Adding a CPU

I want to add a second CPU to a couple of my Win2K servers; I know with
Windows NT it would not simply recognize and use the new processor without OS
modifications. I couldn't find anything specifically on TechNet, but a
couple of articles seem to imply I don't need to do anything except plug it
in. Is that corrrect?

TIA,

--
- Mark

Possibly but just in case.

How to Add Support for Multiple Processors in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=234558

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mark C. Walton" wrote:
|I want to add a second CPU to a couple of my Win2K servers; I know with
| Windows NT it would not simply recognize and use the new processor without
OS
| modifications. I couldn't find anything specifically on TechNet, but a
| couple of articles seem to imply I don't need to do anything except plug
it
| in. Is that corrrect?
|
| TIA,
|
| --
| - Mark

Thanks for pointing me to that...strangely enough, one type of
multi-processor capable servers I have shows "ACPI MultiProc", whether or not
one or more processors are installed; my other servers all show "ACPI
UniProc", so I'm guessing those will need to have the HAL changed.

Anyway, thanks again Dave.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Possibly but just in case.
>
> How to Add Support for Multiple Processors in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=234558
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Mark C. Walton" wrote:
> |I want to add a second CPU to a couple of my Win2K servers; I know with
> | Windows NT it would not simply recognize and use the new processor without
> OS
> | modifications. I couldn't find anything specifically on TechNet, but a
> | couple of articles seem to imply I don't need to do anything except plug
> it
> | in. Is that corrrect?
> |
> | TIA,
> |
> | --
> | - Mark

You're welcome.

--

"Mark C. Walton" wrote:
| Thanks for pointing me to that...strangely enough, one type of
| multi-processor capable servers I have shows "ACPI MultiProc", whether or
not
| one or more processors are installed; my other servers all show "ACPI
| UniProc", so I'm guessing those will need to have the HAL changed.
|
| Anyway, thanks again Dave.

TRENDING THREADS