Setting Partition/Volume size at setup using RIS

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
November 27, 2004 2:12:07 PM

I have a bunch of PCs I want to deploy that have 160mb SATA drives. I want
to install XP on a 40 gig partition leaving the rest of the disk free to
crave up as needed.

Is there a way to do this with RIS?

--

Rob
Anonymous

Using only RIS, not really....

Workaround:
You can boot Windows PE from RIS, have Winpe to automatically
partition the disks and then kick of an uanttended install (also
automatically)

What you also can do is to partition the disk first and then tell RIS
to use existing partitions

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic
http://www.wug-nordic.net

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:12:07 -0500, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
<rkircher@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

>I have a bunch of PCs I want to deploy that have 160mb SATA drives. I want
>to install XP on a 40 gig partition leaving the rest of the disk free to
>crave up as needed.
>
>Is there a way to do this with RIS?
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 3:59:39 PM

I was looking into Windows PE. Do you know of any step by step references?
I've been working with the online help that comes with the OPK but it's not
too clear on RIS interaction.

--

Rob

"Johan Arwidmark" <johan.please_respond_to_forum.arwidmark@lutteman.se>
wrote in message news:jgohq01coh0qek5otsa1pndkop2fq3ihkn@4ax.com...
> Using only RIS, not really....
>
> Workaround:
> You can boot Windows PE from RIS, have Winpe to automatically
> partition the disks and then kick of an uanttended install (also
> automatically)
>
> What you also can do is to partition the disk first and then tell RIS
> to use existing partitions
>
> regards
> Johan Arwidmark
>
> Windows User Group - Nordic
> http://www.wug-nordic.net
>

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:12:07 -0500, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
> <rkircher@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
>
>>I have a bunch of PCs I want to deploy that have 160mb SATA drives. I
>>want
>>to install XP on a 40 gig partition leaving the rest of the disk free to
>>crave up as needed.
>>
>>Is there a way to do this with RIS?

Anonymous
November 30, 2004 4:45:01 AM

Run Risetup to upload a Windows XP SP2 CD-ROM-based image to the RIS
server.

Insert the Windows PE 2004 CD and copy the contents of \Winpe\I386 to
the i386 folder created in the previous step, overwrite existing
files.

Edit the RIStndrd.sif file. At the line that begins with
"OSLoadOptions", add the /minint switch.

If you want Windows PE 2004 to be more performant when booting from
ris you should disable the setupapi logging and set the file to
readonly on the ris iamge. a step-by-step prrocedure for this can be
found on this article...

You Experience Long Startup Times When You Start WinPE by Means of a
Remote Installation Services Server
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822570

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic
http://www.wug-nordic.net

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:59:39 -0500, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."

!