Can't see all disk using FDISK

Not quite alltogether W2K, but not sure where else to post.

I want to perform an in place upgrade w2k->w2k3. The plan was to use
Norton Ghost to image the existing system volume to a networked share
prior to performing the upgrade to facilitate a rapid fallback in case
of failure.

However GDISK and FDISK cannot see all the drives only the first one
and since the system volume is on the second drive this is a problem!

The configuration is an Adapatec UW, so the dos boot uses aspiu2.sys.
The adpatec bios and the aspiu2.sys driver correctly report all three
disks as well as the scsi tape unit However both GDISK and FDISK only
'see' the 2 partitions on the first drive.

All disks are configured as BASIC disks in W2K.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Many thanks

I suppose you're booting Ghost from floppy, CD, usb key drive or net.
What's preventing you from changing SCSI address of the drive you want to
image to 0?

Dusko Savatovic

"Alan Morris" <alan@address-witheld.com> wrote in message
> Not quite alltogether W2K, but not sure where else to post.
>
> I want to perform an in place upgrade w2k->w2k3. The plan was to use
> Norton Ghost to image the existing system volume to a networked share
> prior to performing the upgrade to facilitate a rapid fallback in case
> of failure.
>
> However GDISK and FDISK cannot see all the drives only the first one
> and since the system volume is on the second drive this is a problem!
>
> The configuration is an Adapatec UW, so the dos boot uses aspiu2.sys.
> The adpatec bios and the aspiu2.sys driver correctly report all three
> disks as well as the scsi tape unit However both GDISK and FDISK only
> 'see' the 2 partitions on the first drive.
>
> All disks are configured as BASIC disks in W2K.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks

Thanks your idea, the reason I haven't done this is that the plan was
to image to a partition on the 3rd hard drive, one of the ones that is
not visible. I guess it would be possible to do as you suggest and
then image to a network share, but at present I don't have another
system with enough free space.

On an ongoing basis, tt would be very useful to be able to 'image
backup' whether to another internal drive or network share and
changinmg scsi IDs is impractical for this.

I do not understand why FDISK or GDISK cannot see the other 2 drives.

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:30:13 +0100, "Dusko Savatovic"
<savatovic.removespam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I suppose you're booting Ghost from floppy, CD, usb key drive or net.
>What's preventing you from changing SCSI address of the drive you want to
>image to 0?
>
>Dusko Savatovic
>

>"Alan Morris" <alan@address-witheld.com> wrote in message
>> Not quite alltogether W2K, but not sure where else to post.
>>
>> I want to perform an in place upgrade w2k->w2k3. The plan was to use
>> Norton Ghost to image the existing system volume to a networked share
>> prior to performing the upgrade to facilitate a rapid fallback in case
>> of failure.
>>
>> However GDISK and FDISK cannot see all the drives only the first one
>> and since the system volume is on the second drive this is a problem!
>>
>> The configuration is an Adapatec UW, so the dos boot uses aspiu2.sys.
>> The adpatec bios and the aspiu2.sys driver correctly report all three
>> disks as well as the scsi tape unit However both GDISK and FDISK only
>> 'see' the 2 partitions on the first drive.
>>
>> All disks are configured as BASIC disks in W2K.
>>
>> Can anyone offer any suggestions?
>>
>> Many thanks

Perhaps you need a special driver for your disk controler.
Adaptec is rather common type and I didn't have any problems with it in the
past.

Perhaps this other tip may help.

Ghost 8.0 Enterprise editition has Ghost32.exe. This runs under 32-bit OS
(unlike regular Ghost.exe which is a 16-bit app). You can use WindowsPE or
BartPE (PE stands for Preinstall Environment) to boot your minimum WinXP
config with 32-bit drivers for your hardware (Adaptec, NIC). You can then
use 32-bit disk imaging tools. Use diskpart for partitoning and Ghost32.exe
for cloning.

> Thanks your idea, the reason I haven't done this is that the plan was
> to image to a partition on the 3rd hard drive, one of the ones that is
> not visible. I guess it would be possible to do as you suggest and
> then image to a network share, but at present I don't have another
> system with enough free space.
>
> On an ongoing basis, tt would be very useful to be able to 'image
> backup' whether to another internal drive or network share and
> changinmg scsi IDs is impractical for this.
>
> I do not understand why FDISK or GDISK cannot see the other 2 drives.
>
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:30:13 +0100, "Dusko Savatovic"
> <savatovic.removespam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I suppose you're booting Ghost from floppy, CD, usb key drive or net.
>>What's preventing you from changing SCSI address of the drive you want to
>>image to 0?
>>
>>Dusko Savatovic
>>

>>"Alan Morris" <alan@address-witheld.com> wrote in message
>>> Not quite alltogether W2K, but not sure where else to post.
>>>
>>> I want to perform an in place upgrade w2k->w2k3. The plan was to use
>>> Norton Ghost to image the existing system volume to a networked share
>>> prior to performing the upgrade to facilitate a rapid fallback in case
>>> of failure.
>>>
>>> However GDISK and FDISK cannot see all the drives only the first one
>>> and since the system volume is on the second drive this is a problem!
>>>
>>> The configuration is an Adapatec UW, so the dos boot uses aspiu2.sys.
>>> The adpatec bios and the aspiu2.sys driver correctly report all three
>>> disks as well as the scsi tape unit However both GDISK and FDISK only
>>> 'see' the 2 partitions on the first drive.
>>>
>>> All disks are configured as BASIC disks in W2K.
>>>
>>> Can anyone offer any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Many thanks

Dusko,

Thanks your advice, I have used the Bart PE you suggested to backup
the system and have subsequently successfully upgraded without a
problem.

I haven't figured out why ghost, gdisk or fdisk cannot see the three
drives. If I disable int13 support on the adaptec they can't see
anything so this proves that for some reason the adpu82.sys driver
isn't working for me.

I checked the adpatec site which suggests things such as checking for
shared IRQs and have followed such suggestions. I really don't
understand it.

Many thanks your input.

Regards,

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 10:27:43 +0100, "Dusko Savatovic"
<savatovic.removespam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Perhaps you need a special driver for your disk controler.
>Adaptec is rather common type and I didn't have any problems with it in the
>past.
>
>Perhaps this other tip may help.
>
>Ghost 8.0 Enterprise editition has Ghost32.exe. This runs under 32-bit OS
>(unlike regular Ghost.exe which is a 16-bit app). You can use WindowsPE or
>BartPE (PE stands for Preinstall Environment) to boot your minimum WinXP
>config with 32-bit drivers for your hardware (Adaptec, NIC). You can then
>use 32-bit disk imaging tools. Use diskpart for partitoning and Ghost32.exe
>for cloning.
>
>Dusko Savatovic
>

>"Alan Morris" <alan@address-witheld.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks your idea, the reason I haven't done this is that the plan was
>> to image to a partition on the 3rd hard drive, one of the ones that is
>> not visible. I guess it would be possible to do as you suggest and
>> then image to a network share, but at present I don't have another
>> system with enough free space.
>>
>> On an ongoing basis, tt would be very useful to be able to 'image
>> backup' whether to another internal drive or network share and
>> changinmg scsi IDs is impractical for this.
>>
>> I do not understand why FDISK or GDISK cannot see the other 2 drives.
>>
>> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:30:13 +0100, "Dusko Savatovic"
>> <savatovic.removespam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I suppose you're booting Ghost from floppy, CD, usb key drive or net.
>>>What's preventing you from changing SCSI address of the drive you want to
>>>image to 0?
>>>
>>>Dusko Savatovic
>>>

>>>"Alan Morris" <alan@address-witheld.com> wrote in message

Ash

I Had the same problem w2k does not support large disks
this is the remedy i was given hope it is useful and you can backup your
hard drives

After the install you can apply the reghack in this article.

48-Bit LBA Support for ATAPI Disk Drives in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Ash" wrote:
| "i attempt to install windows 2000 professional it works fine but if i
| install in partition in a later part of the hard disk it fails and i get a
| message reinstall windows root ntoskrnl.exe which i read a bout but thats
not
| the problem"
|
| is there any way of getting windows 2000 of recognising Sata hard disks
well
| over 128GB?
|
| I have dell dimension 8300
| Hitachi deskstar 160GB sata hard disk
| Seagate barracuda 200GB sata Hard disk

Expand AllCollapse All

"Alan Morris" wrote:

> Not quite alltogether W2K, but not sure where else to post.
>
> I want to perform an in place upgrade w2k->w2k3. The plan was to use
> Norton Ghost to image the existing system volume to a networked share
> prior to performing the upgrade to facilitate a rapid fallback in case
> of failure.
>
> However GDISK and FDISK cannot see all the drives only the first one
> and since the system volume is on the second drive this is a problem!
>
> The configuration is an Adapatec UW, so the dos boot uses aspiu2.sys.
> The adpatec bios and the aspiu2.sys driver correctly report all three
> disks as well as the scsi tape unit However both GDISK and FDISK only
> 'see' the 2 partitions on the first drive.
>
> All disks are configured as BASIC disks in W2K.
>
> Can anyone offer any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks

TRENDING THREADS