Virtual Memory

I occaisionally get a message that windows in increasing my virtual memory. I
have 512 of ram, and typically have one program application and a handfull of
web pages open. Is there anything I can do to optimize my system performance.
10 answers Last reply
More about virtual memory

    Check this page for information about Virtual Memory
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "pj" <pj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I occaisionally get a message that windows in increasing my virtual
    memory. I
    > have 512 of ram, and typically have one program application and a handfull
    of
    > web pages open. Is there anything I can do to optimize my system
    performance.

    "pj" <pj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I occaisionally get a message that windows in increasing my virtual
    memory. I
    > have 512 of ram, and typically have one program application and a handfull
    of
    > web pages open. Is there anything I can do to optimize my system
    performance.

    If you get another stick of RAM your PC will probably not have to use Swap
    Files (virtual memory) at all and your PC will run faster. Alternatively
    monitor your Swap File size (not Swap File usage) and set minimum Swap File
    size to the maximum that the Swap File size grows to plus 100 Mb while
    leaving Maximum Swap File size at No Maximum. That way you will reduce
    fragmentation of Swap Files while still allowing Windows to increase them if
    needed. If Windows then needs to increase Swap File size then increase the
    minimum. Getting extra RAM is easier and more efficient though.

    Rob

    Rob,
    I have a pair of 256 sticks now, the pc is a dell, it came with one stick
    and I added a 2nd stick a couple of years later. The RAM is the same DDR/mhz
    as original. Any additional thoughts. Thanks for your time.

    Paul

    "Canopus" wrote:

    > "pj" <pj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I occaisionally get a message that windows in increasing my virtual
    > memory. I
    > > have 512 of ram, and typically have one program application and a handfull
    > of
    > > web pages open. Is there anything I can do to optimize my system
    > performance.
    > >

    > If you get another stick of RAM your PC will probably not have to use Swap
    > Files (virtual memory) at all and your PC will run faster. Alternatively
    > monitor your Swap File size (not Swap File usage) and set minimum Swap File
    > size to the maximum that the Swap File size grows to plus 100 Mb while
    > leaving Maximum Swap File size at No Maximum. That way you will reduce
    > fragmentation of Swap Files while still allowing Windows to increase them if
    > needed. If Windows then needs to increase Swap File size then increase the
    > minimum. Getting extra RAM is easier and more efficient though.
    >
    > Rob

    Page file is what NT systems like XP call the swap file. Your memory is not
    at issue except that more than 512mb will mean less use of the hard drive
    for the page file for some applications. The virtual memory is on the hard
    drive. If left to manage a 512mb system itself, XP will use from 784mb to
    1.5gb of hard drive space for the page file. If you increase ram to 1gb, XP
    will allocate from 1.5gb to 3gb of hard drive space for the page file on the
    assumption that you added ram to support ram-hungry applications. If your
    applications are not that hungry, then the actual page file usage will drop
    because the memory manager will use the ram first.

    There is a difference between the space allocated for the page file and the
    actual amount of page file in use. To see how much of the page file is in
    use on your machine, right click on the Taskbar, select Task Manager, and
    click on the Performance tab.

    > Rob,
    > I have a pair of 256 sticks now, the pc is a dell, it came with one stick
    > and I added a 2nd stick a couple of years later. The RAM is the same
    > DDR/mhz
    > as original. Any additional thoughts. Thanks for your time.
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > "Canopus" wrote:
    >

    >> "pj" <pj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I occaisionally get a message that windows in increasing my virtual
    >> memory. I
    >> > have 512 of ram, and typically have one program application and a
    >> > handfull
    >> of
    >> > web pages open. Is there anything I can do to optimize my system
    >> performance.
    >> >

    >> If you get another stick of RAM your PC will probably not have to use
    >> Swap
    >> Files (virtual memory) at all and your PC will run faster. Alternatively
    >> monitor your Swap File size (not Swap File usage) and set minimum Swap
    >> File
    >> size to the maximum that the Swap File size grows to plus 100 Mb while
    >> leaving Maximum Swap File size at No Maximum. That way you will reduce
    >> fragmentation of Swap Files while still allowing Windows to increase them
    >> if
    >> needed. If Windows then needs to increase Swap File size then increase
    >> the
    >> minimum. Getting extra RAM is easier and more efficient though.
    >>
    >> Rob

    "pj" <pj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I occaisionally get a message that windows in increasing my virtual
    memory. I
    > have 512 of ram, and typically have one program application and a handfull
    of
    > web pages open. Is there anything I can do to optimize my system
    performance.

    The message indicates that the pagefile is too small. Let Windows XP manage
    it until you really really understand virtual memory operating systems. You
    also should increase the amount of physical memory.

    Your assumption that only the one program that you start is running. In
    fact, the number of processes is 40 or so. Every one of these has a 4GB
    address space, every one of these has some claim on physical memory, every
    one has some claim on the pagefile, and all of the drivers must have
    physical memory allocated (else performance will go into the tank). So,
    just because you have 512MB of physical memory does not mean that you could
    use more.

    im

    Did you read the info at the link I sent you?

    --

    > Page file is what NT systems like XP call the swap file. Your memory is
    not
    > at issue except that more than 512mb will mean less use of the hard drive
    > for the page file for some applications. The virtual memory is on the
    hard
    > drive. If left to manage a 512mb system itself, XP will use from 784mb to
    > 1.5gb of hard drive space for the page file. If you increase ram to 1gb,
    XP
    > will allocate from 1.5gb to 3gb of hard drive space for the page file on
    the
    > assumption that you added ram to support ram-hungry applications. If your
    > applications are not that hungry, then the actual page file usage will
    drop
    > because the memory manager will use the ram first.

    So that's why I have so much Swap File allocated by Windows. I have 512 Mb
    of RAM and monitoring Swap File usage I see I use up to 175 Mb when editing
    images with lots of layers yet my Swap File allocation never goes much below
    1 Gb when Windows controls it. Getting another 512 Mb of RAM would speed up
    processing of these large files for me, but, it also sounds that I will have
    to take Swap File allocation in hand and not let Windows allocate the size
    otherwise I'm going to have a lot of wasted disk space. Not a big problem
    at the moment as I have space to spare, but, in the future...

    Rob

    Be aware that the pagefile as managed by Windows takes into account memory
    dumping in the event of a problem..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Be aware that the pagefile as managed by Windows takes into account memory
    > dumping in the event of a problem..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Sure, but, 1.5 to 3 Gb sounds a bit excessive. I used to run at 1 Gb max
    and min in 98se with same applications usage with no problem so if I upgrade
    to 1 Gb of RAM I'd imagine that 1 Gb min and no maximum should see me OK.
    Could even set max after a bit of monitoring.

    Rob

    But it also keeps the page file from fragmenting, which is what happens if
    it has to allocate more. I would let the system handle it and not worry
    about it.

    > "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Be aware that the pagefile as managed by Windows takes into account
    >> memory
    >> dumping in the event of a problem..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Hall
    >> MVP - Windows Shell/user
    >>
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    > Sure, but, 1.5 to 3 Gb sounds a bit excessive. I used to run at 1 Gb max
    > and min in 98se with same applications usage with no problem so if I
    > upgrade
    > to 1 Gb of RAM I'd imagine that 1 Gb min and no maximum should see me OK.
    > Could even set max after a bit of monitoring.
    >
    > Rob

Virtual Memory Microsoft Windows XP