (.sys and .inf) directly into the i386
folder as well before you restart the BINL service.

Sometimes, the INF file need a modification to work with RIS. I have
experienced this wih a Broadcom adapter in an Acer laptop.

Notice point 1 in these articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;246184
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315279

--
RoRo

Are you still stuck on this issue, Mr555?

Did you also modify the *.sif in the cd-based image or just the RIPPREP
image? Edit the cd-based one also.

Your SIF has an error in the path, try this (include the quote marks):

Oempnpdriverspath = "\Drivers\nic\"

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"Mr555"
> [...]
>> net start binlsvc
>>
>> I went back to the same computer, reboot and press F12 . from the login
>> screen I enter all the necessary detail eg. user login and Domain etc.
>> I selected the image Windows2000.pro
>> press OK. The windows install screen started and get to the stage it said
>> Setup is loading files (machine identification Data)... it stop for about
>> min then it said
>>
>> The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
>> drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating
>> system
>> image. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.
>>
>> I have tried updating the Bios
>> Moved the $oem$ folder to the same level as I386 folder
>> http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20280/20280.html
>> and used different network driver then run the command line

I am having a similar problem as the original poster here. My RIS Server is
Server 2003. I am trying to deploy a base install of 2000 server using RIS.
I am getting the same error as the original poster, though my network adapter
is an Intel 1000 ct. I have followed the instructions on adding 3rd party
network adapter drivers to no avail...any suggestions?? Does your
instructions on your website apply to an Intel 1000 as well as the 100??

"NIC Student" wrote:

> [...]
> > net start binlsvc
> >
> > I went back to the same computer, reboot and press F12 . from the login
> > screen I enter all the necessary detail eg. user login and Domain etc.
> > I selected the image Windows2000.pro
> > press OK. The windows install screen started and get to the stage it said
> > Setup is loading files (machine identification Data)... it stop for about
> > min then it said
> >
> > The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
> > drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating
> > system
> > image. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.
> >
> > I have tried updating the Bios
> > Moved the $oem$ folder to the same level as I386 folder
> > http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20280/20280.html
> > and used different network driver then run the command line

Hi Mark.

You could try them to see if your RIS makes it through the text/dos mode of
setup. After that, Windows should find your drivers for the 1000ct during
the gui setup. If Windows can't find them, then you should visit Intel's
site to find the latest ones.

I wish I had a 1000ct to test for you. Please let me know if you find the
correct drivers or if the web site drivers work. I'll add the drivers to
the site if you'll keep me updated.

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"MarkGI"
> [...]
>> > screen I enter all the necessary detail eg. user login and Domain etc.
>> > I selected the image Windows2000.pro
>> > press OK. The windows install screen started and get to the stage it
>> > said
>> > Setup is loading files (machine identification Data)... it stop for
>> > about
>> > min then it said
>> >
>> > The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
>> > drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating
>> > system
>> > image. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.
>> >
>> > I have tried updating the Bios
>> > Moved the $oem$ folder to the same level as I386 folder
>> > http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20280/20280.html
>> > and used different network driver then run the command line

I've got a similar problem. I managed to get the CD based image (win2k
SP3) working with the third party drivers. When I try to do install
the riprep based image, it fails. Same $oem$ directory, nic files, and
modified the riprep.sif file to look at the \drivers\nic path (in
$oem$). I have also followed Intel's recommendations and renamed the
oem#.inf file(s) in the riprep image inf directory.

What am I missing?

The riprep image is win2k SP3 while the RIS server is Windows 2003
Server.

Mark: I don't know which part (did them all at once) got my CD based
image working, but I put the Intel drivers (all files except
readme.txt) in the following locations:
....\Images\CDbasedImage\
....\Images\CDbasedImage\$oem$\$1\Drivers\nic
....\Images\CDbasedImage\i386 (renamed present files to .OLD)
and I have a modified risstndrd.sif: OemPreinstall = yes
OemPnPDriversPath = Drivers\nic

Does anyone know the steps the process takes when you select the riprep
image? I would think that the CD based image is used for the initial
driver load (right after the "Machine Identification Data" stage), is
this not the case?

Thanks,

Ben
NIC Student wrote:
> Hi Mark.
>
> You could try them to see if your RIS makes it through the text/dos
mode of
> setup. After that, Windows should find your drivers for the 1000ct
during
> the gui setup. If Windows can't find them, then you should visit
Intel's
> site to find the latest ones.
>
> I wish I had a 1000ct to test for you. Please let me know if you
find the
> correct drivers or if the web site drivers work. I'll add the
drivers to
> the site if you'll keep me updated.
>
> --
> Scott Baldridge
> Windows Server MVP, MCSE
>

> "MarkGI"
> >I am having a similar problem as the original poster here. My RIS
Server
> >is
> > Server 2003. I am trying to deploy a base install of 2000 server
using
> > RIS.
> > I am getting the same error as the original poster, though my
network
> > adapter
> > is an Intel 1000 ct. I have followed the instructions on adding
3rd party
> > network adapter drivers to no avail...any suggestions?? Does your
> > instructions on your website apply to an Intel 1000 as well as the
100??

> > "NIC Student" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Mr 555, welcome to the group.
> >>
> >> It sounds like you are very close to getting it all working,
perhaps it
> >> is
> >> the drivers you are using. You also did not mention that you had
edited
> >> the
> >> *.sif file in your cd-based image and ripprep image.
> >>
> >> I have a very granular "how-to" located on my site along with
drivers for
> >> the Intel pro 100 which work for 2000 and xp.
> >>
> >> http://www.mvps.org/serverstuff
> >>
> >> --
> >> Scott Baldridge
> >> Windows Server MVP, MCSE
> >>

> >> "Mr555" <

administrator.

$oem$\$1\Drivers\NIC

Domain etc.

administrator.

http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20280/20280.html

I got my riprep working by using a 3com 3c905c-txm card, and booting
from RIS boot floppy. I don't know why that 3com card worked, the
Intel drivers were in the same locations as the 3com drivers, and the
3com card was not initially installed when the riprep image was taken.

Before the 3com worked, my next step was to install the binlsvc.exe
update mentioned in article 823658.

schenc

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008

> [...]

> net start binlsvc
>
> I went back to the same computer, reboot and press F12 . from the login
> screen I enter all the necessary detail eg. user login and Domain etc.
> I selected the image Windows2000.pro
> press OK. The windows install screen started and get to the stage it said
> Setup is loading files (machine identification Data)... it stop for about
> min then it said
>
> The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
> drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating
> system
> image. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.
>
> I have tried updating the Bios
> Moved the $oem$ folder to the same level as I386 folder
> http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20280/20280.html
> and used different network driver then run the command line

workaround voor riprep images

Als je een riprep images gemaakt heb ,en je krijgt deze melding:

Error Message: The Operating System Image You Selected Does Not Contain the Necessary Drivers for Your Network Adapter.
Try Selecting a Different Operating System Image.
If the Problem Persists, Contact Your System Administrator.

Kan je dit snel oplossen,door van een bestaande ris image de inhoud van de I386 Directory over te kopieren naar de I386 directory van de riprep image.
Met uitzondering van de template directory deze behoud je van de riprep image.
Plaats nu in de root van de I386 dirctory de driver van de netwerkkaart inf,sys,cat.
Herstart de services en je riprep imge word gedeployed.

Noot het is geen nette manier maar je behoefd voordeze imge niet het hele werk opnieuw te doen.
In het vervolg oud je aan de juiste stappen ,hoe maak ik en riprep image

schenc

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
workaround voor riprep images

Als je een riprep image gemaakt heb ,en je krijgt deze melding:

Error Message: The Operating System Image You Selected Does Not Contain the Necessary Drivers for Your Network Adapter.
Try Selecting a Different Operating System Image.
If the Problem Persists, Contact Your System Administrator.

Kan je dit snel oplossen,door van een bestaande ris image de inhoud van de I386 Directory over te kopieren naar de I386 directory van de riprep image.
Met uitzondering van de template directory deze behoud je van de riprep image.
Plaats nu in de root van de I386 dirctory de driver van de netwerkkaart inf,sys,cat.
Herstart de services en je riprep image word gedeployed.

Noot het is geen nette manier maar je behoefd voordeze image niet het hele werk opnieuw te doen.
In het vervolg houd je aan de juiste stappen ,hoe maak ik en riprep image