Upgrading from an NT4.0 domain

Hi everyone, I just had a question upgrading to windows 2000 or windows 2003
server in an NT 4.0 domain. We plan to introduce a windows 2003 server in
what is presently an NT4.0 domain. It was my understaning that to do this we
would install NT 4.0 on the new hardware promote it to a PDC and then upgrade
it to Windows 2003 and install active directory. Is there another way to do
this? Thanks Sameer.
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrading domain

    You either migrate to Win 2k or Win 2k3 or upgrade.
    See:
    How to Upgrade Windows NT Server Version 4.0 to Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298107

    How to Set up ADMT for Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Migration

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260871

    To upgrade you must upgrade the PDC first. This is the only way to carry a
    writeable copy of the SAM into the AD domain. Upgrading any other server/BDC
    before the PDC will result in new SAM. New SAM = new domain.

    hth

    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Narak786" <Narak786@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone, I just had a question upgrading to windows 2000 or windows
    2003
    > server in an NT 4.0 domain. We plan to introduce a windows 2003 server in
    > what is presently an NT4.0 domain. It was my understaning that to do this
    we
    > would install NT 4.0 on the new hardware promote it to a PDC and then
    upgrade
    > it to Windows 2003 and install active directory. Is there another way to
    do
    > this? Thanks Sameer.

Windows Server 2003 Domain Servers Windows