Migrate Windows 2000 Server

I have a current windows 2000 DC that I will be removing from the network. I
have a new server that I have installed windows 2000 server on. What are the
steps required to transfer all control over to the new server so I can demote
the old 2000 server?
1 answer Last reply
More about migrate windows 2000 server

    Hi,

    I like to do things like this:

    1. Install support tools from the server cd on both servers.
    2. Run DCdiag on the DC server to check all is well. Run Netdiag on DC
    also.
    3. Run Netdiag on new server, patch it, etc.
    4. Promo DC2.
    5. Wait a bit for replication. Run DCdiag on both DCs to make sure all is
    well.
    6. Grab FSMO roles and transfer to DC2.

    HOW TO: View and Transfer FSMO Roles in the Graphical User Interface
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255690

    7. DCDiag both servers.
    8. Make sure WINS, DNS, DHCP, etc are transfered. Transfer any file shares.

    How to move a DHCP database to another Windows server
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;130642

    How to move Windows 2000 DNS zones to another Windows 2000-based server
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;280061
    (I usually make DC's DNS AD integrated for this step)

    9. Turn off DC1 for a bit to test DC2 is coping ok. Then promo DC1 down.
    Remember you can't rename DC2 afterwards so choose your names carefully.

    --
    Scott Baldridge
    Windows Server MVP, MCSE

    "Blandis"
    >I have a current windows 2000 DC that I will be removing from the network.
    > have a new server that I have installed windows 2000 server on. What are
    > the
    > steps required to transfer all control over to the new server so I can
    > demote
    > the old 2000 server?

Migrate Windows 2000 Servers Windows