Integrating IE6 SP1 into Win2k Pro source install files

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

I am unpacking the ie 6 sp1 installation cabs, repacking each file with
makecab, and replacing the originals in the I386 folder. Will this work?
11 answers Last reply
More about integrating win2k source install files
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    You can try it. I'd put money on it not working. If it does work, you can
    guarantee that Microsoft would not recommend it.

    The normal way to do this is to run the setup with /q:a switch. GUIRunOnce
    is a good place to good place to launch the setup from in your unattended
    build. You'll need to schedule your own reboots.

    Regards

    Oli


    "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:61E80A29-21F6-4C04-B21D-5D49C971DCCD@microsoft.com...
    >I am unpacking the ie 6 sp1 installation cabs, repacking each file with
    > makecab, and replacing the originals in the I386 folder. Will this work?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Brandon wrote:
    > I am unpacking the ie 6 sp1 installation cabs, repacking each file with
    > makecab, and replacing the originals in the I386 folder. Will this work?

    Part of the problem with this is that any future service pack will not
    recognize what you've done.

    I usually add IE6SP1 (with latest patch) immediately after Win2k.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I currently have it in the svcpack folder, and I set it as the first item to
    install - before all the patches. This is just an experiment to see if I can
    save the space on the install CD for other things. One possible problem -
    this would not include any registry updates that may take place. So this is
    what I want to try:

    unpack all the 6sp1 cabs
    skip the files that do not already exist in i386
    repackage remaining files with the same compression as the current i386 files
    install win2k with the updated files
    install wininstallle and create the "before" snapshot
    install 6sp1 - only a few new files will actually install, as well as
    registry changes
    create the "after" snapshot
    create an msi package containing just the needed changes

    The resulting installer should be much smaller than all the ie6sp1
    inatallation files, and certainly, this would not be recommended by Microsoft
    - its just something I'm toying with to save space.

    Your thoughts? I wonder if WinInstallLe filters out some of the necissary
    portions of the registry by default?

    "Oli Restorick [MVP]" wrote:

    > You can try it. I'd put money on it not working. If it does work, you can
    > guarantee that Microsoft would not recommend it.
    >
    > The normal way to do this is to run the setup with /q:a switch. GUIRunOnce
    > is a good place to good place to launch the setup from in your unattended
    > build. You'll need to schedule your own reboots.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Oli
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:61E80A29-21F6-4C04-B21D-5D49C971DCCD@microsoft.com...
    > >I am unpacking the ie 6 sp1 installation cabs, repacking each file with
    > > makecab, and replacing the originals in the I386 folder. Will this work?
    >
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thank you Gerry. To avoid the future sp issue, I keep a copy of a bare
    Win2ksp4 OS without any patches or additional updates. I have read recently
    that sp4 is the last service pack and that Microsoft plans on sending smaller
    "update rollouts" (or something like that) for future bulk update packages.
    See my reply to Oli for more info on why I am trying this out, if you are
    interested.

    "Gerry Hickman" wrote:

    > Part of the problem with this is that any future service pack will not
    > recognize what you've done.
    >
    > I usually add IE6SP1 (with latest patch) immediately after Win2k.
    >
    > --
    > Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    If you're looking to go down the MSI route, the guys over at
    www.appdeploy.com have something for IE6. I also believe Microsoft PSS can
    supply an MSI for IE6, but I have never used it.

    Here's the link

    http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=102

    Again, I haven't used that method and have no idea how compact it is, but it
    will almost certainly be better than using WinInstall LE.

    If you're really short of space on the CD (and I take it you've already
    removed the unnecessary folders from the root of the CD and from inside
    i386) then I'd suggest giving a DVD a try. Of course, this may not always
    be practical.

    I think Gerry's point about future service packs and update rollups (I know
    that Microsoft have said there will be no more SPs) was that machines you
    deploy using this method may have patching issues. I take it you don't
    normally redeploy machines when an update comes out.

    While I'd have liked there to have been a method for slipstreaming IE6, I
    just feel inclined to deploy it by the book from a supportability
    standpoint. Although things may seem to work, you never quite know whether
    all the files and registry entries are installed properly.

    Good luck in your experimentation, though.

    Cheers

    Oli


    "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:97335644-78B5-4058-A83F-44E4F8FA54CB@microsoft.com...
    >I currently have it in the svcpack folder, and I set it as the first item
    >to
    > install - before all the patches. This is just an experiment to see if I
    > can
    > save the space on the install CD for other things. One possible problem -
    > this would not include any registry updates that may take place. So this
    > is
    > what I want to try:
    >
    > unpack all the 6sp1 cabs
    > skip the files that do not already exist in i386
    > repackage remaining files with the same compression as the current i386
    > files
    > install win2k with the updated files
    > install wininstallle and create the "before" snapshot
    > install 6sp1 - only a few new files will actually install, as well as
    > registry changes
    > create the "after" snapshot
    > create an msi package containing just the needed changes
    >
    > The resulting installer should be much smaller than all the ie6sp1
    > inatallation files, and certainly, this would not be recommended by
    > Microsoft
    > - its just something I'm toying with to save space.
    >
    > Your thoughts? I wonder if WinInstallLe filters out some of the necissary
    > portions of the registry by default?
    >
    > "Oli Restorick [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> You can try it. I'd put money on it not working. If it does work, you
    >> can
    >> guarantee that Microsoft would not recommend it.
    >>
    >> The normal way to do this is to run the setup with /q:a switch.
    >> GUIRunOnce
    >> is a good place to good place to launch the setup from in your unattended
    >> build. You'll need to schedule your own reboots.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Oli
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:61E80A29-21F6-4C04-B21D-5D49C971DCCD@microsoft.com...
    >> >I am unpacking the ie 6 sp1 installation cabs, repacking each file with
    >> > makecab, and replacing the originals in the I386 folder. Will this
    >> > work?
    >>
    >>
    >>
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thank you again Oli, you have some good points on a multiple machine
    deploymernt (and so does Gerry). I am not running out of space yet since I
    removed all the upgrade and extra language folders/files, but I have a lot I
    want to add to it. I'll check out that MSI packager. Thanks for the link!

    Brandon

    "Oli Restorick [MVP]" wrote:

    > If you're looking to go down the MSI route, the guys over at
    > www.appdeploy.com have something for IE6. I also believe Microsoft PSS can
    > supply an MSI for IE6, but I have never used it.
    >
    > Here's the link
    >
    > http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=102
    >
    > Again, I haven't used that method and have no idea how compact it is, but it
    > will almost certainly be better than using WinInstall LE.
    >
    > If you're really short of space on the CD (and I take it you've already
    > removed the unnecessary folders from the root of the CD and from inside
    > i386) then I'd suggest giving a DVD a try. Of course, this may not always
    > be practical.
    >
    > I think Gerry's point about future service packs and update rollups (I know
    > that Microsoft have said there will be no more SPs) was that machines you
    > deploy using this method may have patching issues. I take it you don't
    > normally redeploy machines when an update comes out.
    >
    > While I'd have liked there to have been a method for slipstreaming IE6, I
    > just feel inclined to deploy it by the book from a supportability
    > standpoint. Although things may seem to work, you never quite know whether
    > all the files and registry entries are installed properly.
    >
    > Good luck in your experimentation, though.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Oli
    >
    >
    >
    > "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:97335644-78B5-4058-A83F-44E4F8FA54CB@microsoft.com...
    > >I currently have it in the svcpack folder, and I set it as the first item
    > >to
    > > install - before all the patches. This is just an experiment to see if I
    > > can
    > > save the space on the install CD for other things. One possible problem -
    > > this would not include any registry updates that may take place. So this
    > > is
    > > what I want to try:
    > >
    > > unpack all the 6sp1 cabs
    > > skip the files that do not already exist in i386
    > > repackage remaining files with the same compression as the current i386
    > > files
    > > install win2k with the updated files
    > > install wininstallle and create the "before" snapshot
    > > install 6sp1 - only a few new files will actually install, as well as
    > > registry changes
    > > create the "after" snapshot
    > > create an msi package containing just the needed changes
    > >
    > > The resulting installer should be much smaller than all the ie6sp1
    > > inatallation files, and certainly, this would not be recommended by
    > > Microsoft
    > > - its just something I'm toying with to save space.
    > >
    > > Your thoughts? I wonder if WinInstallLe filters out some of the necissary
    > > portions of the registry by default?
    > >
    > > "Oli Restorick [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You can try it. I'd put money on it not working. If it does work, you
    > >> can
    > >> guarantee that Microsoft would not recommend it.
    > >>
    > >> The normal way to do this is to run the setup with /q:a switch.
    > >> GUIRunOnce
    > >> is a good place to good place to launch the setup from in your unattended
    > >> build. You'll need to schedule your own reboots.
    > >>
    > >> Regards
    > >>
    > >> Oli
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> "Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> news:61E80A29-21F6-4C04-B21D-5D49C971DCCD@microsoft.com...
    > >> >I am unpacking the ie 6 sp1 installation cabs, repacking each file with
    > >> > makecab, and replacing the originals in the I386 folder. Will this
    > >> > work?
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>
    >
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Brandon,

    > I have read recently
    > that sp4 is the last service pack and that Microsoft plans on sending smaller
    > "update rollouts" (or something like that)

    Do you know where you read it? I kind of had a feelling about this when
    I read the most recent security updates articles. It used to say "will
    be included in SP5", but now it says something like "will be included in
    a roll-up". This is bad!

    > for future bulk update packages.

    One problem I ran into last week was trying to get an IEAK build to
    install the latest cumulative security patch. It does not like long file
    names, but even after I renamed the patch file it still didn't work -
    perhaps something to do with the command line parameters /quiet /passive
    /norestart

    Instead of installing the update, the build threw up a huge dialog with
    all the security patch command line options!

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Gerry Hickman <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

    > Hi Brandon,
    >
    > > I have read recently that sp4 is the last service pack and that
    > > Microsoft plans on sending smaller "update rollouts" (or something
    > > like that)
    >
    > Do you know where you read it?

    Hi, Gerry. See this bulletin, which also links to a FAQ:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/rollup.asp

    I wish they would release it sooner. My post-SP4 updates script
    (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/unattended/unattended/install/scripts/win2ksp4-updates.bat?rev=HEAD&view=auto)
    is getting rather long...

    - Pat
    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Patrick J. LoPresti" wrote:

    > Gerry Hickman <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
    >
    > > Hi Brandon,
    > >
    > > > I have read recently that sp4 is the last service pack and that
    > > > Microsoft plans on sending smaller "update rollouts" (or something
    > > > like that)
    > >
    > > Do you know where you read it?
    >
    > Hi, Gerry. See this bulletin, which also links to a FAQ:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/rollup.asp
    >
    > I wish they would release it sooner. My post-SP4 updates script
    > (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/unattended/unattended/install/scripts/win2ksp4-updates.bat?rev=HEAD&view=auto)
    > is getting rather long...
    >
    > - Pat
    > http://unattended.sourceforge.net/
    >

    Yes, that's the link. It looks like about 6 months still...

    Brandon
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

    > Hi, Gerry. See this bulletin, which also links to a FAQ:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/rollup.asp

    Thanks. That pretty much clarifies things.

    > I wish they would release it sooner. My post-SP4 updates script
    > (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/unattended/unattended/install/scripts/win2ksp4-updates.bat?rev=HEAD&view=auto)
    > is getting rather long...

    Good grief! I have a script to run on new machines, but it's only a
    fraction of that size, and grabs the images from a network or CD-ROM. It
    looks like your's is multilanguage though, whereas mine is only Engligh.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Gerry Hickman <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

    > Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
    >
    > > I wish they would release it sooner. My post-SP4 updates script
    > > (http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/unattended/unattended/install/scripts/win2ksp4-updates.bat?rev=HEAD&view=auto)
    > > is getting rather long...
    >
    > Good grief! I have a script to run on new machines, but it's only a
    > fraction of that size, and grabs the images from a network or
    > CD-ROM. It looks like your's is multilanguage though, whereas mine is
    > only Engligh.

    Yeah, the bulk of the script is comments with download URLs for the
    updates in all of the supported languages. (It helps having users in
    Russia, France, Germany, the Netherlands, etc. to keep us honest.)
    The comments are formatted funny because we have an auxiliary script
    which parses them, downloading all of the updates to the install share
    automatically.

    Now if only I had time to update our documentation...

    - Pat
    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/
Ask a new question

Read More

Internet Explorer Microsoft IE6 Windows