Scripts to crawl all computer registries on the network

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
November 26, 2004 9:58:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

I've been looking for script samples or tools that would get the list
of computers on the network in the domain/workgroup, connect to each
machine and get the contents of a specific registry path, building an
array of computer->reg pair.

This would be useful in getting a list of machines that have a
specific software installed, have ram amount below a threshold, have
3com NICs etc. This is assuming all machines are running the same OS
and the script is run as administrator.

I've been able to get the registry contents of one specific computer
using vbscript and activestate perl, but how do you get a list of all
machines in a domain?

Even better, is there a shareware (or otherwise) application that can
do these things?
November 26, 2004 6:52:45 PM

You can try Hyena. This is the only tool I know of that comes close to
what you might be looking for.

http://www.systemtools.com/hyena/server.htm

I hope this helps.

**
Craig
Microsoft Setup Team

Search our Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

Travel to the Windows 2003 Homepage @
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/default.mspx

Visit the Windows 2000 Homepage @
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/default.asp

See the Windows NT Homepage @
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting are mine and do
not necessarily express or reflect the views and / or opinions of
Microsoft.
***
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 1:17:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi,

To get the computer list I use ADSI. To check the Reg, I use StdRegProv.

It's also handy if you need to change a key on all machines at once. I
use JScript as the language. VB is utterly horrible, and Perl is
(unfortunately) not built into Windows.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
November 27, 2004 10:38:10 AM

On 26 Nov 2004 06:58:21 -0800, ghazan.haider@gmail.com (Ghazan Haider) wrote:

>I've been looking for script samples or tools that would get the list
>of computers on the network in the domain/workgroup, connect to each
>machine and get the contents of a specific registry path, building an
>array of computer->reg pair.
>
>This would be useful in getting a list of machines that have a
>specific software installed, have ram amount below a threshold, have
>3com NICs etc. This is assuming all machines are running the same OS
>and the script is run as administrator.
>
>I've been able to get the registry contents of one specific computer
>using vbscript and activestate perl, but how do you get a list of all
>machines in a domain?
>
>Even better, is there a shareware (or otherwise) application that can
>do these things?

See tip 4195 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
See tips 5850, 8614, 8278

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 2:57:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi Jerold,

> See tip 4195

It requires NetDom by the looks of it, and hails from the stone age!

> in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

That site gets a slap on the wrist for not being in compliance with
simple web standards. In Mozilla the left-hand menus don't even work and
the text in the banner can't be read.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.win2000.registry,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Thanks everyone for your help. We did it manually, but I'll keep the
scripts for future needs, hopefully I could build an application and
release it GPL.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 11:25:05 PM

Ghazan Haider wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your help. We did it manually, but I'll keep the
> scripts for future needs, hopefully I could build an application and
> release it GPL.

It's not really difficult enough to warrant a GPL! It's just a few calls
to ADSI and then StdRegProv. It's probably one of the most useful
scripts I've ever created, and saves me hours in time. I can't really
post the whole thing here, as it's specific to my network and uses a lot
of custom libraries, and also ignores some features I don't need, but
which you may!

You'll find examples in the ADSI and WMI groups all the time. If there's
any specific problem you have with the above I can answer it almost
immediately.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Anonymous

> You can try Hyena. This is the only tool I know of that comes close to
> what you might be looking for.
>
> http://www.systemtools.com/hyena/server.htm
>
> I hope this helps.

> **
> Craig
> Microsoft Setup Team

Hyena's exporting component, Exporter Pro, should be able to do this.
With Exporter Pro, you create a registry template that contains the
registry keys and values that you want to read, and then specify
either a list of computers or domain (ie all computers) to run it
against. Its also integrated with Hyena so that you can
display/filter the computer's in Hyena's GUI, then just select the
machines that you want to run your export against.

If you want to use WMI, both Hyena and Exporter Pro can run WMI
queries as well, which can get you a lot of information. Hyena can
run WMI queries on multiple computers too, so you can interactively
query multiple computers and if the results are writable, you can
change them too on multiple computers.

We also offer free support.

Kevin Stanush
SystemTools Software Inc.
http://www.systemtools.com
Home of 'Hyena' for Windows (tm) Administration
!