Scripts to crawl all computer registries on the network

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

I've been looking for script samples or tools that would get the list
of computers on the network in the domain/workgroup, connect to each
machine and get the contents of a specific registry path, building an
array of computer->reg pair.

This would be useful in getting a list of machines that have a
specific software installed, have ram amount below a threshold, have
3com NICs etc. This is assuming all machines are running the same OS
and the script is run as administrator.

I've been able to get the registry contents of one specific computer
using vbscript and activestate perl, but how do you get a list of all
machines in a domain?

Even better, is there a shareware (or otherwise) application that can
do these things?
7 answers Last reply
More about scripts crawl computer registries network

    You can try Hyena. This is the only tool I know of that comes close to
    what you might be looking for.

    http://www.systemtools.com/hyena/server.htm

    I hope this helps.

    **
    Craig
    Microsoft Setup Team

    Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

    Travel to the Windows 2003 Homepage @
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/default.mspx

    Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage @
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

    See the Windows NT Homepage @
    http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

    NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
    others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
    more timely response. Thank you!

    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
    implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
    merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

    The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
    not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
    Microsoft.
    ***
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi,

    To get the computer list I use ADSI. To check the Reg, I use StdRegProv.

    It's also handy if you need to change a key on all machines at once. I
    use JScript as the language. VB is utterly horrible, and Perl is
    (unfortunately) not built into Windows.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    On 26 Nov 2004 06:58:21 -0800, ghazan.haider@gmail.com (Ghazan Haider) wrote:

    >I've been looking for script samples or tools that would get the list
    >of computers on the network in the domain/workgroup, connect to each
    >machine and get the contents of a specific registry path, building an
    >array of computer->reg pair.
    >
    >This would be useful in getting a list of machines that have a
    >specific software installed, have ram amount below a threshold, have
    >3com NICs etc. This is assuming all machines are running the same OS
    >and the script is run as administrator.
    >
    >I've been able to get the registry contents of one specific computer
    >using vbscript and activestate perl, but how do you get a list of all
    >machines in a domain?
    >
    >Even better, is there a shareware (or otherwise) application that can
    >do these things?

    See tip 4195 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
    See tips 5850, 8614, 8278

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows: General MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Jerold,

    > See tip 4195

    It requires NetDom by the looks of it, and hails from the stone age!

    > in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

    That site gets a slap on the wrist for not being in compliance with
    simple web standards. In Mozilla the left-hand menus don't even work and
    the text in the banner can't be read.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks everyone for your help. We did it manually, but I'll keep the
    scripts for future needs, hopefully I could build an application and
    release it GPL.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Ghazan Haider wrote:

    > Thanks everyone for your help. We did it manually, but I'll keep the
    > scripts for future needs, hopefully I could build an application and
    > release it GPL.

    It's not really difficult enough to warrant a GPL! It's just a few calls
    to ADSI and then StdRegProv. It's probably one of the most useful
    scripts I've ever created, and saves me hours in time. I can't really
    post the whole thing here, as it's specific to my network and uses a lot
    of custom libraries, and also ignores some features I don't need, but
    which you may!

    You'll find examples in the ADSI and WMI groups all the time. If there's
    any specific problem you have with the above I can answer it almost
    immediately.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    > You can try Hyena. This is the only tool I know of that comes close to
    > what you might be looking for.
    >
    > http://www.systemtools.com/hyena/server.htm
    >
    > I hope this helps.

    > **
    > Craig
    > Microsoft Setup Team

    Hyena's exporting component, Exporter Pro, should be able to do this.
    With Exporter Pro, you create a registry template that contains the
    registry keys and values that you want to read, and then specify
    either a list of computers or domain (ie all computers) to run it
    against. Its also integrated with Hyena so that you can
    display/filter the computer's in Hyena's GUI, then just select the
    machines that you want to run your export against.

    If you want to use WMI, both Hyena and Exporter Pro can run WMI
    queries as well, which can get you a lot of information. Hyena can
    run WMI queries on multiple computers too, so you can interactively
    query multiple computers and if the results are writable, you can
    change them too on multiple computers.

    We also offer free support.

    Kevin Stanush
    SystemTools Software Inc.
    http://www.systemtools.com
    Home of 'Hyena' for Windows (tm) Administration

Computers Microsoft Registry Windows