Upgrading from an NT4.0 domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
December 13, 2004 6:07:01 PM

Hi everyone, I just had a question upgrading to windows 2000 or windows 2003
server in an NT 4.0 domain. We plan to introduce a windows 2003 server in
what is presently an NT4.0 domain. It was my understaning that to do this we
would install NT 4.0 on the new hardware promote it to a PDC and then upgrade
it to Windows 2003 and install active directory. Is there another way to do
this? Thanks Sameer.

More about : upgrading nt4 domain

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:21:46 PM

You either migrate to Win 2k or Win 2k3 or upgrade.
See:
How to Upgrade Windows NT Server Version 4.0 to Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107

How to Set up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Migration

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260871

To upgrade you must upgrade the PDC first. This is the only way to carry a
writeable copy of the SAM into the AD domain. Upgrading any other server/BDC
before the PDC will result in new SAM. New SAM = new domain.

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

!