PLEASE HELP!!! IM GOING NUTTS!!!

Hays1530

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I bought a new ATI Radeon X800 GTO PCI-E and I have just popped it in and I'm trying to work it.

I installed the drivers that came with its CD and it started showing black boxes around my screen that disappear and appear as I move my mouse over them.

I tried installing the latest drivers from the ATI website and I also downloaded and installed some ATI OMEGA drivers that I heard about, but same thing. Sometimes it gets so bad, my screen freezes turns black a few times and comes back with worse colours or sometimes it gets so bad it crashes the PC.

In other forums, it was suggested it was a hardware problem. I agreed. So I went out and bought another of the same graphics card and the same thing happened. So it wasn't a graphics card hardware problem. Could it be another hardware problem like compatibility issues with my processor or motherboard?

When i use F8 to boot into VGA mode, my card works perfect and everything is and looks fine. But when i restart into normal mode, my problem occurs again. I tried getting my computer to automatically go into VGA mode but it got annoying because i had to change the resolution and refresh rate every time I turned my PC on.

Yes, I have tried re-installing Windows. I even tried formatting my hard drive and starting from scratch but i get the same problems. Does this mean it's not a software problem?

The drivers that I used were the ATI 6.10 Catalyst driver and the Omega 3.8.330 Driver.

---------------------------------
My Specs:
- Intel 650 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB Cache
- Gigabyte GA-81945GMH-RH Motherboard
- ATI X800 GTO 256MB PCI-E Graphics Card
- 1 GB RAM
- 100 Western Digital Hard drive
- PSU @ 550W output
---------------------------------

Help in solving this problem will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

scradge

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
well for starters those are not the latest drivers, go to the ATI website and try those, the fult could lie in your actual grphics card, sounds to me to be a bit dodgy, especially after installing the latest drivers,

annother thing to check would be your Chipset drivers, sometimes they can cause the probems your describing

SSS_DDK

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
As suggested earlier, but follow this path:
1-check in bios whether you have modified a graphics setting (there isn't too many)
2-update chipset drivers (on the manufacturer's website)
3-uninstall graphics drivers and restart (defaults to standard vga, refuse installing standard windows drivers)
4-clean up registry and system folders (norton windows monitor, system mechanic, etc..)
5-install latest drivers from card manufacturer's website)
ps: some of these steps might be of no use, but better be on the safe side.

It might be a power supply problem, but test the software solution first (it's free)