talking motherboard?

mitmee_pie

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Hello. I'm getting ready to purchase a new computer system, and thought tht I had everything I wanted figured out until I just received an interesting tidbit from a member of one of the blind computer users groups I'm subscribed to. He mentioned that Asus motherboards can speak error messages instead of just beeping, and as a blind computer enthusiast, I was highly interested in this feature. Is the talking feature real, and if so, which currently available motherboards use it? Is asus the only brand of motherboard that provides this feature, or might I have other options?
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide in this matter. It is sincerely appreciated. Missy

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
I have an older Asus motherboard, the A8N-SLI which supports this feature called "ASUS POST Reporter"
A voice warning design during POST notifies users of any system errors, which means no more complicated LED messages!
It is part of the "AI Series" and I believe it is included with all motherboards under the "AI Series" moniker.
Mine just beeps, not sure why, but I'm not blind, so it never really bothered me too much. :wink:
I'm not sure of any other manufactures with any similar technology.

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
I,ve seen a couple. usually the people who own them find it very annoying and turn it off.
I haven't used one enough to get annoyed, :)

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
My old computer used it and when it was muffled it was speaking so fast it was hard to understand. For instance my board would always say "CPU FAN FAIL" but my CPU fan was working fine but it would say this error so fast it was hardly understandable. Granted I am from the south and we do speak slower here or so I've been told. Another thing I didn't care for about it is it only works with plugged in speakers or headsets that don't use USB connections which is what my headphones used to I only heard it a couple of times. Either way I hope you enjoy your board when you get it. And keep up the PC loving. -W