ActiveSync and Outlook

June 10, 2005 6:56:55 PM

Is it possible to sync with Outlook without Outlook being the default
mailer? I use Thunderbird for mail on my PC, but like to keep a copy of
my calendar, contacts and notes on the PC. But Outlook insists on being
my default mailer.

Even better, is there an equivalent of Palm Desktop for the PocketPC?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Sven.

More about : activesync outlook

June 10, 2005 6:56:56 PM

Sven Hammarling wrote:
> Is it possible to sync with Outlook without Outlook being the default
> mailer?

You could just uncheck "Sync e-mails".

> Even better, is there an equivalent of Palm Desktop for the PocketPC?

Yeah, it's called Outlook. Even does mails :-)
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:31:27 PM

René wrote:
> Sven Hammarling wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to sync with Outlook without Outlook being the default
>>mailer?
>

> You could just uncheck "Sync e-mails".
>

>>Even better, is there an equivalent of Palm Desktop for the PocketPC?
>

> Yeah, it's called Outlook. Even does mails :-)

I do have "Sync e-mails" unchecked, but Outlook still insists on being
the default mailer.
June 13, 2005 4:07:40 PM

René wrote:
> René wrote:
>
>>Sven Hammarling wrote:
>>
>>>I do have "Sync e-mails" unchecked, but Outlook still insists on being
>>>the default mailer.
>>
>>http://www.gesellige-runde.com/misc/defaultprogs.jpg
>

> So, I take it that worked? You're welcome.

Dear Rene',

I am afraid that it did not work. I probably am not making myself clear
- I do know how to set default mailers, what I do not know is whether or
not it is possible to sync with Outlook without it being the default
mailer; I suspect it is not possible (another gotcha from Microsoft),
but I hoped someone might know of a way to do it. Without Outlook being
the default mailer I get the following message when connecting my iPAQ

"Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client
cannot fulfil the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Office Outlook
and set it as the default mail client."

Very frustrating, especially as I have no wish to synchronize mail!

But thanks for the suggestion.

Sven.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:47:15 PM

Sven Hammarling wrote:
[...]
> I am afraid that it did not work. I probably am not making myself
> clear - I do know how to set default mailers, what I do not know is
> whether or not it is possible to sync with Outlook without it being
> the default mailer; I suspect it is not possible (another gotcha from
> Microsoft), but I hoped someone might know of a way to do it.
Maybe XTNDConnect would be a (pricey) solution, since it supports syncing
from multiple apps, presumably those apps don't have to be defaults. Don't
know if there's anything else similar. http://tinyurl.com/9bxnp

Tony
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 7:26:57 PM

Tony A. wrote:
> Sven Hammarling wrote:
> [...]
>
>>I am afraid that it did not work. I probably am not making myself
>>clear - I do know how to set default mailers, what I do not know is
>>whether or not it is possible to sync with Outlook without it being
>>the default mailer; I suspect it is not possible (another gotcha from
>>Microsoft), but I hoped someone might know of a way to do it.
>
> Maybe XTNDConnect would be a (pricey) solution, since it supports syncing
> from multiple apps, presumably those apps don't have to be defaults. Don't
> know if there's anything else similar. http://tinyurl.com/9bxnp
>
> Tony

Thanks Tony, I'll take a look,

Sven.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:06:26 AM

Sven Hammarling wrote:
> I am afraid that it did not work. I probably am not making myself clear
> - I do know how to set default mailers, what I do not know is whether or
> not it is possible to sync with Outlook without it being the default
> mailer; I suspect it is not possible (another gotcha from Microsoft),
> but I hoped someone might know of a way to do it. Without Outlook being
> the default mailer I get the following message when connecting my iPAQ
>
> "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client
> cannot fulfil the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Office Outlook
> and set it as the default mail client."
>
> Very frustrating, especially as I have no wish to synchronize mail!

I don't know why it's not working for you. I have a similar setup
syncing a Dell Axim PocketPC with Outlook 2003 on my laptop computer.
I only sync Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks, not emails.
Outlook Express (not Outlook) is my defaul email client. Syncing
works fine, no error messages. I am using ActiveSync 3.7.1.
Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done.

--

Gary VanderMolen
!