Setting Partition/Volume size at setup using RIS

I have a bunch of PCs I want to deploy that have 160mb SATA drives. I want
to install XP on a 40 gig partition leaving the rest of the disk free to
crave up as needed.

Is there a way to do this with RIS?

--

Rob
3 answers Last reply

    Using only RIS, not really....

    Workaround:
    You can boot Windows PE from RIS, have Winpe to automatically
    partition the disks and then kick of an uanttended install (also
    automatically)

    What you also can do is to partition the disk first and then tell RIS
    to use existing partitions

    regards
    Johan Arwidmark

    Windows User Group - Nordic
    http://www.wug-nordic.net

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:12:07 -0500, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
    <rkircher@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

    >I have a bunch of PCs I want to deploy that have 160mb SATA drives. I want
    >to install XP on a 40 gig partition leaving the rest of the disk free to
    >crave up as needed.
    >
    >Is there a way to do this with RIS?

    I was looking into Windows PE. Do you know of any step by step references?
    I've been working with the online help that comes with the OPK but it's not
    too clear on RIS interaction.

    --

    Rob

    "Johan Arwidmark" <johan.please_respond_to_forum.arwidmark@lutteman.se>
    wrote in message news:jgohq01coh0qek5otsa1pndkop2fq3ihkn@4ax.com...
    > Using only RIS, not really....
    >
    > Workaround:
    > You can boot Windows PE from RIS, have Winpe to automatically
    > partition the disks and then kick of an uanttended install (also
    > automatically)
    >
    > What you also can do is to partition the disk first and then tell RIS
    > to use existing partitions
    >
    > regards
    > Johan Arwidmark
    >
    > Windows User Group - Nordic
    > http://www.wug-nordic.net
    >

    > On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:12:07 -0500, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
    > <rkircher@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a bunch of PCs I want to deploy that have 160mb SATA drives. I
    >>want
    >>to install XP on a 40 gig partition leaving the rest of the disk free to
    >>crave up as needed.
    >>
    >>Is there a way to do this with RIS?

    Run Risetup to upload a Windows XP SP2 CD-ROM-based image to the RIS
    server.

    Insert the Windows PE 2004 CD and copy the contents of \Winpe\I386 to
    the i386 folder created in the previous step, overwrite existing
    files.

    Edit the RIStndrd.sif file. At the line that begins with
    "OSLoadOptions", add the /minint switch.

    If you want Windows PE 2004 to be more performant when booting from
    ris you should disable the setupapi logging and set the file to
    readonly on the ris iamge. a step-by-step prrocedure for this can be
    found on this article...

    You Experience Long Startup Times When You Start WinPE by Means of a
    Remote Installation Services Server
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822570

    regards
    Johan Arwidmark

    Windows User Group - Nordic
    http://www.wug-nordic.net

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:59:39 -0500, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
    <rkircher@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

    >I was looking into Windows PE. Do you know of any step by step references?
    >I've been working with the online help that comes with the OPK but it's not
    >too clear on RIS interaction.

Partition Microsoft Windows XP Windows