How do I join a WinXP PC to domain during mini-setup

Hello.
I am setting up some PCs via Ghost and Sysprep. I have a master PC, which
has a directory C:\sysprep in which I put the sysprep.inf file so that the
Mini Setup can be unattended. I sysprep the master and ghost up the image.
I ghost down the image to a different box and reboot. The mini setup program
starts automatically. I want to be prompted to join the domain at this time,
and be able to enter the domain name, user account, and password (for a user
authorized to joint the machine to the domain). Can someone help me on this?
When I run sysprep, should I choose unattended or sysprep. I've been
choosing sysprep. And in the sysprep.inf file, what do I need to specify to
be able to do this? Also, where do I need to have the sysprep.inf file so
that it is read when the ghosted PC reboots and starts the mini-setup
program? Thanks in advanced.

Benjamin
3 answers Last reply
More about join winxp domain mini setup

    You need to run setupmgr before sysprep. This will run you through a wizard
    where you can name the pc, specifiy the domain, enter the admin password,
    etc.

    "Benjamin708" wrote:

    > Hello.
    > I am setting up some PCs via Ghost and Sysprep. I have a master PC, which
    > has a directory C:\sysprep in which I put the sysprep.inf file so that the
    > Mini Setup can be unattended. I sysprep the master and ghost up the image.
    > I ghost down the image to a different box and reboot. The mini setup program
    > starts automatically. I want to be prompted to join the domain at this time,
    > and be able to enter the domain name, user account, and password (for a user
    > authorized to joint the machine to the domain). Can someone help me on this?
    > When I run sysprep, should I choose unattended or sysprep. I've been
    > choosing sysprep. And in the sysprep.inf file, what do I need to specify to
    > be able to do this? Also, where do I need to have the sysprep.inf file so
    > that it is read when the ghosted PC reboots and starts the mini-setup
    > program? Thanks in advanced.
    >
    > Benjamin

    The problem is that I don't want the Administrator's password to be in the
    sysprep.inf file. I want to be prompted for the user credentials to join the
    domain when I run the mini setup on the destination PCs.

    Benjamin

    "JoeC" wrote:

    > You need to run setupmgr before sysprep. This will run you through a wizard
    > where you can name the pc, specifiy the domain, enter the admin password,
    > etc.
    >
    > "Benjamin708" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello.
    > > I am setting up some PCs via Ghost and Sysprep. I have a master PC, which
    > > has a directory C:\sysprep in which I put the sysprep.inf file so that the
    > > Mini Setup can be unattended. I sysprep the master and ghost up the image.
    > > I ghost down the image to a different box and reboot. The mini setup program
    > > starts automatically. I want to be prompted to join the domain at this time,
    > > and be able to enter the domain name, user account, and password (for a user
    > > authorized to joint the machine to the domain). Can someone help me on this?
    > > When I run sysprep, should I choose unattended or sysprep. I've been
    > > choosing sysprep. And in the sysprep.inf file, what do I need to specify to
    > > be able to do this? Also, where do I need to have the sysprep.inf file so
    > > that it is read when the ghosted PC reboots and starts the mini-setup
    > > program? Thanks in advanced.
    > >
    > > Benjamin

    Like Benjamin said, run setupmgr.exe.

    Solution 1
    Create domain user account just for joining domain. Remove (or deny) user
    right to log on locally to this account. Specify this account in answer
    file.

    Solution 2
    Run setupmgr.exe as if you would join a single computer to a domain.
    Include computername, username, password, domain.
    Edit resulting file sysprep.inf.
    Leave blank computername, username and password.

    Dusko Savatovic

    "Benjamin708" <Benjamin708@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The problem is that I don't want the Administrator's password to be in the
    > sysprep.inf file. I want to be prompted for the user credentials to join
    > the
    > domain when I run the mini setup on the destination PCs.
    >
    > Benjamin
    >

    > "JoeC" wrote:
    >
    >> You need to run setupmgr before sysprep. This will run you through a
    >> wizard
    >> where you can name the pc, specifiy the domain, enter the admin password,
    >> etc.

Domain Microsoft Windows