Something weird's going on with a computer I'm trying to fix.

Shadowd5

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
When I try to open up Internet Explorer, it'll open up, but when I go to a webpage, it'll stop working and give an error that reads "The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000005) occurred in the application at location 0x7329ef77."

I'm also having problems with Norton 360 where it refuses to open up. I'm totally confused here, can someone help me figure out what's going on with it?

We've bought a program called "System Mechanic" to try and fix it, but it hasn't done anything to solve the problem. Can anyone give me advice?

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
It is most likely a add-on that is damaged or conflicting with norton. It may even be Norton's add-on.

I would recommend resetting IE to default settings.
Open IE>tools>internet options>Advanced tab> click restore advanced settings and reset>click Apply and ok. Then restart IE.

Not sure what version you are running, so you should upgrade to IE 9 if you haven't. Or Firefox.

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011

Agreed. Norton Anti-virus 2011 is very good. Not a fan of 360 or Internet Security versions.

zalittle

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Norton is a bloated, resource hog, that is useless in my opinion. Get Microsoft Security Essentials which is a free antivirus.
Quit using Internet Explorer.
Get Firefox,Chrome,Opera, and try these. You will be better off using these other browsers.
I use all three.
Also, get malwarebytes, it is awesome and does the job well.