TFTP + RIS + IP Telephony

Hi,this may not be the ideal group to post this question to but I thought it
may be a good place to start.I'm currently setting up a RIS server for our
LAN and have run into a problem,we use IP telephones which need a TFTP server
to provide them with their settings.I need to be able to modify the TFTPD
that comes with Ris,Can anyone give me any suggestions?
Or is there a way to disable the tftp part of RIS and have it use a 3rd
party TFTP server?

Any help is appreciated,
thanks,
5 answers Last reply
More about tftp telephony

    Hi Tim,

    What an interesting problem. RIS needs TFTP and I don't think you can get
    around that part... Have you considered having RIS only service machines
    that are prestaged? That way RIS will only reply to the machines with the
    prestaged GUID.

    --
    Scott Baldridge
    Windows Server MVP, MCSE

    "Tim"
    > Hi,this may not be the ideal group to post this question to but I thought
    > it
    > may be a good place to start.I'm currently setting up a RIS server for our
    > LAN and have run into a problem,we use IP telephones which need a TFTP
    > server
    > to provide them with their settings.I need to be able to modify the TFTPD
    > that comes with Ris,Can anyone give me any suggestions?
    > Or is there a way to disable the tftp part of RIS and have it use a 3rd
    > party TFTP server?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated,
    > thanks,

    Hi Scott,
    thanks for your reply and your suggestion.
    Not sure how thats going to help me,the Phones still need to be able to
    access their config files via TFTP.
    Unless I just dump the config files into the root of the ris directory and
    hope for the best,

    Tim

    "NIC Student" wrote:

    > Hi Tim,
    >
    > What an interesting problem. RIS needs TFTP and I don't think you can get
    > around that part... Have you considered having RIS only service machines
    > that are prestaged? That way RIS will only reply to the machines with the
    > prestaged GUID.
    >
    > --
    > Scott Baldridge
    > Windows Server MVP, MCSE
    >

    > "Tim"
    > > Hi,this may not be the ideal group to post this question to but I thought
    > > it
    > > may be a good place to start.I'm currently setting up a RIS server for our
    > > LAN and have run into a problem,we use IP telephones which need a TFTP
    > > server
    > > to provide them with their settings.I need to be able to modify the TFTPD
    > > that comes with Ris,Can anyone give me any suggestions?
    > > Or is there a way to disable the tftp part of RIS and have it use a 3rd
    > > party TFTP server?
    > >
    > > Any help is appreciated,
    > > thanks,

    Cisco has a tftp server you can use, as do many other 3rd parties. Just
    don't install it on the RIS server.

    Here is a link get started, never tried it myself:

    http://www.networkingfiles.com/Network/ciscotftp.htm

    --
    Scott Baldridge
    Windows Server MVP, MCSE

    "Tim" <
    > Hi Scott,
    > thanks for your reply and your suggestion.
    > Not sure how thats going to help me,the Phones still need to be able to
    > access their config files via TFTP.
    > Unless I just dump the config files into the root of the ris directory and
    > hope for the best,
    >
    > Tim
    >
    > "NIC Student" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Tim,
    >>
    >> What an interesting problem. RIS needs TFTP and I don't think you can
    >> get
    >> around that part... Have you considered having RIS only service machines
    >> that are prestaged? That way RIS will only reply to the machines with
    >> the
    >> prestaged GUID.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Scott Baldridge
    >> Windows Server MVP, MCSE
    >>

    >> "Tim"
    >> > Hi,this may not be the ideal group to post this question to but I
    >> > thought
    >> > it
    >> > may be a good place to start.I'm currently setting up a RIS server for
    >> > our
    >> > LAN and have run into a problem,we use IP telephones which need a TFTP
    >> > server
    >> > to provide them with their settings.I need to be able to modify the
    >> > TFTPD
    >> > that comes with Ris,Can anyone give me any suggestions?
    >> > Or is there a way to disable the tftp part of RIS and have it use a 3rd
    >> > party TFTP server?
    >> >
    >> > Any help is appreciated,
    >> > thanks,

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    The Reminst shared on your RIS server is the root of the TFTP server on your
    Windows box. Just copy the config files that your IP phones need to this
    location and let your Windows TFTP server server the IP phones. We have done
    this with Cisco 7960s running SIP.

    "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,this may not be the ideal group to post this question to but I thought
    > it
    > may be a good place to start.I'm currently setting up a RIS server for our
    > LAN and have run into a problem,we use IP telephones which need a TFTP
    > server
    > to provide them with their settings.I need to be able to modify the TFTPD
    > that comes with Ris,Can anyone give me any suggestions?
    > Or is there a way to disable the tftp part of RIS and have it use a 3rd
    > party TFTP server?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated,
    > thanks,

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks Brendon,

    That worked perfectly,

    Tim

    "Brendon" wrote:

    > The Reminst shared on your RIS server is the root of the TFTP server on your
    > Windows box. Just copy the config files that your IP phones need to this
    > location and let your Windows TFTP server server the IP phones. We have done
    > this with Cisco 7960s running SIP.
    >

    > "Tim" <Tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,this may not be the ideal group to post this question to but I thought
    > > it
    > > may be a good place to start.I'm currently setting up a RIS server for our
    > > LAN and have run into a problem,we use IP telephones which need a TFTP
    > > server
    > > to provide them with their settings.I need to be able to modify the TFTPD
    > > that comes with Ris,Can anyone give me any suggestions?
    > > Or is there a way to disable the tftp part of RIS and have it use a 3rd
    > > party TFTP server?
    > >
    > > Any help is appreciated,
    > > thanks,

Telephony Servers IP Windows