Sign in with
Your question

how bad will this card bottleneck my system?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Bottleneck
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 15, 2007 4:39:02 AM

hey guys..
just a quick question
i want to upgrade the video card on my system to play games like Splinter Cell Double Agent and CC3.
Will an EVGA 8800 GTS 320mb bottleneck my graphics performance? if so...how bad? I know alot of you will say to just build a new computer, i cant afford a new one right now but i will be upgrading in the fall, so for now a new video card will have to do. thanks for all your help :D 
Specs:
Thermaltake Soprano
Antec Neo 500w psu
Asus A8N-E mobo
AMD 64 3200
1 gb GEIL ddr 3200 dual channel
seagate 160 gb hd
xfx 6800gs
creative audigy 2 zs
Thermaltake venus cpu cooler
Acer 17" AL1751 lcd monitor

More about : bad card bottleneck system

March 15, 2007 8:40:47 AM

Just to clarify, the CPU and the rest of the components will bottleneck your graphics performance, NOT the 8800GTS. The new card will offer a substantial improvement in games but it won't show it's true potential mainly because of your CPU. If you're planning to do a major upgrade later this year... no worries. You'll keep the GTS and you'll be fine.
Not that the A64 3200+ is a bad CPU, most games are still single threaded and that is a decent processor. But by the end of the year I'm sure you'll feel the need (or at least the urge) for something more powerful and with more cores
March 15, 2007 9:08:42 AM

aha. Even my recently gone e6300 bottlenecked the 8800gts.

Best way to test for this bottleneck - overclock your CPU. If you get way more bungholio marks - there's your answer.
March 15, 2007 12:29:56 PM

Also get 2gb of RAM, and overclock the CPU.

1gb of RAM might be a bigger "bottleneck" for modern games. The CPU is still pretty good, but overclocking it would be a very good thing.

IMHO, you should save up for a new system, such as a quad-core rig.
March 15, 2007 12:49:01 PM

Quote:
hey guys..
just a quick question
i want to upgrade the video card on my system to play games like Splinter Cell Double Agent and CC3.
Will an EVGA 8800 GTS 320mb bottleneck my graphics performance? if so...how bad? I know alot of you will say to just build a new computer, i cant afford a new one right now but i will be upgrading in the fall, so for now a new video card will have to do. thanks for all your help :D 

By the way I don't know how well your into SCDA but if you get an 8800 of any kind more then likely you won't be able to play the game anymore. I'd check out the forums over there if I were you and really into that game. Just a heads up though. I have an 8800GTX and I'm sitting with SCDA installed praying a fix comes out for it.
March 15, 2007 1:07:58 PM

I wish I had that card so it could bottleneck my system. :lol: 
March 15, 2007 1:23:26 PM

thanks for your help...thats good to know about SCDA, i will do some research on that
March 15, 2007 1:24:26 PM

Quote:

Best way to test for this bottleneck - overclock your CPU. If you get way more bungholio marks - there's your answer.

I completely understand the concept of a bottleneck, but I'd never thought of this simple concept... man, you really nailed it. If you OC a component and your benchmarks don't go up, something else is your bottleneck. If your scores do scale up accordingly, then there's your bottleneck.

For many people, OC'n a CPU is just a waste of time as its impact will be VERY limited if you're GPU limited.
March 15, 2007 3:36:21 PM

Quote:

I completely understand the concept of a bottleneck, but I'd never thought of this simple concept... man, you really nailed it. If you OC a component and your benchmarks don't go up, something else is your bottleneck. If your scores do scale up accordingly, then there's your bottleneck.

For many people, OC'n a CPU is just a waste of time as its impact will be VERY limited if you're GPU limited.

Hey Rodney I see that you use the Geico caveman image as your avatar picture. Well, don't know if you know this but ABC is actually making a pilot episode of a show that is going to use the cavemen from the commericals as the stars of it. It's suppose to be a drama though instead of a comedy so I wonder how that will be but just a heads up since you like the commericals. Sorry to go off topic. -W
March 15, 2007 3:42:44 PM

You're not the first to tell me.
March 15, 2007 4:34:21 PM

Quote:
You're not the first to tell me.

Well, damn now I don't feel special anymore. /cry
March 15, 2007 4:38:59 PM

I wasn't trying to be rude... just rather amused at how many times people tell me that.
March 15, 2007 6:50:32 PM

Oh I'm just messing with you man. :-p
March 15, 2007 7:44:14 PM

Upgrade your processor to an Opteron 170! 8)
!