Is it possible this configuration be implemented? Is ther ..

Hi all...

I have 2 DELL Servers (Pentium Xeon 2.4 GB, 512 MB RAM and 80 GB hard disk)
where I want to deploy Windows Server 2003. Let's name SERVER 1 and SERVER 2.

The configuration I'm planning is:

SERVER 1:
Hardware:
- 2 NIC's
- NIC 1 connected to Internet by mean of an ISP
- NIC 2 connected to the LAN
- HDD C: drive with a 10 GB partition
- 10 GB for applications, 30 GB for Web sites and 30 GB for other Data
- This server is intented to be used as Web Server and Firewall
Software:
- Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
- ISA Server 2004

SERVER 2:
Hardware:
- 1 NIC connected to the LAN
- HDD C: drive with a 10 GB partition
- This server is intended to be used as DNS Server, Active Directory and
Mail Server
Software:
- Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
- Exchange Server 2003

I want to know if this configuration is possible and if I have som cons to
be aware of.
For example, one especific question I have if it's possible to configure
exchange OWA if Exchange Server is installed on a machine different from the
web server and since Windows 2003 Web Edition doesn't have ICS, by installing
ISA Server I will have it so that other LAN PC's can connect to Internet?

Can I use only one Server, acting as Web Server, ISA Server, DNS, Active
Directory and Exchange Server without problems? or I will get out of
resources very soon?

Thanks a lot in advance
Jaime

ISA 2004 will only work on Standard or Enterprise versions of WIndows Server
2003:

http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/evaluation/sysreqs/2004.asp

Small Business Server 2003 has Exchange, Active Directory, SQL and ISA
Server all bundled into one sweet box. The SBS group is very informative
about what hardware will be the best bet. You will certainly want a beefy
one if you use all the features.

microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE

"Jaime Stuardo"
> Hi all...
>
> I have 2 DELL Servers (Pentium Xeon 2.4 GB, 512 MB RAM and 80 GB hard
> disk)
> where I want to deploy Windows Server 2003. Let's name SERVER 1 and SERVER
> 2.
>
> The configuration I'm planning is:
>
> SERVER 1:
> Hardware:
> - 2 NIC's
> - NIC 1 connected to Internet by mean of an ISP
> - NIC 2 connected to the LAN
> - HDD C: drive with a 10 GB partition
> - 10 GB for applications, 30 GB for Web sites and 30 GB for other Data
> - This server is intented to be used as Web Server and Firewall
> Software:
> - Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
> - ISA Server 2004
>
> SERVER 2:
> Hardware:
> - 1 NIC connected to the LAN
> - HDD C: drive with a 10 GB partition
> - This server is intended to be used as DNS Server, Active Directory and
> Mail Server
> Software:
> - Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
> - Exchange Server 2003
>
> I want to know if this configuration is possible and if I have som cons to
> be aware of.
> For example, one especific question I have if it's possible to configure
> exchange OWA if Exchange Server is installed on a machine different from
> the
> web server and since Windows 2003 Web Edition doesn't have ICS, by
> installing
> ISA Server I will have it so that other LAN PC's can connect to Internet?
>
> Can I use only one Server, acting as Web Server, ISA Server, DNS, Active
> Directory and Exchange Server without problems? or I will get out of
> resources very soon?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance
> Jaime

PS - I should mention that:
1. SBS will also not run on the Web version of Server 2003.
2. SBS2003 Standard does not come with ISA built-in. You'll want the
Premium version for that.
3. ISA 2004 can be installed on SBS2003 Premium to upgrade the ISA 2000 that
comes preinstalled.
4. I find the SBS licensing to be a marketing blunder... way too complex.
Ask about it in the SBS group.
5. You weren't specific about your configuration. SBS is not for Active
Directory branch offices and so on.

Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Small Business Server 2003
Licensing
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/licensingfaq.mspx

General Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/techinfo/overview/generalfaq.mspx

--
Scott Baldridge
Windows Server MVP, MCSE